Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 23-11-2011, 10:40 AM
BlackWolf

Immortals?

Hmmm, Couldn't figure out where to post this, so I though Death & Afterlife was a good section, lol.

So, what do people here think of Immortals? Such as Count St. Germain and others.

I would like to know what people think about this idea.

Thanks!
Old 23-11-2011, 10:41 AM
BlackWolf

Also, when I say Immortals I mean those people who never leave their physical body.
Old 23-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Guide
It is more possible that the Count was reincarnated and had memories of his previous lives. I do not discount any possibility but to live forever, hmmm. I think it would be a difficult task. To quote the lyrics from one of Queens songs, "Who wants to live forever? ....When Love must die." To watch a persons loved ones die over and over again would be torture I would think.

To see my own death in several lifetimes has been difficult at times but I think it has been much more difficult to see the death of the people I love. I hope that immortality is a myth or at least that I never experience it.

To be reincarnated with a fresh start each life is altogether different than immortality. I have enjoyed my lives and will again and again I hope. It is a good question BlackWolf, very thought provoking.
Old 23-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Aquarian

To be physically immortal means to be able to regenerate your body. Babaji is reportedly able to do this but not sure why other advanced souls haven't. Why would you want your body to age ie become damaged and less able?

Also, no idea who the Count is but Wikipedia says he's dead & buried.
Old 23-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Guide
Aquarian,

The reason I would not like to live forever and watch my loved ones die is obvious I would think. I don't mind aging, I don't mind getting older, wiser. What I do mind is feeling the hurt and anger towards death each time someone dies. It is overwhelming at times and to think that I would have eternity to keep doing that is a torturous thought.

Death is merely a transition and the fact that others do not understand this makes me sad.
Old 23-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Master

To quote from the rather silly movie Cocoon: "Noone should have to watch their grandchildren get old and die." I would consider immortality a curse. And therefore possible...
Old 23-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Aquarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritCarrier
Aquarian,

The reason I would not like to live forever and watch my loved ones die is obvious I would think. I don't mind aging, I don't mind getting older, wiser. What I do mind is feeling the hurt and anger towards death each time someone dies. It is overwhelming at times and to think that I would have eternity to keep doing that is a torturous thought.

Death is merely a transition and the fact that others do not understand this makes me sad.
Since death is just a transition back to a purer(?) and less delusional(?) state of being, why feel bad about it? I'm struggling more with being incarnated.

When Sri Yukteswar returned from the dead to visit Yogananda, he described how recently deceased people get confused when they find not just their deceased families from their life, but all the not-currently-incarnated-nor-transcended ones they start remembering as closely from previous lives.

Detachment wrt loved ones is a lesson we each have to learn.
Old 23-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian
Since death is just a transition back to a purer(?) and less delusional(?) state of being, why feel bad about it? I'm struggling more with being incarnated.

When Sri Yukteswar returned from the dead to visit Yogananda, he described how recently deceased people get confused when they find not just their deceased families from their life, but all the not-currently-incarnated-nor-transcended ones they start remembering as closely from previous lives.

I perhaps did not make myself clear, let me try again: I do not feel bad, sad, or any other negative feeling about or towards death. What I said was that I did not want to live forever, being immortal, because most people do fear death or have some other negative emotion towards it. Being immortal is what this thread is about, I simply stated that I would not want to live forever seeing my loved ones die over and over again, feeling the saddness they feel when life transitions.

Perhaps you could explain what this means because I haven't the faintest:
Quote:
Old 23-11-2011, 05:01 PM
BlackWolf

I suppose the bad side to being an immortal would be deaths of children and loved ones. Other than that, I can't think of any downsides. Of course there would probably be upsides to it too. I came across a youtube video that is pretty cool but there is no way to prove it wasn't altered, lol. I love watching it though and if it is real in any way, then very cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEubt6HpGhs

Now this next video-obviously he's not a vampire but look at this man, whos family found this photo while going through estate stuff, but I think this is just wayyy cool. Since the subject of reincarnation came up, do you think that you are reincarnated to look like the person in your past life?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UVSO...eature=related

anyway, those videos are kinda cool and I wanted to share them..
Old 23-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Yamah

Immortality is not so far fetched. We are genetically designed to get old and die so that our species can continue to evolve into the future. The 'self-destruct' timer of the human body is called Telomeres, which are extra repetitions in our DNA strands. Over time they get worn off and once they get short enough our cells stop reproducing and our bodies fail, one organ at a time.

Scientists have already discovered enzymes which prevent Telomeres from shortening and there has been a recent breakthrough that claims to be able to regrow shortened telomeres. If this is true then eternal youth may be possible in the near future.

It is unlikely, but possible, for an individual to have a mutation which causes his body to produce 'Telemerase' or the enzyme which protects/regrows the telomere. If such a mutation occurred, and the individual avoided serious diseases and freak accidents, then he could theoretically live forever.