Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Signs & Synchronicities

Old 25-05-2017, 03:03 PM
Lepus

Subliminal Messages

Hello,

I was just thinking the other day about this topic. Here's a brief description on subliminal messages:
Quote:
A signal or message designed to pass below (sub) the normal limits of perception. An inaudible to the conscious mind (but audible to the unconscious or deeper mind). An image transmitted briefly, unperceived consciously, yet perceived unconsciously.
And here's a brief description on subliminal:
Quote:
Faint humming might make you irritated. Red lights can raise your blood temperature. Usually, subliminal methods are used to control people, like flashing words quickly during a television program. If you’re worried, there’s not much you can do, because subliminal literally means “below the threshold” or surface of your conscious mind, and you probably will never even notice that you’re being controlled. Try reading only the capital letters of this definition for an example of a subliminal message.
I quickly looked at some of the subliminal messages and found these images

Do we really gain influence from these messages? If you disagree, why do you think these hidden messages are there?

Blessed be,
Lepus
Old 25-05-2017, 05:42 PM
Master
the majority of an iceberg is below the surface level of the water.
the conscious mind is likened to what is visible above that threshold.
the subconscious has always held the 'upper hand' in the relationship.
for some conscious mind to attempt to control some other subconscious
mind seems an implausible undertaking. besides, in the deeper recesses
of being, all minds are one mind (as i understand things).
Old 25-05-2017, 09:42 PM
Lorelyen

It's difficult. Subliminal means below the threshold. I suppose in human communication it slips past conscious awareness (of communication occurring) so a message bypasses intellectual censoring.

It works with those susceptible to the medium - is why, for instance, PVRs and broadcasters allow a maximum fast-forward through adverts of 30x. You may not see the ad as a narrative but the semiotic/sign cues may be picked up unwittingly, perhaps making the ad more effective! Having said that the frame rate of TVs is 25 or 30 depending where you live so the exposure in one frame would be 40 or 33 milliseconds. Whether that's below or above the threshold I don't really know.

It also needs cultural context. No use shooting a verbal message in a language not spoken by the receiver. No use flashing a picture that could be widely interpreted if the sender is aiming to be specific. Interesting though that a subliminal message may stimulate a reaction even if the receiver wouldn't comprehend the message in conscious awareness.

I'm not a believer in the Freudian idea that human data processing is split into two fixed segments. (Experiential stuff for instance seems to span the boundary - if there is one). So while I accept that subliminal communication does work I doubt it's as simple as triggering things in the hidden part of a bi-level construct like conscious/subconscious. It could simply trigger a memory. However my views are no more valid than those who believe in this dichotomy so, whatever goes.

Old 29-05-2017, 03:08 AM
Guide
Most sub messages are ineffective. But some like in the LION KING for example work best, but are most noticable and make the company come under fire. In it, the word SEX appeared during the most emotional scene (removed since rereleases) but it practically told girls to have sex when they are really sad/emotional... Disney eh, to this day they still 'sell' sex to kids
Old 09-02-2018, 05:58 AM
Administrator
I put my post in a thread I started in here....as this one is already going....

Hello

We are bombarded daily with such messages so what does it all mean ?

Definition of subliminal messages

The definition of subliminal is something that is not easily perceived; but may be remembered due to constant repetition. An example of subliminal used as an adjective is the phrase "subliminal message," which means a message that may be remembered even if the person was not consciously aware of the message.

I was watching TV and I noted that on a commercial for a laundry soap product that the same "scarf" that was used in a previous commercial was the same one in another commercial for the same product.

Now one thought is that they are too cheep to get another scarf but we are being programmed to 'remember' the first commercial on some level and make the connection. Maybe not in the way I noted it but on that hidden level. Its interesting how messages are there but we miss them in our busy lives. How they play with the mind.

The first commercial it was a relationship break up, the second a connection to the outdoors. I wonder where it will turn up next ?

How many times do we miss seeing messages maybe we are to see....what is the message that I got.....that smells will always trigger memories of a relationship ended, for me that as a good ending....but there are smells that trigger memories that are not good. The other message is I do need to get outside more....connect to nature more.

So even a TV commercial holds at times a hidden messages we are mean to pay attentions to on a different level than advertising a product.

Has anyone else made this connection ?

Lynn
Old 10-02-2018, 05:02 AM
Lepus

Hello

Sorry for not responding. I wanted to read other's view on this topic. Thank you everyone for replying.

Lepus