Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 13-12-2019, 08:50 PM
Pathfinder

Did god inspire all religions

Lately ive been wondering if I should accept the belief that all religions are inspired by god, is there any merit to this belief?
Old 13-12-2019, 09:35 PM
Ascender

No, Buddhism doesn't require a belief in God and I'm sure that there's one or two other religions that are similar in that aspect.
Old 25-03-2020, 01:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunc
No, Buddhism doesn't require a belief in God and I'm sure that there's one or two other religions that are similar in that aspect.

But.......... a lot of the Buddhist I know, pray to their God/god.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 25-03-2020, 08:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
But.......... a lot of the Buddhist I know, pray to their God/god.

Then they are not following Buddha's Teachings....

There are different types of worship. When someone worships a god, they praise and honor him or her, make offerings and ask for favors, believing that the god will hear their praise, receive their offerings and answer their prayers. Buddhists do not indulge in this kind of worship. The other kind of worship is when we show respect to someone or something we admire. When a teacher walks into the room we stand up, when we meet a dignitary we shake their hand, when the national anthem is played we salute. These are all gestures of respect and worship and indicate our admiration for certain persons or things. This is the type of worship Buddhists practice. A statue of the Buddha with its hands rested gently in its lap and its compassionate smile reminds us to strive to develop peace and love within ourselves. The perfume of incense reminds us of the pervading influence of virtue, the lamp reminds us of the light of knowledge and the flowers which soon fade and die, remind us of impermanence. When we bow, we express outwardly what we feel inwardly; our gratitude to the Buddha for what his teachings have given us. This is the nature of Buddhist worship.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/qanda01.htm
Old 27-03-2020, 06:24 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Then they are not following Buddha's Teachings....

There are different types of worship. When someone worships a god, they praise and honor him or her, make offerings and ask for favors, believing that the god will hear their praise, receive their offerings and answer their prayers. Buddhists do not indulge in this kind of worship. The other kind of worship is when we show respect to someone or something we admire. When a teacher walks into the room we stand up, when we meet a dignitary we shake their hand, when the national anthem is played we salute. These are all gestures of respect and worship and indicate our admiration for certain persons or things. This is the type of worship Buddhists practice. A statue of the Buddha with its hands rested gently in its lap and its compassionate smile reminds us to strive to develop peace and love within ourselves. The perfume of incense reminds us of the pervading influence of virtue, the lamp reminds us of the light of knowledge and the flowers which soon fade and die, remind us of impermanence. When we bow, we express outwardly what we feel inwardly; our gratitude to the Buddha for what his teachings have given us. This is the nature of Buddhist worship.

In which case I suspect that many Buddhists are not practising Buddhist worship, instead praying to Buddha to hear and answer their prayers.

And those who follow other beliefs are not necessarily just wanting their god to answer their prayers. They too may be striving to develop peace and love and other virtues.

The way that I see it is that it is not a question of which belief we follow, but more a question of where we stand in our own development. Many people, whatever their particular religion (including Buddhism), will pray to their deity to improve their material circumstances and bring about particular events. Others, whatever their particular religion, will use worship as an opportunity to praise their deity and express their devotion without thought of reward. The particular deity they pray to usually just depends on the culture they were born into.

Peace
Old 25-03-2020, 03:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunc

And it is not suppose to be a religion either
Old 13-12-2019, 10:32 PM
Pathfinder

Just because a religion doesnt require a belief in god doesnt mean it wasnt inspired by god
Old 11-02-2020, 10:43 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickswordfish
Just because a religion doesnt require a belief in god doesnt mean it wasnt inspired by god

Rickswordfish,

This was overlooked. You have made the best point in relation to your original question. For example, I could be inspired(by God) to start my own religion but as soon as the word 'requirement' appears the validity of that religion is eroded. I started this religion by means of freely determining what is best and logical, etc. but then I turn around and take away the freedom of others to stipulate requirements ? I don't think so.....one can belong to or worship within the framework of different religions but, nevertheless, retain your own freedom to believe and discover what you will. There is no need to make some big point about what you believe that seems to be at odds with a particular religions beliefs......accept what you personally believe and allow others the same rights.
Old 14-02-2020, 02:54 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Rickswordfish,

This was overlooked. You have made the best point in relation to your original question. For example, I could be inspired(by God) to start my own religion but as soon as the word 'requirement' appears the validity of that religion is eroded. I started this religion by means of freely determining what is best and logical, etc. but then I turn around and take away the freedom of others to stipulate requirements ? I don't think so.....one can belong to or worship within the framework of different religions but, nevertheless, retain your own freedom to believe and discover what you will. There is no need to make some big point about what you believe that seems to be at odds with a particular religions beliefs......accept what you personally believe and allow others the same rights.
'Requirements' can be minimized.

For example, I belonged to one 'religion' that had almost no 'requirements'. About the only 'requirements' were, if somebody wanted to do the talk, meditation, etc. then they would have to appear first in line for that meeting in order to do that part. This applied to anybody and it should be noted that there was no membership. It was suspected 'order' was maintained by the 'Holy Spirit' keeping order.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 14-12-2019, 07:59 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickswordfish
Lately ive been wondering if I should accept the belief that all religions are inspired by god, is there any merit to this belief?

Hardly, even I could have done a better job.

The constantly promoted belief (induced by religions) that we are born to be good and obey (in order to enter heaven) is a tragic error in the concept of the universe's plan and an insult to mankind's intellect.

'A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory'
- Mark Twain.