Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 25-12-2016, 04:49 PM
Newbie ;)

Switching off consciousness. (True death)

Do you think after we die, we have the option of zero consciousness. As in we unplug from the system for a true eternal peace?

I've heard to it touched upon in the past, but no one really seems to discuss it.
Old 25-12-2016, 11:03 PM
Knower
No I don't but some believe you can merge with the brahmajyoti spiritual energy.

Personally I don't think this'd be for eternity as that'd defeat the purpose of being a soul with individuality.
Old 26-12-2016, 08:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversOfBelief
Do you think after we die, we have the option of zero consciousness. As in we unplug from the system for a true eternal peace?
Though removing consciousness would remove all awareness and knowing of non-peace, it does not guarantee we would be at peace. 'We' could still be restless.

I don't think merely removing consciousness is enough to make the state 'eternal'. As we would still have some being/identity/potential, consciousness would eventually reemerge (reattach). Most souls, being timeless, have more than eternity for this to happen. In my view, spontaneous consciousness is what made some souls sentient in the first place.
Old 28-12-2016, 09:11 PM
Knower

I personally expect that consciousness cannot normally sustain itself without the physical human being. That isn't to say the energy or material of it is destroyed, but the pattern that made the person we know and possibly love, is lost irrevocably.

I've often used the metaphor of a droplet of rain hitting the ocean to illustrate this.

I've seen plenty of good arguments for our universe and experiential consciousness to be one continuous process, and I've done plenty of things with that idea. But I've never personally witnessed or seen described any scenario in which the consciousness must necessarily be eternal, or even any evidence that it's likely.

Put another way, I rather expect that nirvana is the default death. It doesn't even need to be pursued. You get pulled apart, perhaps instantly, or perhaps over a long period of time, by the same waters that birthed you. Dust to dust, and all that. It's that way with the body, why would it be any different for the psyche, particularly when we have reams of evidence that suggest that you can alter, subdue, or even destroy consciousness by tampering with the human brain?

Mind you, that doesn't mean things will change. But that's certainly what I see as the likely limit for human beings today.
Old 20-01-2017, 03:43 PM
Newbie ;)

Now that's a thought..,But yea that would probably be true death
Old 21-01-2017, 09:25 AM
Master
People who are not aware of themselves now may, or may not, fall into a dreamless sleep.
A sleep where they are not conscious of themselves or anything else. We incarnate to
become aware of our greater selves and grow our consciousness but what if one never
embarks on that path, and all they know or feel is their physical body. At the time of death
they drop their physical body, and if they did not have an inkling of awareness of something
deeper will they gain that deeper awareness after death? Dying an unconscious death may
be similar to zero consciousness; a consciousness where you are not aware of anything at all.
Not aware of peace or no peace, not even aware that you exist.
Old 23-01-2017, 10:50 AM
Burntfruit

Death is only a concept concerning incarnations. It is not relevant to the spiritual life.
Old 23-01-2017, 01:15 PM
Master
The physical person may live all their life uncnscious right up to death but the consciousness is always conscious so at the time of death the consciousness just takes over. And no there no chance to unplug in order for consciosness to die or rest eternally. Consciousness take over without waiting to be given instructions by the physical person.
Old 23-01-2017, 04:46 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:

I've heard to it touched upon in the past, but no one really seems to discuss it.

That's a really interesting question actually, I wonder if it is possible not to exist at all ? and the big question is how does existence start in the first place?, all of this i think has the same kind of answer, i think the answer to one is the answer to the other. but i don't know what that is .

Would you like the choice Rivers Of Belief?

You have nothing to fear but fear itself

Alan Turing: Sometimes it is the people no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine.
Old 23-01-2017, 07:56 PM
Master
Quote:

I believe yes we do have the option. Just like in life there is a spectrum of full consciousness to asleep consciousness, I also think in death we can choose full consciousness (to live with God) or eternal sleep (to eternally die).