Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 31-03-2018, 04:38 PM
Newbie ;)

Counterarguments to "your beliefs create your reality"

"There are no limitations to the self. You are only limited by your beliefs. Your beliefs create your reality."

While I'd like to accept these statements as true, I've found 2 counterarguments to them.

1. If these statements are true, then I would want to be luxuriously self-indulgent. I would want to eat all the chocolate and delicious food that I want and not get fat. I would want to have a great body, muscular with six-pack abs, without spending much time and effort working out or watching my diet. I would want to get money without working for it. I would want to get all the sex I want without getting tired and with whomever I want without getting rejected. But this is not how the world works: if I eat too much, I get fat; I won't get a great body without working out; I won't get any money if I don't work for it; I can't have sex as frequently as I want or with whomever I want. So if these statements are true, why can't I get all these things that I want?

2. Why would people who overestimate their ability fail? There is no shortage in the world of incidents of people who overestimate their ability but fail miserably in whatever they set out to do. These people overly believe in their ability, and very often they themselves are the only ones unaware of their overestimation and may even refuse to listen to the advice of their friends. If they have such strong belief in their ability, why then would they fail if "your beliefs create your reality"?

3. Also, I see a problem that these statements can cause if they are true: they can be applied in ways that are unscientific and unfair. It is basic science that if I consume more calories than I burn, I get fat. So if I can, just by believing so, wish away all the extra calories after eating, then doesn't this run contrary to established scientific fact? So if I can, just by believing so, influence/determine the outcome of a scientific experiment or measurement on a whim, then wouldn't it be meaningless to conduct any scientific experiment or measurement? And if scientific experiments and measurements are meaningless, how could it be possible that science makes technological advancement and improves our lives? Also, does "your beliefs create your reality" mean that if I believe that global warming is fake news, then the Earth will not undergo global warming? So would people who do not believe in global warming and therefore continue to pollute the planet shift themselves to a universe where there is no global warming? So if you did something wrong or illegal, could you wish away the consequences, such as a fine or a jail term, simply by believing strongly that you won't get them? If so, then these statements not only go against science, but also justice.
Old 31-03-2018, 05:33 PM
Master
Its a con, snake oil ..

To me the spiritual self help books really kicked in during the 1980's.

They were more aimed at housewives who were feeling down about their lives.

Telling them that they create their own reality gave them hope that they weren't just the "old ball and chain" or "the little woman".

Ladies back then were likely reading self help for diet, exercise, fashion & spirituality.

I think of the idea as the spiritual equivalent of Thai-Bo or P90x. Its a mixture of ideas that have been out there & useful to the very dedicated but repackaged as an easy fix for anyone that desires change.

The notion has always been a fad to me since as a child you really do believe that your the Green Lantern, that you can fly & save the world (creating a reality). Once you leap the bump reveals that - actually your not.

Many will talk about us being in a sort of dream world but for me that's quite dangerous to convince others that consequences are irrelevant.

~

That's not to dismiss the power of being positive - you can essentially become your own cheerleader & encourage yourself to grab some dreams.

Not all of them will materialize however & I think that echoes what is said in the OP.

"I am your creation.
Now, as before - you criticise your own work."

- Legacy Of Kain
Old 31-03-2018, 08:17 PM
Master

I suggest, you guys give a try to altered states of consciousness, to find out the answers by yourselves!

After that, compare notes with Seth, Abraham, ...

It's easy to dismiss what you don't comprehend.
Old 31-03-2018, 09:04 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
I suggest, you guys give a try to altered states of consciousness, to find out the answers by yourselves!

After that, compare notes with Seth, Abraham, ...

It's easy to dismiss what you don't comprehend.

I've done Salvia & been through the Stargate type wormhole if that meets your seal of approval?

Comprehension is a little bit presumptuous as well - how could random internet poster no: 38649836436483 have any idea what either myself or the OP has witnessed or understands?

The burden of proof lies with those claiming the fantastically impossible I'm sorry to tell you..

"I am your creation.

- Legacy Of Kain
Old 31-03-2018, 10:10 PM
Master

There are conscious beliefs and there is our subconscious programming. We can use affirmations and visualisation to change our conscious beliefs, but we are driven by our subconscious programming. If our subconscious programming contradicts our conscious beliefs then these conscious beliefs will always fall short.

So perhaps people who over-estimate their abilities fail because they are consciously over-compensating for their subconscious beliefs that they are in fact failures. They are driven to succeed precisely because they believe they are failures, and without changing their subconscious beliefs no amount of success will convince them that they are not failures. And sooner or later they will fail, thus confirming their subconscious beliefs.

You say what you want:

I would want to be luxuriously self-indulgent. I would want to eat all the chocolate and delicious food that I want and not get fat. I would want to have a great body, muscular with six-pack abs, without spending much time and effort working out or watching my diet. I would want to get money without working for it. I would want to get all the sex I want without getting tired and with whomever I want without getting rejected.

But you also say what you really believe:

But this is not how the world works: if I eat too much, I get fat; I won't get a great body without working out; I won't get any money if I don't work for it; I can't have sex as frequently as I want or with whomever I want.

So there is more to manifestation than simply saying what we want.

You also say: Also, does "your beliefs create your reality" mean that if I believe that global warming is fake news, then the Earth will not undergo global warming?

A counterargument could be that millions of people do believe that global warming is real and therefore your lone belief is not powerful enough to counteract the beliefs of all these other people. Even if millions of people also believe that global warming is 'fake news", the actuality of climate change does not depend on which group has the stronger beliefs.

Because what we believe determines how we feel and how we act. The problems of climate change come down to the belief that it is OK to exploit the Earth and its resources for the sake of generating wealth; it is OK to live in a manner which is not sustainable for the sake of a short-term gain. Future generations will have to deal with the consequences of these beliefs. They will have to deal with the problems which are now being created, so their beliefs will be different, their feelings will be different, and their actions will be different.

But to get back to the original theme, our experiences in life are created by our subconscious programming. In order for our conscious beliefs to create a different reality we have to become free of our subconscious programming and develop the mental ability to effectively focus on creating what we do want. The simple fact is that most of us lack this ability to apply sustained mental concentration to manifest our choices.

Peace.
Old 31-03-2018, 11:52 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raziel
I've done Salvia & been through the Stargate type wormhole if that meets your seal of approval?

IMG

Comprehension is a little bit presumptuous as well - how could random internet poster no: 38649836436483 have any idea what either myself or the OP has witnessed or understands?

The burden of proof lies with those claiming the fantastically impossible I'm sorry to tell you..

Do you mean that you don't have the burden of proof of your claims, while others should have to prove their doubts about your claims? It's a surprising idea ...

I don't know what "savia" are you referring to, and I doubt there are any "stargate type wormholes". This doesn't mean that I call you a liar; just I doubt your affirmations in these posts.

If I had solid proof of the contrary, I wouldn't have engaged you in a discussion. I'm always willing to learn something new. So, if you're willing to explain more, please do it!

I believe we create our reality, and my belief comes from what I learned while under hypnotic trance, and obe's. Then I found confirmation reading Seth, and Abraham. I also experimented with it, and experienced pretty convincing results.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:33 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
There are conscious beliefs and there is our subconscious programming. We can use affirmations and visualisation to change our conscious beliefs, but we are driven by our subconscious programming. If our subconscious programming contradicts our conscious beliefs then these conscious beliefs will always fall short.

So perhaps people who over-estimate their abilities fail because they are consciously over-compensating for their subconscious beliefs that they are in fact failures. They are driven to succeed precisely because they believe they are failures, and without changing their subconscious beliefs no amount of success will convince them that they are not failures. And sooner or later they will fail, thus confirming their subconscious beliefs.

You say what you want:

I would want to be luxuriously self-indulgent. I would want to eat all the chocolate and delicious food that I want and not get fat. I would want to have a great body, muscular with six-pack abs, without spending much time and effort working out or watching my diet. I would want to get money without working for it. I would want to get all the sex I want without getting tired and with whomever I want without getting rejected.

But you also say what you really believe:

But this is not how the world works: if I eat too much, I get fat; I won't get a great body without working out; I won't get any money if I don't work for it; I can't have sex as frequently as I want or with whomever I want.

So there is more to manifestation than simply saying what we want.

You also say: Also, does "your beliefs create your reality" mean that if I believe that global warming is fake news, then the Earth will not undergo global warming?

A counterargument could be that millions of people do believe that global warming is real and therefore your lone belief is not powerful enough to counteract the beliefs of all these other people. Even if millions of people also believe that global warming is 'fake news", the actuality of climate change does not depend on which group has the stronger beliefs.

Because what we believe determines how we feel and how we act. The problems of climate change come down to the belief that it is OK to exploit the Earth and its resources for the sake of generating wealth; it is OK to live in a manner which is not sustainable for the sake of a short-term gain. Future generations will have to deal with the consequences of these beliefs. They will have to deal with the problems which are now being created, so their beliefs will be different, their feelings will be different, and their actions will be different.

But to get back to the original theme, our experiences in life are created by our subconscious programming. In order for our conscious beliefs to create a different reality we have to become free of our subconscious programming and develop the mental ability to effectively focus on creating what we do want. The simple fact is that most of us lack this ability to apply sustained mental concentration to manifest our choices.

Peace.

You touched many points there; our views partly overlap, and partly don't.

Reality creation isn't done by democratic vote: each one creates only their own reality, and nobody else's.

Most (all ?) of us are intellectually too physical-centric to intellectually compensate for our lack of knowledge.

Our good intentions (exactly: what we think to be good intentions) can't compensate for our ignorance, both the innate part and the induced part.

The lack of manifestation of our choices isn't caused by our lack of ability to apply sustained mental concentration, but because we aren't doing it right.

If one wants to substitute their conscious wishes (after all, there is genuine free will), while in trance (when the communication path is open), give your subconscious the suggestion to replace all your beliefs with your conscious wishes.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:43 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness
"There are no limitations to the self. You are only limited by your beliefs. Your beliefs create your reality."

"There are no limitations to the Self"
It depends what we understand by the Self. But no matter what our understanding is, everything exists within a certain range of frequency, and it is this rang that restricts us.
"You are only limited by your beliefs"
Sure believes can be a great hindrance to the personality. But not the greatest one.
"Your beliefs create your reality"
To a degree. We need to understand, every reality has an energy framework, which allows a certain set of experiences to occur through them we are able to progress in a certain direction.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:30 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Do you mean that you don't have the burden of proof of your claims, while others should have to prove their doubts about your claims? It's a surprising idea ...

I don't know what "savia" are you referring to, and I doubt there are any "stargate type wormholes". This doesn't mean that I call you a liar; just I doubt your affirmations in these posts.

If I had solid proof of the contrary, I wouldn't have engaged you in a discussion. I'm always willing to learn something new. So, if you're willing to explain more, please do it!

I believe we create our reality, and my belief comes from what I learned while under hypnotic trance, and obe's. Then I found confirmation reading Seth, and Abraham. I also experimented with it, and experienced pretty convincing results.

I know for a fact that we all share the same reality - if any of us stood in front of a moving train we would die. If any of us went without water ... we would die ..

We look at the same reality from various angles but we are all bound by the same laws or gravity etc.

Salvia is a drug - a less potent type of vision quest type of experience.

Anything that is 2nd hand information is less reliable than actual repeatable experience.

The SETH material writer had an odd childhood, she also charged for personal Seth sessions - do you not see warning signs there?

"I am your creation.

- Legacy Of Kain
Old 01-04-2018, 09:25 AM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness

While I'd like to accept these statements as true, I've found 2 counterarguments to them.

1. If these statements are true, then I would want to be luxuriously self-indulgent. I would want to eat all the chocolate and delicious food that I want and not get fat. I would want to have a great body, muscular with six-pack abs, without spending much time and effort working out or watching my diet. I would want to get money without working for it. I would want to get all the sex I want without getting tired and with whomever I want without getting rejected. But this is not how the world works: if I eat too much, I get fat; I won't get a great body without working out; I won't get any money if I don't work for it; I can't have sex as frequently as I want or with whomever I want. So if these statements are true, why can't I get all these things that I want?

2. Why would people who overestimate their ability fail? There is no shortage in the world of incidents of people who overestimate their ability but fail miserably in whatever they set out to do. These people overly believe in their ability, and very often they themselves are the only ones unaware of their overestimation and may even refuse to listen to the advice of their friends. If they have such strong belief in their ability, why then would they fail if "your beliefs create your reality"?

3. Also, I see a problem that these statements can cause if they are true: they can be applied in ways that are unscientific and unfair. It is basic science that if I consume more calories than I burn, I get fat. So if I can, just by believing so, wish away all the extra calories after eating, then doesn't this run contrary to established scientific fact? So if I can, just by believing so, influence/determine the outcome of a scientific experiment or measurement on a whim, then wouldn't it be meaningless to conduct any scientific experiment or measurement? And if scientific experiments and measurements are meaningless, how could it be possible that science makes technological advancement and improves our lives? Also, does "your beliefs create your reality" mean that if I believe that global warming is fake news, then the Earth will not undergo global warming? So would people who do not believe in global warming and therefore continue to pollute the planet shift themselves to a universe where there is no global warming? So if you did something wrong or illegal, could you wish away the consequences, such as a fine or a jail term, simply by believing strongly that you won't get them? If so, then these statements not only go against science, but also justice.

The statement is one of those gash splurges of words from a pulp feel-better book that doesn’t add up. Your crit is dead on. The words individually makes sense but strung together are a philosophical nonsense.

Trouble is people believe in stuff like that then wonder why they fail. Raziel summed it up so I have nothing more to add. If reality is your beliefs how can you deal with day to day things outside of your beliefs?

Oh, by the way, if you don’t believe the moon is made of green cheese you’ve missed the point.

(Just a view).