Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 15-05-2018, 08:06 PM
Seeker

What Is God?

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the oversimplified title, but I wanted to hopefully grab your attention.

So, I grew a pretty strict Christian due to the fact that my dad was a preacher; however, as I got a little older there was something within me that did not sit well with that religion. The one question that caused my break from Christianity was,

"How is it unconditional love if I am expected to believe in someone I've never met or I will suffer for all of eternity?" Is that not a condition?

Anyways, that left me to wonder what God actually is. Well, I always loved calling our creator Father, mainly because my dad was really not a great fatherly role so I daydreamed of what a great father would be like. But I have come to realize that the creator is so much more.

My best understanding is that he/she/it created all that is with a certain set of laws and then allowed it to evolve it's own consciousness. Is this an accurate assessment?

I understand we will all perceive God in our own ways, but I just wanted to hear other's take or experiences with the Creator
Old 15-05-2018, 09:39 PM
Master
"How is it unconditional love if I am expected to believe in someone I've never met or I will suffer for all of eternity?" Is that not a condition?

Not in relation to what you call God, just about the term, unconditional.
If you need to know someone or something or intent to direct what you understand as love to one thing, person, entity or being,how can it be unconditional? Just by intending to direct it into a direction, creates a condition, does it not?
Old 16-05-2018, 01:06 AM
Seeker

I am confused by the way you worded that. It sounded like you were agreeing with the reason why I asked the question sarcastically. I was not agreeing with the condition I was stating that it created one. I was saying that is why I left Christianity, because of the oxymoron
Old 16-05-2018, 06:04 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnIXght
Hello everyone,

Sorry for the oversimplified title, but I wanted to hopefully grab your attention.

So, I grew a pretty strict Christian due to the fact that my dad was a preacher; however, as I got a little older there was something within me that did not sit well with that religion. The one question that caused my break from Christianity was,

Anyways, that left me to wonder what God actually is. Well, I always loved calling our creator Father, mainly because my dad was really not a great fatherly role so I daydreamed of what a great father would be like. But I have come to realize that the creator is so much more.

My best understanding is that he/she/it created all that is with a certain set of laws and then allowed it to evolve it's own consciousness. Is this an accurate assessment?

I understand we will all perceive God in our own ways, but I just wanted to hear other's take or experiences with the Creator

I ponder that question too "What is God?" and its a tough one.
The easiest answer and probably the correct answer is that "God" is WAY! beyond our human intelligence to comprehend,a bit like a godlfish trying to understand Quantum entanglement ....perhaps we need another few hundred years of evolution and growth to start to understand or perhaps we all need to have a mind like Steven Hawking's had or better.

I don't believe God created any laws,we have freewill to explore ourselves and we learn what our actions bring.This learning takes multiple lifetimes and the good news is that anyone here on these forums began a long long time ago and have learned from many mistakes.....and have learned from many positive experiences

The part about unconditional Love is true.
The part about suffering for Eternity is not.
There are many people who feel God's unconditional love and there are many thoughts and descriptions of this love but it takes surrender and a dropping of our barriers to feel this love
We put up these barriers around us for protection and at the time we needed them but barriers keep EVERYTHING out including God's unconditional Love.
Old 16-05-2018, 06:33 AM
Master
Perhaps God is not exactly a thing that can be captured by concepts, ideologies, and dogma. However, it can sometimes be perceived as the totality of All that Is, Reality Itself, Universal Consciousness, Silence, Presence, Oneness, and Infinite LOVE. To know God is to simply look within Oneself in the Space that transcends the duality of the analytical mind; therein lies the Kingdom of God. :)

♬ ♫ ♪ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtnJUS30olE ♪ ♫ ♬
Old 16-05-2018, 06:59 AM
Seeker

You both move me by your reach towards unconditional love; however, I must say that your thinking is still too basic. A goldfish has no need to understand quantum entanglement because a fish only needs water to breathe. A basic need humans figured out a long time ago with air. As far as the entanglement itself, well, all is entangled my friend. What you do each moment determines your next surprise. As I like to say, "Impulse action always leads to ambush wisdom.". Admitting you know nothing frees your will to take on an even greater foe, and although we have no enemies there are countless tyrants we must overcome to understand why we needed a counterpart to slingshot us beyond understanding. Twins, soulmates, lovers. Use these to explain your indifference, but reach further to grasp natural law. Deny your restrictions and you can never know your allowance. God is nothing, yet, God is the very moment in which we become such. To become everything is to first be open to everything.
Old 16-05-2018, 07:13 AM
Master
Exactly! There is “knowing” through analysis of the human mind and then there is KNOWING through the experience of the Soul for the lack of a better word. The notion of unconditional love is often confused with a projection or aquisition of good feeling emotions. However, LOVE is simply the recognition that there is truly no Other. You are on point to note that sometimes to “know” nothing paradoxically opens up thd mind to experience God more clearly. Good for you and thanks for sharing! ❤️

Old 16-05-2018, 07:46 AM
Master

If we put our minds to a time which we can at least imagine, when there was nothing - not even space, then we see a state when the 'beginning' was yet to happen. When I ponder this possibility and seek the answer to 'how did I get here' then, it seems to me, that what must always have existed is abstractions. Mathematical conceptions need no basis to exist. When nothingness is the state of everything (in our imagination) we can still see the possibility of, in abstract form: triangles, circles and squares. One and one still equals two - even if there is nothing.

Just to take a short cut let's look at the symbol for nothing. It's O. O has an inside and an outside. We could actually say a micro world and a macro world. If you place a l into this O you get a symbol equal to how we see a cell which is about to divide. In other words a symbol of growth. O (nothingness) is therefore a symbol not only of division and the beginning of smallness (fractions) but also the symbol of growth, addition.

So, without going further I tend to think that 'God' is a state of nothingness from which rises, according to mathematical laws (which exist as abstracts) a state of mind.

This state of mind, seeking to discover its own abilities has created worlds outside of itself to experience everything that can possibly be experienced. You and I and all the leaves on all the trees everywhere and all the fish in the seas is all a part of a state of abstract mathematics experiencing all possibilities according to abstract mathematical laws.

There are of course other possibilities, the above is just one.
Old 16-05-2018, 07:56 AM
Master
Each has a 'concept' of what they think or believe God to be...but God is beyond all concepts, all thoughts and all beliefs...God IS the experience of unconditional Love and to feel this, to go beyond our own perceptions takes a few things...Faith, Grace, Surrender...for when 'we' are not, God IS.

The closest I could ever describe it, is a self-aware energetic Consciousness that permeates all matter...all things...vibrating to its own frequency...and God can assume any form, any name...so that a human being can transcend it.

...but i am oversimplifying things here.
Old 16-05-2018, 08:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busby
So, without going further I tend to think that 'God' is a state of nothingness from which rises

That sounds very similar to the Taoist description of the Void. It is this nothingness in which all things arise and all things return to. This nothingness can also be synonymous with Love (not as some heighten emotional state); the unifying marker of All things in existence. I believe quantum mechanics along with the various string theory proposals begins to unravel much of Buddhist and Taoist philosophy in a scientific way that allows for more interesting musings.