Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 25-01-2012, 01:19 PM
MrNiceGuy

Brainwave entrainment / Binaural beats

Quote:
Brainwave entrainment or "brainwave synchronization," is any practice that aims to cause brainwave frequencies to fall into step with a periodic stimulus having a frequency corresponding to the intended brain-state (for example, to induce sleep), usually attempted with the use of specialized software. It purportedly depends upon a "frequency following" response on the assumption that the human brain has a tendency to change its dominant EEG frequency towards the frequency of a dominant external stimulus.[citation needed] Such a stimulus is often aural, as in the case of binaural or monaural beats and isochronic tones, or else visual, as with a dreamachine, a combination of the two with a mind machine, or even electromagnetic radiation

Quote:
Binaural beats or binaural tones are auditory processing artifacts, or apparent sounds, the perception of which arises in the brain for specific physical stimuli. This effect was discovered in 1839 by Heinrich Wilhelm Dove, and earned greater public awareness in the late 20th century based on claims that binaural beats could help induce relaxation, meditation, creativity and other desirable mental states. The effect on the brainwaves depends on the difference in frequencies of each tone, for example, if 300 Hz was played in one ear and 310 in the other, then the binaural beat would have a frequency of 10 Hz.[1][2]

The brain produces a phenomenon resulting in low-frequency pulsations in the amplitude and sound localization of a perceived sound when two tones at slightly different frequencies are presented separately, one to each of a subject's ears, using stereo headphones. A beating tone will be perceived, as if the two tones mixed naturally, out of the brain. The frequencies of the tones must be below 1,000 hertz for the beating to be noticeable.[3] The difference between the two frequencies must be small (less than or equal to 30 Hz) for the effect to occur; otherwise, the two tones will be heard separately and no beat will be perceived. An on-line sound example of a sound with binaural beats can be found here.

Binaural beats are of interest to neurophysiologists investigating the sense of hearing.[4][5][6][7]

Binaural beats reportedly influence the brain in more subtle ways through the entrainment of brainwaves[3][8][9] and have been claimed to reduce anxiety[10] and provide other health benefits such as control over pain.

I've become increasingly interested in brainwave entrainment after reading the following article - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2005Jan2.html

I'm particularly intrested in the gamma wave frequency and how it may affect our consciousness, levels of awareness and sense of perception during meditation.

Does anyone here have experience with brainwave entrainment ? I'd like to hear about it.

Also if you have any usefull links to offer me i'd appreciate it as i don't know much about the topic yet. I had a fleeting interest in it years back but kinda snuffed at it though there seems to be gathering evidence for it.
Old 25-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Guide
I am new to meditation, and I just learning how to do it. However, I have sought the help of solfeggio frequencies and binaural beats to do so. All I can share is my experience.

When listening with headphones to a combination of beats and frequencies, my eyes started to flutter on their own and I had no control of it. And I saw flashes of light, and the light was matching the beats to the music exactly. I started to alarm me slightly but I continued breathing and didn't allow fear to take over.

The song kinda looped a bit at one point, and the fluttering and flashing started again. It's like my brain was sychronizing itself to the frequencies and beats. I never told anyone about it, and was about to ask people here at SF about it, when I saw this post (coincidence? lol).

I am hoping to activate my psychic (and other) abilities thru meditation. So far I just found that is relaxes me and I can think clearly. Although I have a feeling I am on the edge of some sort of breathrough.
Old 25-01-2012, 02:48 PM
CuriousSnowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn1976
I am hoping to activate my psychic (and other) abilities thru meditation. So far I just found that is relaxes me and I can think clearly. Although I have a feeling I am on the edge of some sort of breathrough.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I saw this and wanted to offer a little friendly advice. Trying to use meditation to develop abilities is putting the cart before the horse. Meditation creates certain states of mind and opens you to certain perceptions and understandings. These states, perceptions, and understandings then create certain abilities (empathy, telepathy, precognition, etc) as a matter of course, almost as side effects. One cannot have the abilities without the states of mind, and trying to do so will actually push both the states and the abilities away, since the point of meditation is to step away from desires and attachments and to calm the mind.

So my advice it to meditate simply to meditate, and see the abilities for what they are, amusing and occasionally useful side effects of a heightened consciousness.

CS
Old 25-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousSnowflake
I don't want to derail this thread, but I saw this and wanted to offer a little friendly advice. Trying to use meditation to develop abilities is putting the cart before the horse. Meditation creates certain states of mind and opens you to certain perceptions and understandings. These states, perceptions, and understandings then create certain abilities (empathy, telepathy, precognition, etc) as a matter of course, almost as side effects. One cannot have the abilities without the states of mind, and trying to do so will actually push both the states and the abilities away, since the point of meditation is to step away from desires and attachments and to calm the mind.

So my advice it to meditate simply to meditate, and see the abilities for what they are, amusing and occasionally useful side effects of a heightened consciousness.

CS

Thank you for your advice. I already have some empath abilities, intuition, and telepathy. I also have some psychic ability. I don't know how to bring these abilities out, and being Christian I have only recently been realizing that this is how God made me and I want to enhance them and use them (versus being ashamed of them). I never meditated before until recent weeks.

I will PM you, so as not to turn this thread into a different topic.