Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 23-05-2015, 06:13 PM
Ascender

Welcome to the Human Condition
Old 23-05-2015, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simenon
Some times I wish there was no afterlife;
part of me would like to disappear into nothingness.
But my sense is there is only life in different forms, no real final death.
Wouldn't you say this is because you 'really' want peace of mind, happiness, joy and love and want
to escape the 'suffering' of this world in all it's forms; disappointment, despair,
loneliness, shame, hunger, stress...should I go on? hahaha

Because if eternal life meant FUN...we'd all like that, right?!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 23-05-2015, 07:54 PM
Whats Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal68
Obviously if there turns out to be no afterlife, then this is the natural state of affairs. I find the idea terrifying, atheists generally seem unperturbed by it, It's just impossible to imagine isn't it??

You couldn't even be aware of blackness as there is no you to perceive it, How can a conscious being experience non existence?? Its mindblowing. It would be as if you never existed, past, present & future all erased. It makes me dizzy thinking about it! It bothers me more actually that might have happened to my mum & dad but it's still so abstract, to not perceive even not perceiving.

Thoughts on this??

If upon death, you cease all thought, how can you know if you're actually in a non-existence state? If on the other hand, once you physically die, and your thoughts do continue, will any of what we do have any meaning? Which is why I believe we continue.
It becomes a question of what came first, the chicken or the egg? Did we exist before coming into this life, and will we continue when our bodies die? Either way you slice it, existing at all will be meaningless if we end at all.

.......you can go crazy thinking about this!
Old 23-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Knower

But why does our existence have to have a meaning? If I randomly pick a word from a dictionary, does that word suddenly gain extra meaning?
Old 23-05-2015, 08:06 PM
Whats Next

Quote:
Obviously if there turns out to be no afterlife, then this is the natural state of affairs. I find the idea terrifying, atheists generally seem unperturbed by it, It's just impossible to imagine isn't it??

You couldn't even be aware of blackness as there is no you to perceive it, How can a conscious being experience non existence?? Its mindblowing. It would be as if you never existed, past, present & future all erased. It makes me dizzy thinking about it! It bothers me more actually that might have happened to my mum & dad but it's still so abstract, to not perceive even not perceiving.

Thoughts on this??

If upon death, you cease all thought, how can you know if you're actually in a non-existence state? If on the other hand, once you physically die, and your thoughts do continue, will any of what we do have any meaning? Which is why I believe we continue.
It becomes a question of what came first, the chicken or the egg? Did we exist before coming into this life, and will we continue when our bodies die? Either way you slice it, existing at all will be meaningless if we end at all.

.......you can go crazy thinking about this!
Old 23-05-2015, 08:06 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by In vita mea
But why does our existence have to have a meaning? If I randomly pick a word from a dictionary, does that word suddenly gain extra meaning?

well, Sentient Existence might innately seek meaning and explanation simply because It (presumably) emerges, without reason or explanation, from unfathomable Nothingness.

it's your life. isn't It a mystery?
Old 23-05-2015, 08:38 PM
cheshire♠

The human mind cannot comprehend true nothing.

But if you wish to get atleast an idea of it try finding a plane called cataclysm. Just look into it don't actually go into it.
Old 23-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Neville

Quote:
I find the idea terrifying

Really ? You do it most days..The timeless deep void of blackness called Delta wave sleep( When the Brain hovers just above 0 hertz Nil Brain activity.). What could possibly be bad about such a natural state in perpetuity ?

I am more worried about not getting off so lightly as deep sleep in perpetuity.
Old 26-05-2015, 10:35 AM
Simenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Wouldn't you say this is because you 'really' want peace of mind, happiness, joy and love and want
to escape the 'suffering' of this world in all it's forms; disappointment, despair,
loneliness, shame, hunger, stress...should I go on? hahaha

Because if eternal life meant FUN...we'd all like that, right?!

YOU COULD BE RIGHT. BUT PART OF ME IS DRAWN TO EMBRACING NOTHINGNESS...FOR ITS OWN SAKE, I THINK
Old 25-06-2015, 04:53 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville
Really ? You do it most days..The timeless deep void of blackness called Delta wave sleep( When the Brain hovers just above 0 hertz Nil Brain activity.). What could possibly be bad about such a natural state in perpetuity ?

I am more worried about not getting off so lightly as deep sleep in perpetuity.

We don't actually ever perceive that blackness in any way though do we?
Like going to sleep, you are only in darkness because you close your eyes, are in a pitch black room to begin with or bury your face in the pillow. You never find yourself actually consciously in a state of blackness. I read that even totally blind people don't actually see blackness, they literally see "nothing" - Impossible for sighted people to imagine! This thing of death (if it is final and no continuity) and being in a long, dark sleep is just a human construct.

I wonder just suppose there is no afterlife, maybe we still are unable to experience non experience in a real sense, in the sense that we have no awareness of the billions of years before us and are just "here" and we will still feel lie we are here even when billions of years pass without us in the universe. Perhaps to our subjective pov we can never die or cease to experience? We are bookended on both sides by eons of nonlife and can only be ever aware of our livespan to our pov. Who knows how perception of time unfolds to a being even if it doesn't actually exist? Maybe we do relive our lives again in a way? Perhaps our lives now have been lived before ala Anthony Peake's Cheating The Ferryman theory? Maybe to the one who dies there can't be non existence because there can only actually be existence?! It's almost a paradox!