Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Natural Remedies

Old 23-06-2011, 04:52 AM
Neth Rana

Acid Reflux

I have TERRIBLE acid reflux. I've had it since I was about...12 or 13, though I didn't figure out what it was until I was 15 or so. (I thought it was normal for people to feel sick all the time...) I am a singer, and when it gets really bad, the acid come up and actually burns my vocal chords, making me lose my voice for a bit. I've tried everything to stop it, and while it's definitely a lot better than it used to be, there are still times when I do everything right and it's still really bad. (By everything right I mean I don't drink soda or eat spicy foods, I wait two hours before I lay down after eating, my bed is slightly propped up, all that good stuff.)
Not only does it make me sick, but it really effects my singing, and frankly I'm just really tired of it. I used to be on medicine, but I stopped taking it because I realized it just helps with the heartburn (and causes other side effects,) but doesn't help the actual reflux. I'm also kind of afraid because I'm very young to have it so bad...I know a lot of people end up with it when they get older and I'm afraid of what that means for me! I'm afraid it's going to cause a lot of health problems for me down the road, with the constant acid wearing away at my tummy. Does anyone know any natural remedies that could help me? I'm really desperate for some relief and would love some help. Thank you in advance!

-Neth Rana
Old 23-06-2011, 05:25 AM
Master
Hi Neth Rana, have you been diagnosed by a doctor for this condition ?.
Old 23-06-2011, 05:27 AM
Experiencer
Location: Adelaide, Australia - but born and bred in Ireland:)
I suffer with chronic indigestion and I find that peppermint is the best thing for it. Meadowsweet is also mean to be good, but I don't like the taste of it. I take them as teas.
Old 23-06-2011, 05:31 AM
Neth Rana

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
Hi Neth Rana, have you been diagnosed by a doctor for this condition ?.

Yup. Went to the hospital and had to drink this gross liquid while they put this thing on my stomach and watched how I digested it and everything...oh so pleasant. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrais
I suffer with chronic indigestion and I find that peppermint is the best thing for it. Meadowsweet is also mean to be good, but I don't like the taste of it. I take them as teas.

Peppermint, really? hmmm interesting...i'll have to try it. What is meadowsweet?
Old 23-06-2011, 05:38 AM
Experiencer
Meadowsweet is a herb - you can get it as a tea in most natural food stores. It pretty much tastes like grass:)
Old 23-06-2011, 05:38 AM
Master
Hi Neth Rana, have you been diagnosed by a doctor for this condition ?

Yup. Went to the hospital and had to drink this gross liquid while they put this thing on my stomach and watched how I digested it and everything...oh so pleasant. lol

Yes but what was the diagnoses, what is the cause ?.
Old 23-06-2011, 05:43 AM
Neth Rana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrais
Meadowsweet is a herb - you can get it as a tea in most natural food stores. It pretty much tastes like grass:)

Oh how...yummy...lol So as a tea with lots of honey?

Quote:
Yes but what was the diagnoses, what is the cause ?.[/color]

They said I have acid reflux disease.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001311/

"Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a condition in which the stomach contents (food or liquid) leak backwards from the stomach into the esophagus (the tube from the mouth to the stomach). This action can irritate the esophagus, causing heartburn and other symptoms."
Old 23-06-2011, 05:54 AM
Master
TIF (transoral incisionless fundoplication) is the latest treatment for safely and effectively treating chronic acid reflux disease, or GORD. A completely incisionless procedure, TIF reconstructs the antireflux barrier to provide a solution to the anatomical root cause of GORD. The procedure is for patients who are dissatisfied with current pharmaceutical therapies or are concerned about the long-term effects of daily use of reflux medications.

http://www.treatreflux.com.au/TIFprocedure.htm

I thought this sounded good, see what you think.
Old 23-06-2011, 05:56 AM
SunMist

Do you take in chocolate or coffee? If you do try cutting them out completely (yes, agony I know) for a month. Have you tried googling for all things that weaken the esophageal sphincter? There's a list of foods that do this. Also did they rule out hiatal hernia when they did your tests? I've have problems with acid reflux mainly triggered by coffee and chocolate, dark chocolate is the worst - it's a shame because I love those foods above all.
Old 23-06-2011, 05:58 AM
Experiencer
I don't sweeten my tea, but I'm sure honey would do no harm. I love my peppermint - I have it every night before bed!

You could also try them in a tincture, though I haven't tried that.