Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 16-11-2017, 03:32 AM
Master
There is no you

'There is no you' is the basic tenet of non-duality. I think it means to say that there isn't a personal/individual awareness, only an individualised experience - no one is here to experience it.
Old 16-11-2017, 05:30 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
'There is no you' is the basic tenet of non-duality. I think it means to say that there isn't a personal/individual awareness, only an individualised experience - no one is here to experience it.

The main teaching is that Oneness is the only reality, so all that we see around us, including ourselves, is the appearance of difference where there is no difference whatsoever.
Old 16-11-2017, 05:59 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem

There are variations of view within what has been labelled "Neo Advaita". Some beleive "There is no you" is the main teaching. Others do not.

Both are based on the assertion that Oneness is the only reality so all that we see, including ourselves, is an appearance of difference where there is no difference whatsoever. So if follows that in reality there is no such thing as a separate person.

For some, Oneness as the only reality, means the main teaching is that there is no-one who can become enlightened.

For others, Oneness as the only reality, means the main teaching is that there is no possibility of being disconnected from Oneness regardless of what state you are in, because it is already Oneness arising as that state, so no need for for a path or practise to get where you are already at! The cry then goes out that that must be realized, completely overlooking that it is already Oneness not realizing. So realization will not in any way increase your conection to Oneness!

Basically these two teachings amount to the same thing. Disconnection is impossible.
Old 16-11-2017, 07:39 AM
Master
It is difficult to say.

In all of the teachings of advaita vedanta, it says; "you are that" or "that thou art"...if there is no 'you', then there is only 'that'...which is also true as it stands.

When we are operating from the 'higher mind', who 'we' are in regards to our undifferentated Self, IS Brahman, and yet, Brahman alone exists.

We can have the direct experience of being in the awareness where even 'Self' does not exist i.e. when there is no 'experience' or a 'Me/You' who experiences it because all IS the experience itself....but the moment any rationalisation of the awareness happens (without the Self who is 'Self-aware') then, the 'Me/You' comes back into the equation and it becomes 'You/Me is Brahman' in regards to that which we don't associate as being a "You" or a 'Me' anyway.
Old 16-11-2017, 08:26 AM
Master
Non-duality is a philosophy masquerading as The Truth IMO, especially the ridiculous neo-advaitan conclusions. Too intellectual, too shallow, and not enough in the body and heart. Just my opinion of course.
Old 16-11-2017, 08:29 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
It is difficult to say.

In all of the teachings of advaita vedanta, it says; "you are that" or "that thou art"...if there is no 'you', then there is only 'that'...which is also true as it stands.

When we are operating from the 'higher mind', who 'we' are in regards to our undifferentated Self, IS Brahman, and yet, Brahman alone exists.

We can have the direct experience of being in the awareness where even 'Self' does not exist i.e. when there is no 'experience' or a 'Me/You' who experiences it because all IS the experience itself....but the moment any rationalisation of the awareness happens (without the Self who is 'Self-aware') then, the 'Me/You' comes back into the equation and it becomes 'You/Me is Brahman' in regards to that which we don't associate as being a "You" or a 'Me' anyway.

We also have ' I am...that...I am..... it's all good fun
Old 16-11-2017, 08:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by django
Non-duality is a philosophy masquerading as The Truth IMO, especially the ridiculous neo-advaitan conclusions. Too intellectual, too shallow, and not enough in the body and heart. Just my opinion of course.
I agree somewhat...and yet, as a classical Advaita Vedantin...who also happens to be a Bhakti Yogi...yeah, I know...I know. lol

What are the main differences between Advaita Vedanta and Neo-Advaita and what is it that mankind seems to 'repackage' under any new/neo idealism when what is even 'masquerading' as The Truth cannot be any more 'truer' with the passage of time?

It has me stumped, it really does.
Old 16-11-2017, 11:22 AM
Master
When and where there is a you there is a you, when and where there isn't, there isn't .

Peeps for some reason seem to get confused when and where there is and when and where there isn't .

When there isn't a you, you won't know there isn't and for starters one wouldn't be here saying there isn't .

All you can know is when there is a you to know .

x daz x
Old 16-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
It is difficult to say.

Whether the me/you is present or not makes no difference in terms of connection. Oneness manifests as the me/you present and also as the me/you not present.
Old 16-11-2017, 11:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamit
Whether the me/you is present or not makes no difference in terms of connection. Oneness manifests as the me/you present and also as the me/you not present.
Is it a good thing that I did not understand a word you just typed?