Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 13-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Master

Do you know what I see in this post. I think it connects to the concept of reality some try to understand. I have always seen reality more a physical matter connected to the 5 senses. I had always thought of it and there were only 6 senses present, the 6th being hidden in the 3rd eye.

But I listen to people speak what we say. How we relate to language. All the different ideas we talk about, some more subjective, some more objective. I do see this existing in our conversation. And I have come to think and therefore ask, people know when they speak objectivity and when subjectively. But whether a person speaks objectively or speaks subjectively, we literally have to speak. And whereas I once saw this separately, I had gone so far in a moment to see there are in fact 6 senses and one of these is speech, not the third eye.

I have found we are always drawn back to reality by the 5 senses, now 6. It is biology that always pulls our attention back to it, reinforces it. Speech is the physical aspect of the brain which is physical. Knows this is a completely different paradigm.

Last edited by lemex : 13-12-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 13-12-2014, 08:40 PM
Everly

Quote:
Originally Posted by satsujin
This is my experience --> This experience belongs to one
This is mine ---> This is one's

Nope...doesn't work at all.

Using "one" means everyone or anyone. The meaning is very different from the personal "I/me/mine". "One" is used in general terms.

For example...

I went to the store has a different meaning from one went to the store.

In your example, an experience cannot belong to one (meaning self), nor does it make any grammatical or inferential sense to say that "this is one's" when referring to oneself.

I see nothing wrong with using personal pronouns. Anything else seems precious, forced and, to me, silly. Language is good and using it correctly is even better. Reliable, accurate communication depends on using language well.
Old 14-12-2014, 12:09 AM
Master
Remarkable how the word 'I' refers to different things, like, 'I went to the store', refers to the body going to the store. That's different to saying, 'I thought about going to the store', which refers to something that thinks. Simiarly when one says, 'my intuition' or 'my conscience', referring to something that possesses innate abilities.

The rub is attempting to identify the thing that thinks and possesses inate abilities. There's nothing tangible to assign these traits to, as how can a person predict the next thought they'll have or be aware of something that has not yet occurred?
Old 14-12-2014, 03:55 AM
Everly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Remarkable how the word 'I' refers to different things, like, 'I went to the store', refers to the body going to the store. That's different to saying, 'I thought about going to the store', which refers to something that thinks. Simiarly when one says, 'my intuition' or 'my conscience', referring to something that possesses innate abilities.

The word "I" in your examples are the same thing. They refer to the person doing the action. It's the verbs that are different. In the first example, went is the verb. In the second one, thought is the verb. "I went..." is the subject and verb of the sentence. "I thought..." is, again, the subject and verb. In both cases, "I" means precisely the same thing and does not refer at all to different things. It refers to the person performing the action in both examples.

This is also true for the use of "my". My has nothing to do with the intuition or conscience of your hypothetical sentences. "My" merely identifies whose intuition or conscience is being discussed.

I don't mean to sound obnoxious. It's hard to be constructively critical in writing without sounding awful.
Old 14-12-2014, 05:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everly
The word "I" in your examples are the same thing. They refer to the person doing the action. It's the verbs that are different. In the first example, went is the verb. In the second one, thought is the verb. "I went..." is the subject and verb of the sentence. "I thought..." is, again, the subject and verb. In both cases, "I" means precisely the same thing and does not refer at all to different things. It refers to the person performing the action in both examples.

This is also true for the use of "my". My has nothing to do with the intuition or conscience of your hypothetical sentences. "My" merely identifies whose intuition or conscience is being discussed.

I don't mean to sound obnoxious. It's hard to be constructively critical in writing without sounding awful.

If I say I went to the store I mean 'my' body went there, and when I say I thought about going to the store it means I thought, but doesn't refer to the body. 'I' makes reference to different things, but the 'I think' reference doesn't really identify a thinker, it kinda identifies a belief that there is a thinker. There is nothing tangible that I can identify that 'does' this thinking.

'My' identifies the one who possess. My body, my intuition, my conscience, my experience, my thoughts... etc.
Old 14-12-2014, 09:46 PM
VisionQuest

$**@&^@^$*()@*%$7reiwyw6327^#*&@^&@$^)(#$*(7873862 7967*)*&*(#@^$&*^$&$*@&$*(@&$*(^&$*(@$*(&*(@$^&*

??!!
Old 15-12-2014, 02:46 AM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by satsujin
Currently trying a interesting spiritual exercise where one does not refer to the self using words like "I, me, mine" etc. Not sure if the word "one" is a good alternative. Problems also seem stronger with sentences like "This is my experience" and "It is mine". Has anyone else tried this experiment and maybe help if possible?

This is my experience --> This experience belongs to one
This is mine ---> This is one's

As, you can see this puts too much use on the word "one" which doesn't really reference the self but am wondering if there is a better way of doing this.

In writing this response, an example in a dream journal is given where no specific mention is made to any first person pronoun by name. Hopefully this will give a successful example of an exercise of writing without using first person pronouns.

The following is an example of the many types of pronouns (including first person):

http://www.english-grammar-revolutio...-pronouns.html

When writing dream journals, the use of first person pronouns makes the journal seem egocentric. That bring up memories of a humorous web forum called Ego Central (which fell by the wayside and no longer exists).

The following example is an abbreviated lucid dream which occurred a few days ago.

Walking into a house in the astral dimension with unknown occupants, a voice said that all of the technology (or appearances of the house's interior) would match those that the house guest (lucid dreamer) were accustomed to. This brought up some misinterpretations as to what some of the devices were. For example, a phone with a large visual display appeared to be a flat screen television set.

The owner of this home said that this device was currently set to channel 20 or 21. But what was actually meant was that 20 or 21 channels, or endpoints of communication, existed to connect several astral/spiritual beings to a party line or conference call.

Not knowing that the people on the other side of the screen could see some one looking at them, a face appeared with numerous tiny eyes. Then this face changed shape as to give the appearance of two eyes and a nose.

A woman then appeared and resembled an intelligent rabbit with at least two long ears. She was greeted on the other end with a confused and bewildered expression. This woman then returned the apprehensive expression she saw with a similar one.

In a nutshell, phrases such as "In my dream" are substituted with "In this dream." "I reached down and tied my shoe laces" becomes "Reaching down, the shoe laces were tied." Personal pronouns such as I, me, we, us, my, mine, myself, our, ours and ourselves are simply eliminated from the sentence where they normally would have been used.

In the absence of second and third person pronouns in a sentence, the subject or object of the sentence is implicitly understood to be the first person.

Didn't you successfully use this method in your initial post (except where you specifically gave examples or used quotes)? The last part of the final sentence of your post would be changed from "but am wondering if there is a better way of doing this" to something else like "but isn't there a better way of doing this" or "but curiosity ponders if there is a better way of doing this."

Are the examples and explanations helpful in your attempt to avoid using first person pronouns?
Old 15-12-2014, 04:15 AM
KevinO

How about kumquat?

"I kumquat."

"Kumquat came, kumquat saw, kumquat conquered."

"A kumquat, a Scotsman and an Englishman walked into a bar in the US. After they were served the Scotsman complained "for every four pints of Stout I order in Glasgow, I get one for free!"

Then the Englishman said, "In me pub in London, I order two pints of Guiness and get a third one for free".

Then the kumquat says, "That's nothing, in my pub in India, they give you the first pint for free, the second pint for free, the third pint for free, then you go upstairs and get all the sex you want, for free!

The others objected, saying that cannot be so.

"Well maybe not for me", admitted the kumquat, "but it is for my sister."
Old 15-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinO
How about kumquat?

"I kumquat."

"Kumquat came, kumquat saw, kumquat conquered."

"A kumquat, a Scotsman and an Englishman walked into a bar in the US. After they were served the Scotsman complained "for every four pints of Stout I order in Glasgow, I get one for free!"

Then the Englishman said, "In me pub in London, I order two pints of Guiness and get a third one for free".

Then the kumquat says, "That's nothing, in my pub in India, they give you the first pint for free, the second pint for free, the third pint for free, then you go upstairs and get all the sex you want, for free!

"Well maybe not for me", admitted the kumquat, "but it is for my sister."

This script rewritten without first personal pronouns:

"The perception of this world from self:"

"To arrive, to see, and to conquer."

A kumquat, a Scotsman and an Englishman walked into a bar in the US. After they were served the Scotsman complained "for every four pints of Stout ordered in Glasgow, one is received for free!"

Then the Englishman said, "In a pub frequented in London, for every two pints of Guiness ordered, a third one is received for free".

Then the kumquat says, "That's nothing, in a pub in India, they give the first pint for free, the second pint for free, the third pint for free, then go upstairs and get all the sex wanted, for free!

"Well maybe not for men", admitted the kumquat, "but it is for a man's young and beautiful sister."
Old 16-12-2014, 02:33 PM
n2mec

Me, Myself and I, the Holy Trinity of conceptual thinking. A better way, go directly to Truth, until the game of words cease.