Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 10-01-2015, 10:33 PM
Master
Okay I feel some of the above (oop, last post on page 1 actually) may be too strongly worded in places, I would like to point out that other than the research parts, most of what I wrote are my own personal beliefs, not even beliefs as such, but impressions would be a better word, and much of which is possibly subject to change. Feel free to challenge me on whatever or ask for clarification, I don't have all the answers obviously, just a guy that took some classes who was told some stuff by some other people (albeit presumably based on some solid scientifically reliable and credible foundations) with a little of my own personal experience mixed in.

In one interview I listened to with a Sociopath, the interviewee explained how bringing a man she knew to financial ruin was for her a way of making a kind of human connection. It seems a skewed, perverse way to consider making a connection to me, by hurting or causing someone pain.

But if you think about it, in much smaller, less harmful doses many people engage in schadenfreude pretty regularly. America's funniest home videos is full of real life, painful slapstick hilarity in the form of people falling hard into things or wiping out huge. For anyone not familiar with the term schadenfreude, it is a german word meaning "harm-joy", or taking pleasure in the pain or misfortune of others.

Of course the vast majority of us would usually make sure the person was not seriously hurt before feeling comfortable enough to laugh at them for falling face first into mud (or whatever the case might be) and even then, many times only if they are willing to laugh at themselves with us. If we witness a brutal fight for instance, most will wince at a hard punch connecting with someone's head. The difference b/t that and a psychopath is they will either have no emotional response or may even take some pleasure from it, and brain scans are now beginning to be able to measure and identify this in people. I am not really talking about UFC fights btw, which is technically considered a competitive sport, and I know plenty of guys that enjoy watching two men beat each other up. People seem to love their violence, especially people in large groups ( a mob, if you will).

One thing that comes to mind is the David Icke-ian position of evil, shapeshifting reptilians, if you consider than psychopaths operate largely from the reptilian part of the brain (cold blooded) which is at least an interesting correlation, if nothing else.

There is good and bad in all of us, and as you say Skanzi avoiding an "us vs. them" point of view (up to a point) is probably the best approach.

Okay good enough for now, ciao. ~
Old 15-01-2015, 01:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deusdrum
In my humble opinion, a lack of empathy is tantamount to Spiritual suicide. We are all interconnected and thus to have no care or feelings for others would therefore indicate a lack of love and caring for oneself. Of course everyone is selfish, and it is all a great tangled web which we weave (and something something about the ego).

Ok this comes off too extreme, I think Spiritual insanity would be a better description. Who know whether developing empathy is possible or not, but suffice it to say empathy is quite important imo. I honestly don't know if such a thing as spiritual suicide is possible so hence the correction, from a buddhist POV in fact wouldn't it mean more existence? Strapped tighter to the wheel of karma? The Dalai Lama once remarked that psychopaths are those with "poorly developed human lives.." Buddhist's are all about compassion so it makes sense.