Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Old 21-05-2020, 12:12 AM
Master
halter ego

I just painted this scene out of my imagination. (((sigh))) must be wonderful to live it for real. Can anybody relate to this painting? Can you make a story about it? Help me live out my dream on my dream horse.
Old 22-05-2020, 06:27 AM
Master
Beautiful painting.

Hopefully I can come up with a story for the painting.... later.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 22-05-2020, 06:29 AM
Master
Hardest thing I ever did with horses was not riding two horses at once but getting them to jump the hurdle together.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 22-05-2020, 02:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Beautiful painting.

Hopefully I can come up with a story for the painting.... later.
Thank you - looking forward to your story!
Old 02-07-2020, 03:35 PM
Master
Had a nice experience with a horse today. I was walking with my dog and usually we see this beautiful horse from a distance. Light brown-reddish colour..
This time we walked past its field and he came running to us! I petted him and he went full hug mode, lol. Such a nice horsie.
Old 15-07-2020, 10:58 PM
Master
friendly horse

What a lovely memory Altair. Sweet I love to hear horse stories! Haven't been to this thread in a while though.

Since the pandemic I haven't been able to visit my dear horse friend at the farm, but here he is from memory. This is just out of my imagination. I am clueless about bridles and I guess what you call "tack", no idea what's what or what goes where, just that the bridle goes on top and sometimes there's a blanket...so it's just a guess.
Old 15-07-2020, 11:30 PM
Master
Hi Uma

If you want help with the tack (as in what goes where), just let me know.

"But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach thee; and the fowls of the air, and they shall tell thee:

Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee: and the fishes of the sea shall declare unto thee."
Job 12: 7 and 8 (KJV)
Old 16-07-2020, 12:36 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
Hi Uma

If you want help with the tack (as in what goes where), just let me know.

Hi Chrysalis, Yes please! I can see these kinds of labels online but it would help me to know what these bits and pieces are for (for my drawings). Where do the reins go. The bit in the mouth. Just a summary tack 101 if you don't mind. Remember I'm horse-stupid so I don't know where the steering wheel is, the brakes or anything. Or what's essential and what is just extra.
Old 18-07-2020, 12:43 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
Hi Chrysalis, Yes please! I can see these kinds of labels online but it would help me to know what these bits and pieces are for (for my drawings). Where do the reins go. The bit in the mouth. Just a summary tack 101 if you don't mind. Remember I'm horse-stupid so I don't know where the steering wheel is, the brakes or anything. Or what's essential and what is just extra.

Hi

What the picture shows is a horse in Western tack which is different from English tack. The difference is riding style but the function to the parts remain the same. Here we go and hopefully I won't confuse you.

The parts dangling to the ground are the reins which you hold in your hands when riding and leading the horse. This is part of directing the horse where and when to turn, and to slow down or stop. The bit, the metal thing in the horse's mouth, is connected to the reins and your cues to turn, slow down and stop, from the reins is felt in the horse's mouth via the bit. Bits come in different styles and a Western rider would use a curb bit. That bit has a curve going up in the middle of the bar which is inside the mouth.

All the stuff on the horse's head makes the bridle. All the picture did was label parts of the bridle. The curb strap (aka chin strap) is optional and I have no idea what its purpose is as I didn't use one.

The headstall is essential as it keeps the bit in the mouth. The noseband and throat latch are optional as I've seen bridles without those. The throat latch, shown here is too tight, is more necessary compared to a noseband. The piece that goes across the horse's forehead is called a brow band and comes in different styles. The brow band helps keep the headstall evenly placed on the head so is essential.

The tie down thing is to stop a horse from tossing its head. A tie down is specific to Western riding and is optional depending on the horse. An English rider would use something different and is optional but serves the same purpose.

Breast collar, up tugs and latigo are used to keep the saddle from sliding back but can be fixed by getting a better saddle. Other than that, it's for looks unless you're roping cattle.

The saddle blanket protects the horse's back from getting rubbed by the saddle.

Saddle strings are for looks unless you want to tie up something.

I see some Spanish words which don't help me any as I don't know what a latigo carrier is.

The cinch is to keep the saddle on the horse regardless of what the rider does.

The back cinch is optional and in the picture, it's too tight. You should be able to fit a fist between that and the horse. The thing between the cinch and back cinch doesn't seem to serve a purpose as it's optional. If you're going to rope cattle, then you'll probably need a back cinch to help keep the saddle on.

At the front of the saddle, is the poker upper thing and is called the saddle horn. Good for wrapping a rope around it when roping a calf. You can use saddle strings to tie up a rope until you're ready to use it. Same thing for a water canteen. Maybe tie up a rifle with the front and back saddle strings.

Saddlebags are optional unless you want to pack stuff in it for the trail.

Stirrups are where the feet go. Your legs are part of the steering so work with the reins. You also use legs to cue the horse to go faster. You can use your body to slow down and turn the horse. I'm not sure if a horse in Western tack would be able to feel your body shift by just turning your head. The reins are for the front end of the horse, your legs are for the horse's body so both work together for turning a horse though you can use only the reins. For English, reins, legs and body are used to bend the horse around your leg when turning. Western style of riding isn't concerned with bending the horse's body as much. The cues for turning the horse are different for the riding styles and so is holding the reins.

I hope that helped.

"But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach thee; and the fowls of the air, and they shall tell thee:

Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee: and the fishes of the sea shall declare unto thee."
Job 12: 7 and 8 (KJV)
Old 25-07-2020, 04:40 PM
Master
Oh Chrysalis, I'm just seeing this for the first time - thank you so much, this is wonderful! Poor horse, they put on everything too tight just for a photo! Your descriptions really really help me understand what these things are there for. I had no idea this was a Western tack - I just grabbed any old picture off internet.

I wonder what the bare minimum tack is required just to ride a horse (apart from bare back). I need to find a photo of that somewhere. All this equipment is a pain to draw.

Speaking of which I took off all the tack in my drawing of this powerful "cart horse" I met who had a lot of personality and curiosity. I hope you like her (I think it was a mare). I don't know what type it was - mostly white with dappled grey. Very spirited.