Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 01-07-2011, 12:54 PM
georgeTmaxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Having done my best to sow confusion , I suggest you sample the various post lines under the Wiccan thread. Have fun !

Hi norseman, I appreciate the detailed reply. That makes sense - not confusing. I will keep looking through these threads and the Wiccan ones. I have started on the forum in the Science and Spiritual section and am starting to branch out. I see there is much to learn from Pagan ways and am interested in the magic.

Does Pagan have animist ways?

Cheers
@georgeTmaxwell
Old 01-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Master
Hi again, George. I am pagan and of the Cunning Folk, the old ways of Britain. I have definite animist tendencies and regard myself as a servant of Mother Earth - an easy thing to be when I live next to North Pennines and the Yorkshire Dales. My "magic" as such is all geared towards nature and conservation of our beautiful wild places.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:21 PM
georgeTmaxwell

Quote:
Hi again, George. I am pagan and of the Cunning Folk, the old ways of Britain. I have definite animist tendencies and regard myself as a servant of Mother Earth - an easy thing to be when I live next to North Pennines and the Yorkshire Dales. My "magic" as such is all geared towards nature and conservation of our beautiful wild places.
Nice to meat you - I am just George from Sydney and I like the ocean :). I like the direction of your magic. Natural respect.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Lunacie

Quote:
>

Now Gardner has been mentioned. Just a word about him. He was an ordained priest in an obscure Celtic Christian Church and, oddly, so was Ross Nichol the founder of the largest British Order of Druids. A word about the Celtic Church - borderline pagan in that they had strong animist tendencies and worshipped at much the same places that pagans did - springs, rock formation, certain trees, etc. Sort-of Christian Pagans as it were.

I have only seen one questionable link saying that Gardner was an ordained minister in a Christian Church. What can you share to further information about this?

Quote:

>
Deities - rule of thumb, most witches/wiccans follow a goddess faith as do many pagans in general.

Wicca is not a goddess faith only, it traditionally honors both a god and a goddess.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Master
The link comes out of a biography - trying to track the original ref. Here is an extract

Alongside his work with the Craft in his coven, Gardner became interested in many other forms of esotericism and the occult around this time. He joined the Ancient Druid Order, an organisation that promoted the Neopagan religion of Druidry, as well as a mystical Christian group, the Ancient British Church, who ordained him as a priest. The researcher Philip Heselton also speculated that Gardner may well have met Dion Byngham, the leader of the pagan wing of the Order of Woodcraft Chivalry, whose beliefs and practices, termed Dionisianism after the Greco-Roman god Dionysus, bore many similarities with Gardnerian Wicca.

It goes on to talk about his association with Ross Nichol [founder A.D.O.] and between them, they were responsible for the current festival calender, using the old agricultural calender as a template.

"Wicca is not a goddess faith only, it traditionally honors both a god and a goddess."
Triple goddess in dominant role
Old 01-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Master
@Lightworker
"spells whats it all about? naturally...It would have to be the first question. Does it come from higher source or you?"

My stance is that the energy of it comes from the natural energies of the Earth. It is my choice to personalise that as being from Mother Earth.
The Will to focus, direct, and channel it, comes from the practitioner. So, IMO, it is of this earth, nothing supernatural. I also argue that it conforms to the laws of Physics but we have yet to work out the mechanism. It seems likely that the human Will adds energy.
[As in all the best commercials ] "There are other opinions"
Old 01-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Lunacie

Quote:
The link comes out of a biography - trying to track the original ref. Here is an extract

Alongside his work with the Craft in his coven, Gardner became interested in many other forms of esotericism and the occult around this time. He joined the Ancient Druid Order, an organisation that promoted the Neopagan religion of Druidry, as well as a mystical Christian group, the Ancient British Church, who ordained him as a priest. The researcher Philip Heselton also speculated that Gardner may well have met Dion Byngham, the leader of the pagan wing of the Order of Woodcraft Chivalry, whose beliefs and practices, termed Dionisianism after the Greco-Roman god Dionysus, bore many similarities with Gardnerian Wicca.

It goes on to talk about his association with Ross Nichol [founder A.D.O.] and between them, they were responsible for the current festival calender, using the old agricultural calender as a template.

"Wicca is not a goddess faith only, it traditionally honors both a god and a goddess."
Triple goddess in dominant role

So that's from a book by Philip Heselton then? That's one author I wish I could afford to read/buy books.

In your tradition, or in your geographical area, the triple-goddess may have a dominant role in Wicca, but not in most Wiccan traditions here in the U.S. Here the God and the Goddess are seen as equal, thereby balancing and complimenting each other. This is one of the aspects that drew me to Wicca.

added: I like your explanation of spell/magic energies, however I believe that the earth is only one source of energy. The moon and the sun are also good source of energy, as is the universe itself.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Master
When it comes to wicca, the UK and the US are miles apart. For example, although I am not wiccan, I am a global moderator of a wiccan forum. None of the members refer to themselves as wiccan, they use the word witch and NONE of them [as far as I know] are in a coven. Some are in Working Groups and are solitaries. A small number are in fact HPS's who gave up their covens because of the rituals and the politics of covens. Another difference between us is that Traditional Witchcraft is alive and well in the UK. My own path is sometimes called Hedge Witch and is very much an Earth Path/shamanic in a contemporary setting, hence my bias towards the Earth.

The extract is not from a book by Heselton but he is quoted in it. May be quite a long time to track it down. I dont read many books, mostly the books coming out of British Universities - people like Hutton and Wilby

I suppose we should be thankful for these differences as it shows that the paths are still developing, not static.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Lunacie

Gardnerian or Traditional Wicca/Witchcraft is also alive and well in the U.S. But as you say, there are differences. Gardner himself wrote that we don't need to follow a cookie-cutter plan.

When it comes to drawing energy, some people like to draw from just the earth as they are familiar with that energy and find it easier to draw it and work with it, sort of a specialization in earth energy. I like being able to draw from other sources. One of my most effective solitary workings was drawing fire energy from a house furnace.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Master
Cross purposes there, Lunacie. When I say Traditional Witchcraft, I mean the path that existed for many centuries before Gardner.