Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 17-05-2019, 10:33 AM
Knower
Do you have a favourite chapter of the Gita?

I like the 13th really
Old 17-05-2019, 05:12 PM
Knower
A couple of them... 2, 9, 10, 11.
Old 28-07-2019, 02:41 PM
Ha, sometimes I think the 10th....then no, I change all the time!!!!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 16-08-2019, 07:30 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalsun
I like the 13th really
Don't know which chp, but I like it when Krishna tells Arjuna that life is to be lived and he should fight.
Old 29-03-2021, 11:39 AM
Suspended

Krishna taught arjun
Old 20-06-2021, 04:43 AM
Pathfinder
I love all the chapters actually.
Old 15-12-2022, 01:58 AM
O K Viswanath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalsun
I like the 13th really

Me too.

Mostly, the One which talks about True Knowledge, verses 8 to 12.

"Humbleness; freedom from hypocrisy; non-violence; forgiveness; simplicity; service of the Guru; cleanliness of body and mind; steadfastness; and self-control; dispassion toward the objects of the senses; absence of egotism; keeping in mind the evils of birth, disease, old age, and death; non-attachment; absence of clinging to spouse, children, home, and so on; even-mindedness amidst desired and undesired events in life; constant and exclusive devotion toward Me; an inclination for solitary places and an aversion for mundane society; constancy in spiritual knowledge; and philosophical pursuit of the Absolute Truth—all these I declare to be knowledge, and what is contrary to it, I call ignorance."
Old 15-12-2022, 05:40 AM
Master

My favorite is the second chapter which contains this verse.

"Thinking of objects, attachment to them is formed in a man. Attachment gives rise to desire and desire (when obstructed) breeds anger. From anger comes delusion which results in loss of memory of the Self. ~ (BG-2 : 63)

Many seemingly normal people get into bouts of bitter speech or violence due to sudden bursts of anger which they may greatly regret later on. Anyone who is interested in anger management should study this verse to understand his mind and the emoting process.

The loss of memory (of the Self) causes destruction of discrimination and from the ruin of discrimination the man perishes." ~ (BG-2 : 63)

We can see here that the loss of memory of the Self or loss of present moment awareness due to unconscious thinking and emoting stemming from cravings or aversions (raag-dvesh), can result in deluded thoughts and actions of a destructive nature leading to ruin. The loss of memory of the Self results in lack of mental equanimity or calmness, and anything that arises out of an agitated mind is bound to result in error.

I think this sequence of psychological movements is highly insightful, and also informs us how attachments and even addictions of an unhealthy nature are formed.

I would say this would even serve as an aid to meditation.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 15-12-2022, 06:26 AM
O K Viswanath

You had quoted a beautiful verse. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay00
Many seemingly normal people get into bouts of bitter speech or violence due to sudden bursts of anger which they may greatly regret later on. Anyone who is interested in anger management should study this verse to understand his mind and the emoting process.

Just studying this verse alone, can lead one to easily manage anger? Nope.
Until Enlightenment/Self Knowledge, Ego is Present and will lead to Anger.

It is said "Desires lead to Anger", in that verse. So, one has to cut it off. For that, one has to stop attachments by not thinking of any objects.

If thinking of Objects stops totally, only then everything stops one by one, so leads to memory and Discrimination that "Self not Perishes like not-self/objects".

Taking something from a middle and trying to attain it, is ignorance. One has to understand the verse as it is said, and by that meaning, stop thinking of any object and cut off all attachments and desires. Or else, it is again an Hypocrisy.

Edit -
SO, this BG verse becomes utter useless for one who seeks/desires just Anger Management but not knowledge of self/truth.

Whole BG is useful only for Self-Knowledge seekers, but not people leading Materialistic Desirous Life. Just words, and will be of no use for them to manage anger in presence of desires. And so BG is not thought to everyone, only to a person like Arjuna who is much painful of losing things. It is not taught by real Gurus to Disciples who didn't reached at extreme sufferings seeing the pain of losing attachments.

Oh, What a Strictness Krishna shown to this Spiritual Knowledge, by not teaching to Duryodhana about Anger Management or etc., but only to Arjuna and to Dhritarashtra through Sanjaya who at extreme sufferings at losing their attachments .
Old 15-12-2022, 10:29 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by O K Viswanath
You had quoted a beautiful verse. Thank you.
You are welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O K Viswanath
Just studying this verse alone, can lead one to easily manage anger? Nope.
I didn't say that study and contemplation of this verse can lead to successful anger management. I only said that a study of this verse can lead to better understanding of the mind and the emoting process. This understanding can be a valuable tool for one interested in anger management.

Along with knowledge of its working, meditation as in awareness or witnessing is also important for better mind management. It is by self-awareness that one can keep a distance from the mind and not be lead or coerced by negative thoughts and emotions to unconscious activity of a vicious nature.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon