Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 31-05-2015, 03:50 PM
Serrao Serrao is offline
Master
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,461
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam23
I like many ideas in Buddhism, but I do not follow any religion in full, because I do not agree with different things - depending on the religion there are more or less of those. In Buddhism, there is one thing that have always put me off. The ego death. Since I'm already on this forum, I thought to myself, why not ask other people about this? Because it may be that I have simply misunderstood the concept of it.
Is the ego-death also part of your personal truth and seen by you as an existing possibility in Life?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 31-05-2015, 08:12 PM
Adam23
Posts: n/a
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrao
Is the ego-death also part of your personal truth and seen by you as an existing possibility in Life?

Not really, or else I wouldn't make this thread, I think. It's rather unlikely.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 31-05-2015, 10:10 PM
Serrao Serrao is offline
Master
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,461
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrao
Is the ego-death also part of your personal truth and seen by you as an existing possibility in Life?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam23
Not really, or else I wouldn't make this thread, I think. It's rather unlikely.
I think ego death is the same as non-duality.
In non-duality the "I" is dissolved and only "Everything but the I" remains.
There's a lot of info on the internet on this subject.
But of course there are forums like this one where you get really interesting and rare insights and views too.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-06-2015, 12:07 AM
BlueSky BlueSky is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,743
  BlueSky's Avatar
Identifying with the mind and it's own personal reality is what dies and is what is meant by ego.
This frees one up to be the unconditional, unmovable awareness that is. This enhances the relationship with our lived ones. And frees one up to be love itself.
__________________
CHITTA VRITTI NIRODHA

The cessation of identifying with the fluctuations arising within consciousness
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-06-2015, 04:47 PM
RyanWind RyanWind is offline
Suspended
Master
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,298
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrao
I think ego death is the same as non-duality.
In non-duality the "I" is dissolved and only "Everything but the I" remains.
There's a lot of info on the internet on this subject.
But of course there are forums like this one where you get really interesting and rare insights and views too.

This makes it sound so hard and mysterious. I don't think it's that difficult. The first step is you just go from, "every thought that pops into my head is reality" to "hmmmm maybe my thoughts are not me." Thoughts are just a unnecessary filter we interact with the world through.

It's a puzzle for sure. But whatever made this puzzle made it solvable by everybody. All the concepts of some profound drug like god experience don't help solve it either. Those are a bit unrealistic and fantasy imho.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-06-2015, 05:01 PM
jonesboy jonesboy is offline
Master
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,011
  jonesboy's Avatar
An excerpt from :

Self Liberation through Seeing with Naked Awareness

By Padmasambhava


Now, when you are introduced (to your own intrinsic awareness), the method for entering into it involves three considerations:
Thoughts in the past are clear and empty and leave no traces behind.
Thoughts in the future are fresh and unconditioned by anything.
And in the present moment, when (your mind) remains in its own condition without constructing anything,
awareness, at that moment, in itself is quite ordinary.
And when you look into yourself in this way nakedly (without any discursive thoughts),
Since there is only this pure observing, there will be found a lucid clarity without anyone being there who is the observer;
only a naked manifest awareness is present.
(This awareness) is empty and immaculately pure, not being created by anything whatsoever.
It is authentic and unadulterated, without any duality of clarity and emptiness.
It is not permanent and yet it is not created by anything.
However, it is not a mere nothingness or something annihilated because it is lucid and present.
It does not exist as a single entity because it is present and clear in terms of being many.
(On the other hand) it is not created as a multiplicity of things because it is inseparable and of a single flavor.
This inherent self-awareness does not derive from anything outside itself.
This is the real introduction to the actual condition of things.


Within this (intrinsic awareness), the Trikaya (Triple Bodies) are inseparable and fully present as one.
Since it is empty and not created anywhere whatsoever, it is The Dharmakaya (Dharma-Body).
Since its luminous clarity represents the inherent transparent radiance of emptiness, it is the Sambhogakaya (Reward-Body / Utility-Body).
Since its arising is nowhere obstructed or interrupted, it is the Nirmanakaya.
These three (the Trikaya) being complete and fully present as one are its very essence.

When you are introduced in this way through this exceedingly powerful method for entering into the practice,
(You discover directly) that your own immediate self-awareness is just this (and nothing else),
and that it has an inherent self-clarity, which is entirely un-fabricated.
How can you then speak of not understanding the nature of the mind?
Moreover, since you are meditating without finding anything there to meditate upon,
how can you say that your meditation does not go well?
Since your own manifest intrinsic awareness is just this,
how can you say that you cannot find your own mind?
The mind is just that which is thinking:
And yet, although you have searched (for the thinker), how can you say that you do not find him?
With respect to this, nowhere does there exist the one who is the cause of (mental) activity.
And yet, since activity exists, how can you say that such activity does not arise?
Since merely allowing (thoughts) to settle into their own condition, without trying to modify them in any way, is sufficient,
How can you say that you are not able to remain in a calm state?
Since allowing (thoughts) to be just as they are, with out trying to do anything about them, is sufficient,
How can you say that you are not able to do anything with regard to them?
Since clarity, awareness, and emptiness are inseparable and are spontaneously self-perfected,
how can you say that nothing is accomplished by your practice?
Since (intrinsic awareness) is self-originated and spontaneously self-perfected without any antecedent causes or conditions,
How can you say that you are not able to accomplish anything by your efforts?
Since the arising of discursive thoughts and their being liberated occur simultaneously,
how can you say that you are unable to apply an antidote?
Since your own immediate awareness is just this,
how can you say that you do not know anything with regard to it?

It is certain that the nature of the mind is empty and without any foundation whatsoever.
Your own mind is insubstantial like the empty sky.
You should look at your own mind to see whether it is like that or not.
Being without any view that decisively decides that it is empty,
It is certain that self-originated primal awareness has been clear (and luminous) from the very beginning,
Like the heart of the sun, which is itself self-originated.
You should look at your own mind to see whether it is like that or not.
It is certain that this primal awareness or gnosis, which is one's intrinsic awareness, is unceasing,
like the main channel of a river that flows unceasingly.
You should look at your own mind to see whether it is like that or not.
It is certain that the diversity of movements (arising in the mind) are not apprehend-able by memories,
they are like insubstantial breezes that move through the atmosphere.
You should look at your own mind to see whether it is like that or not.
It is certain that whatever appearances occur, all of them are self-manifested,
like the images in a mirror being self-manifestations that simply appear.
You should look at your own mind to see whether it is like that or not.
It is certain that all of the diverse characteristics of things are liberated into their own condition,
Like clouds in the atmosphere that are self-originated and self-liberated.
You should look at your own mind to see whether it is like that or not.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-06-2015, 04:46 AM
birds birds is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 325
 
info

It seems like so much to learn. I hope it's easy, relatively, as one goes along. I've been surrounded throughout my life by people that have mainly followed the Bible. I believe it's like learning language, your native is ingrained since youth and thus easier. The others though aren't impossible, especially if one has a passion.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-06-2015, 07:55 PM
Adam23
Posts: n/a
 
Sorry for postponing the reply. As I wrote, I had a lot on my head this week and I also expected to make a really long reply to what all of you wrote here, but... To be honest I read your posts again today and you answered all of my questions stated in the first post. I don't think I have anything else to add... Which is kind of funny, because I thought I would write something the length of an essay.

Two more questions popped up in my head when reading, however. I wonder, does Buddhism focus a lot on suffering? Because, it may be that it's just another misconception I have about it, but the thing I always disliked about Christianity (I was a Christian in my earlier years) was that it focused a lot on the negative (original sin, hell, the feeling of guilt). I always thought it's similar in Buddhism, only here it's about suffering.

My second question is more personal - is it normal that when I read about your explanation of lack of ego (trying to avoid specific names for it, as there were a lot of different ones in this topic) it sounds wonderful, but scary at the same time? Take into consideration that I was never a Buddhist, however I use some of Buddhism's ideas - meditation techniques mainly.

I also want to thank all of you for your posts, they were very interesting to read and clarified a lot
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums