Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 25-04-2011, 04:41 AM
din

Why?

Why identify with any of thought?

Why identify with any form?
Old 25-04-2011, 04:43 AM
din

here's a small quote from Ramana Maharshi:

Quote:
Happiness is the very nature of the Self; happiness and the Self are not different. There is no happiness in any object of the world. We imagine through our ignorance that we derive happiness from objects. When the mind goes out, it experiences misery. In truth, when its desires are fulfilled, it returns to its own place and enjoys the happiness that is the Self. Similarly, in the states of sleep, samadhi and fainting, and when the object desired is obtained or the object disliked is removed, the mind becomes inward-turned, and enjoys pure Self-Happiness. Thus the mind moves without rest alternately going out of the Self and returning to it. Under the tree the shade is pleasant; out in the open the heat is scorching. A person who has been going about in the sun feels cool when he reaches the shade. Someone who keeps on going from the shade into the sun and then back into the shade is a fool. A wise man stays permanently in the shade. Similarly, the mind of the one who knows the truth does not leave Brahman. The mind of the ignorant, on the contrary, revolves in the world, feeling miserable, and for a little time returns to Brahman to experience happiness. In fact, what is called the world is only thought. When the world disappears, i.e. when there is no thought, the mind experiences happiness; and when the world appears, it goes through misery.

so, what if identifying with your thoughts is moving into the hot sun, would you still do it if you knew better?
Old 25-04-2011, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by din
... quote from Ramana Maharshi...
Excellent quote, thank you.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 25-04-2011, 06:09 AM
Master
Hi din ... nice to see you back in town

Quote:
Originally Posted by din

I think we identify with thought because we are granted the ability to think ... the two seem to go hand in hand lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by din

Because (I accept) we create our reality (including form) through our beliefs and thoughts ...

Maybe it would be helpful for you to explain what you mean by the word identify so we are all 'thinking' from the same place lol ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by din
so, what if identifying with your thoughts is moving into the hot sun, would you still do it if you knew better

If I wanted to achieve something in the full sun of the day (through thinking lol) which could not be undertaken in the shade (stilled mind) then yes, most definitely, i would venture out into the sun ... i would simply wear a hat :)

Last edited by sound : 25-04-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 25-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by din
so, what if identifying with your thoughts is moving into the hot sun, would you still do it if you knew better?

How else will I be able to get a tan?

Love and Light
Old 25-04-2011, 09:47 AM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by din
here's a small quote from Ramana Maharshi:

What if, we didn't try to create a value system about moving from shade to sun or vice versa? what if it just happened without the 'desire for happiness', rather with the understanding that no journey is always covered by 'shade'.. by Ramana's beliefs, the experiencer is a "fool" for experiencing the unavoidable.. it is the rejection of nature, the natural occurances of Life, sun and shade, that Ramana uses to create the illusion of 'happiness'.. it is the 'pursuit of happiness' that inspires sorrow.. there is happiness in balance, as the sun feeds the trees that shade the journey, it is the sun that feeds the plants that nourish the body we wear.. Balance is the key..

You can play "what if" forever, or.. You can find contentment in 'what is'..

Be well, all else is..
Old 25-04-2011, 10:27 AM
bbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TzuJanLi
What if, we didn't try to create a value system about moving from shade to sun or vice versa? what if it just happened without the 'desire for happiness', rather with the understanding that no journey is always covered by 'shade'.. by Ramana's beliefs, the experiencer is a "fool" for experiencing the unavoidable.. it is the rejection of nature, the natural occurances of Life, sun and shade, that Ramana uses to create the illusion of 'happiness'.. it is the 'pursuit of happiness' that inspires sorrow.. there is happiness in balance, as the sun feeds the trees that shade the journey, it is the sun that feeds the plants that nourish the body we wear.. Balance is the key..

You can play "what if" forever, or.. You can find contentment in 'what is'...
Everything you're advocating is expressed in the following part of the quote:

...when the object desired is obtained or the object disliked is removed, the mind becomes inward-turned, and enjoys pure Self-Happiness.
Old 25-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzuJanLi
Greetings..

You can play "what if" forever, or.. You can find contentment in 'what is'..

Be well, all else is..

Yes, agreed. Well said.
I'm going to try to roll with that last bit as well...the 'be well, all else is'.

Cheers,
7L
Old 25-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by din

I'm an addict, man. Gotta have my fix. And I don't even know it.
It's delusion, baby. Insanity. Lost. Sleeping. Dreaming. And thinking its reality.

There is no choice. No why. It's all pervasive.
If one was conscious enough to have a choice, there would be no identification.

Without identification to thought or form,
who would I be?

who?

(anyway I'm off on vacation, heard there's an opening for a monk.)

(Hey All! )
Old 25-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Master
Well I am identifying with the identity of Lisa right now and I am excited to see you back!
All that for delusion.............I must be insane! lol

Good to see ya!

James