Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Natural Remedies

Old 23-07-2012, 01:50 AM
Sybilline

Unhappy Pain on my wrist

Hi everyone, two nights ago I woke up in the middle of the night moaning in pain, it appears I had been lying on my hand while it was folded in some way (don’t remember), and my wrist was very much in pain. I had a hand and arm massage last night in hopes it would go away, but it didn’t, and I had tried soaking it in warm water but it made the water cold pretty quickly and didn’t help the pain. It feels like the joint is what’s hurting cause it hurts whenever I move it, I don’t know if it’s a sprain or whatnot, and there are no bruises or any marks at all.

Anyone have any remedies?
Old 23-07-2012, 03:46 AM
Well, first, protect it, I'd say ---- I have so many wrist braces I get at Goodwill
for friends - usually used for roller blading - but go ahead and pay the price at
a drug store for a wrist brace...wear it as much as you can to stablize the 'injury'.
I'm so sorry I know about wrist pain - yikes! :(

I'd ice it - 20 min on, 20 min off -- but do what you think is best.

Always - if possible the right thing to do is to see a professional - I say this to cover my bu*t.

They will ask exactly where does it hurt, in what motion or position - is it getting worse, better or staying the same...what seems to help it?
That will give them a better idea even before any expensive stuff.

I'd say they will tell you the same as I did but with an anti-inflammatory - then watch it...come back if it doesn't improve.

Good luck, ouch.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 23-07-2012, 04:35 AM
Master
Icing it as Miss H says is a good thing....if you don't get a wrist brace, just be extra careful how you move it ~ brace highly recommended while sleeping - not too snug, though. You might have the beginning of carpal tunnel syndrome if you type a lot and otherwise work with your hands - who doesn't. I have severe carpal tunnel in my right and moderate to severe in my left. Also, take relatively low doses of ibuprofin to help any inflammation. First check w/your doctor - of course!

Old 23-07-2012, 04:41 AM
iolite

Arnica... is good for bruises, sprains and strains. Go to the health food store and get some arnica ointment. Natri-Bio Arnica Rub and Traumeel are both good brands.
Old 23-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Guide
Try putting a compress of essential oils on your wrist. These oils include lavender, clove, helichrysum, frankincense. You can find guides on doing this online. Also, pressure points may help as well: http://www.herbalshop.com/Acupressure/Acupressure_46.html
Apply pressure in those particular points (you can use essential oils while doing it as well) and it should help to relieve pain.
Then of course icing it should help as well. I've always found that by continuing to do everyday things help loosen the wrist up. If you stay stationary for too long it can make things weak. I'm not a doctor, I'm a Naturopath and if you find these remedies don't work consult a health care professional.

She was unstoppable. Not because she did not have failures or doubts, but because she continued on despite them. -Beau Taplin
Old 23-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Lulu

I agree with Silvergirl... my first thought was carpal tunnel or tendonitis. When you go to the doctor's office, he'll more than likely do a simple 'mobility test' to determine if it is in fact the tendons around the wrist joint, or if it is any of the bones (carpals) that are the problem. This 'test' will help him 'narrow in' on where exactly the pain is originating from, as pain can be a bit deceptive. Since the pain is around the joint, it sounds like tendonitis... the pain in the tendons can easily be mistaken for something else (sprain, fracture, etc)... it can be extremely painful - painful enough to even wonder if your wrist is fractured, or not. Sometimes there will be swelling, but not always. Is the pain on the top of your wrist? Does the pain travel across the top (back) of your hand and maybe even into your knuckles? Tendons, tendons, everywhere!

Only a trained doctor can diagnose you, though... so go to one! It could be something as simple as minor trauma, or it could be something like carpal tunnel or tendonitis.

I have tendonitis in my left wrist... it appeared in me after a pretty serious injury during my ballet years. I first found out that I had it after I went to the doctor because I thought, like you, I had slept on my arm in a 'funny' way and thus caused some minor trauma. It flares up from time to time (usually with bouts of repetitive motion or minor trauma). Sometimes it is so bad it literally feels as if my wrist will 'snap' if I move it a certain way. There isn't much that can be done about it, unfortunately. But there are things you can do to ease the pain during a flare up...

Rest
Ice
Compress
Elevate

Alternating between hot and cold (like others suggested) does help a lot. Over the counter anti-inflammatory medications and even cortisone injections from the doctor are beneficial. Those 'pain relief' creams are sometimes useful, as well. A good way to prevent a flare up is to 'strengthen' your wrists... gently stretch them on a daily basis. Make sure you're getting proper nutrition to ensure healthy bones, muscles, joints, etc. Immobilize it as much as you can, but try to keep it elevated as you do.

Again, only a doctor can properly diagnose you... you need to know what the problem is before you can decide how to treat it!

Go to the doctor, Syb!

I hope you feel better soon <3
Old 23-07-2012, 10:39 PM
I love my Twin Soul

Hi, Another thing it could be which no one has said yet is Arthritis. I have had it in my wrist and know how sore it can be. If you don't have any luck with finding out what it is or curing it, send me a PM and I will try sending you some Healing if you want me too. I wish you luck with it. Oh, another thing you could try which works good on that sort of thing is Devils Claw which is a Herb and is an Anti inflammatory and pain killer type of thing, not that nice to take but better than feeling pain. Blessings, Clarrie
Old 24-07-2012, 01:14 AM
Sybilline

Thanks everyone!

Ms Hepburn, Silvergirl, thanks so much, I have no idea about these things it’s a good thing you told me to ice it otherwise I would have kept using warm water (because I don’t know shaz about first aid, haha!). I don’t have any braces but if they don’t cost much I will get some, will a piece of cloth wrapped snuggly (like a big cotton handkerchief) have the same effect?

And yes I definitely type a lot, all the jobs I’ve been through are pretty much desk jobs :(

Iolite I will have to look up Arnica, I am not in the US so I am not familiar with it...

The Reason --- essential oils… Good idea, does it have to be warm? Will definitely try acupressure. When I had a massage I’m pretty sure the lady didn’t really care as it was timed and uh, “scripted” though it did feel good.

Lulu --- Yes I guess it’s time to see a doctor, I will do so at the end of the week, goodness we still don’t have any medical coverage, I have submitted proposals to the bosses but they are still reviewing them :(( The pain is concentrated on the part of the wrist that lines up with the thumb, just that joint and strangely nowhere else… But it sort of makes me feel better when I apply pressure over the inner part of my arm, below my pulse? Strange… And your tendonitis… Goodness that must hurt! Are you doing some sort of therapy for it?

I love my Twin Soul --- Hi thanks Clarrie!! ♥ I sure hope it’s not Arthritis, although I wouldn’t be surprised, I will definitely look into this and let you know if none worked… And I will look into the Devils Claw but we might not have it here…
Old 24-07-2012, 01:29 AM
Lulu

Quote:
The pain is concentrated on the part of the wrist that lines up with the thumb

Sounds like de Quervain syndrome... it could also be carpal tunnel. But, of course, only a doctor can tell you for sure. Sorry to hear you don't have coverage from your work... I sometimes forget about the whole medical insurance thing... we have universal where I live. But I do hope you can make your way to a doc.

Physical therapy does help a lot... it's a slow process, but with combined treatments, it is getting better. If you are gripping a mouse a lot, take the time a few times a day to do some wrist 'stretching.' That will help strengthen your wrists and possibly help to prevent problems in the future. For the meantime... remember, RICE.

Take care of yourself, Sybilline :)