Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 29-10-2018, 11:47 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Namaste.

I just found a free PDF of the Mandukya Upanishad by Swami Krishnananda which, as I recall, was the very first version of it I ever read:

https://www.swami-krishnananda.org/mand_0.html

I sort of "unofficially" associate myself with the Divine Life Society, seeing as how Swami Satyananda Saraswati was my Guru ( I met him as a child) and seeing as how I received Diksha from Swami Chidananda Saraswati back in 2000... and seeing as how I spent a lot of time at the DLS society headquarters in Malaysia..

I recall meeting Swami Venkateshananda who was the most quiet, peaceful soul I have ever met...and his disciple, Swami Kartikeyyan-ji...they all said to me "if you want a purely intellectual synopsis on any of the Upanishads, that is what Swami Krishnananda DOES.. he's always in his head, that one".

I don't talk about my time in Rishikesh much, as I just saw the dalliance there as a very brief "means unto an end"..However, I have the lineage and the background if anybody asks it of me..and nobody usually does, so I just go "mmmokay, whatever" because I would never want to give personal comment that may put the whole establishment into disrepute.

I agree with you though, to each their own and everybody's beliefs and practices are unique to them...and I can respect that...I just have to learn how to respect others who do not respect mine...not saying they have to follow it or anything...Up to them.

A lot of my beliefs and practices are dualistic...So was Patanjali's...and I like it that way...and trying to change from what I like, to what I dislike, just because I may like it much better after a decade or two of practice, isn't my idea of having a good time...but I also realise that the atman does not like/dislike or "have a good time"...The Bhagavad-Gita tells us that, however, not being equanamous plays a very important part in individual preference..

So, I will now go back to my Christopher (Hareesh) Wallis lectures on Patanjali, meanwhile thinking if there ever was a school/teaching that commensurates with my beliefs as they stand now, and have done so for the past few decades, it would be this one:
http://www.sanatansociety.com/artist...ri_history.htm

Meanwhile, I was tempted to reply to your post in the Non-duality forum when you said to Miss Hepburn "who is asking?" With "who wants to know?" but seeing as how I was in a totally dualistic mood at the time, I thought better of it. LoL

Aum Namah Shivaya

Thanks for sharing your lineage. That is helpful in knowing where a person is coming from. I've had many teachers but my primary spiritual mentor for about 30 years was Her Holiness Mahamandeleshwara Ma Yoga Shakti Saraswati of Benares.

https://books.google.com/books?id=AC...shakti&f=false

I too had a brief visit to Rishikesh when I took a side trip from the 1998 Haridwar Khumba Mela. I loved Rishikesh. (I noticed that Harish Johari, the person mentioned in the link that you provided, moved to Haridwar and spent the rest of his life there. Haridwar will always hold a fond place in my heart.)

Regarding the Upanishads, I've noticed that the purely intellectual commentaries no longer hold me fast. My teacher strongly urged us to focus on the direct experiences and that alone seems to satisfy me now. I am reading a book by Rudolf Steiner now (I just bought it yesterday.) and he points out that "statement of spiritual science may elude a purely intellectual judgment" and that direct experience with the spiritual realms are more important. With that, I concur completely at this stage of my life though the intellect served me well in the path and served as a catalyst for going further.

As for duality, it is possible to "live in two worlds" as the expression goes --- with one being dualistic as one plays out one's role on the stage of life (Aum Namah Shivay) and the other one being non-dualistic (OM). One does not exclude the other. As in conscious sleep, one can enjoy the role of the dream-object but one can also shift attention to the Source which, in the case of the dream, is obviously the dreamer.

You wrote: "I agree with you though, to each their own and everybody's beliefs and practices are unique to them...and I can respect that...I just have to learn how to respect others who do not respect mine...not saying they have to follow it or anything...Up to them." Respecting those who do not respect my beliefs presented a challenge in my life as well. The Sufi Mystic, Hazrat Inayat Khan, once wrote that words cannot express Truth fully and, hence, when Sufis do not agree with what is being said, they do not argue on the lower planes but raise the dialogue to a higher deeper level where the essentials of religions start to merge. In some cases, one must simply extricate one's self from the situation or confront in Zen-like fashion with a statement that requires reflection. (Lord Jesus did that brilliantly when he said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". He didn't answer the Pharisees' question but, in actuality, he made them reflect and figure out what he was saying for themselves.) I've learned not to criticize as best as possible (I'm not always successful.) as my sense is that all roads lead to the goal .... eventually.

Since you are reading Pantanjali's yoga sutras once again, feel free to start a thread on that subject as Pantanjali was a major influence in my development. Asthanga Yoga is quite a scientific approach on the pathless pass to samadhi.

Once again, I must say how much I enjoy your insightful posts and look forward to our continued dialogue here.
Old 30-10-2018, 04:20 AM
Master
I will return to this thread at a later date, but for now..I am not feeling at all well.

I can usually deal with psychic attacks, but this one is totally off the scale and I feel like I am losing it...All I can do is pray to Shiva and chant the Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra until it passes.

My keys are being hidden, my batteries are getting drained in everything, the refrigerated milk I bought 2 days ago is off already, the toilet cistern has sprung a leak, I have sent texts to others who have sworn they didn't get them, dogs have knocked my trash can over and rubbish is everywhere.

But this thread is about the Mandukya Upanishad...so right now, living in denial is much easier, because I see these things happening, but they are not happening! There is no rubbish strewn all over my front yard, I am only imagining it...It will go away if I keep closing and reopening my eyes enough times...The same with the leaking cistern, the flat batteries, the milk..I am still going to put it in my coffee and drink my coffee because there's nothing wrong with the milk...Maybe IF I refuse to believe it is off, then it won't be, right?

Meanwhile, I am absolutely no good for SF until this all blows over.....So I am going to hide under my blankets, Rudraksha Mala in hand until it does...However long that takes...

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 30-10-2018, 11:08 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
I will return to this thread at a later date, but for now..I am not feeling at all well.

I can usually deal with psychic attacks, but this one is totally off the scale and I feel like I am losing it...All I can do is pray to Shiva and chant the Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra until it passes.

My keys are being hidden, my batteries are getting drained in everything, the refrigerated milk I bought 2 days ago is off already, the toilet cistern has sprung a leak, I have sent texts to others who have sworn they didn't get them, dogs have knocked my trash can over and rubbish is everywhere.

But this thread is about the Mandukya Upanishad...so right now, living in denial is much easier, because I see these things happening, but they are not happening! There is no rubbish strewn all over my front yard, I am only imagining it...It will go away if I keep closing and reopening my eyes enough times...The same with the leaking cistern, the flat batteries, the milk..I am still going to put it in my coffee and drink my coffee because there's nothing wrong with the milk...Maybe IF I refuse to believe it is off, then it won't be, right?

Meanwhile, I am absolutely no good for SF until this all blows over.....So I am going to hide under my blankets, Rudraksha Mala in hand until it does...However long that takes...

Aum Namah Shivaya

Be well. Rest in Shiva meditation and it will most assuredly restore your vital energies. I do the same thing at times.

Peace.