Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Closed Thread

Old 20-12-2006, 10:59 AM
~Jay~

Winter Solstice

http://www.equinox-and-solstice.com/..._solstice.html

Celebrating the Winter Solstice
Winter Solstice, or Yule, is held on or around December 22nd. It marks the shortest day of the year (in the Northern Hemisphere) and is an important holiday to those who follow the old ways.

To the ancients, it appeared as if the Sun and Moon stopped in their flight across the sky—this is the longest night of the year and was a time of both anticipation and rejoicing at the Sun's rebirth out of the Goddess.

The Sun's representation as the male divinity, or celestial ruler, predates Christianity. As with other rituals and celebrations, the Church felt that by assimilating this holiday into the Christian beliefs, it would help convert those who still followed the Olde Way.

Symbolism of the Winter Solstice
The Winter Solstice marks a crucial part of the natural cycle. In a real sense, the sun begins anew its journey toward longer days, times of new growth and renewal of the world once again. In a spiritual sense, it is a reminder that in order for a new path to begin, the old one must end and that spring will come again.

The winter solstice is the longest night of the year and is said to be when the Goddess gives birth to the God. From here on in the year, the days will become longer as the god grows into his full strength.

Fire and candles are important to many pagan holidays, but especially so for the winter solstice, as the God of most modern pagan traditions is associated with the sun. The winter solstice is a time of feasting and celebration. Often trees are decorated with bright ornaments, a tradition going back to ancient Germanic peoples, who held the oak and the fir tree as sacred. The Yule Log, candles and mistletoe are all symbols of the winter solstice.

Burning the Yule Log
The term Yule stems from the Anglo-Saxon "yula" or "wheel" of the year. In ancient pagan ritual, the Yule Log was lit on the eve of Winter Solstice and burned for twelve hours. Later, the Log was replaced by the Yule Tree, but instead of being burned, it was adorned with burning candles.

Relationship to Christmas
Pagan holidays have influenced many Christian traditions, including Halloween and Easter. Yule, or the Winter solstice, is considered by many to be the reason Christmas is celebrated in December. Both Christmas and the Winter Solstice celebrate the birth of gods.

The selection of December 25th as a Christian holiday was first recorded in scholarly texts dating to 325 A.D., although the actual practice was first decreed in 274 A.D. by the Emperor Aurelian. Since the non-Christians viewed this time as the rebirth of the sun, it made sense for the Church to also mark this period as the celebration of the nativity of Christ. Curiously, the selection of the day appears arbitrary although mankind had long known how to calculate the solstices. One can only guess that, rather than shift the celebration each year, a regularly scheduled event was preferable—the old Roman desire for order never quite left the new faith.

Additionally, many of the pagan traditions have been adopted to celebrate Christmas. Burning a Yule log, hanging mistletoe, lighting Advent candles and decorating trees are all now part of modern Christmas celebrations.

Definition of Solstice
Solstice derives from an ancient Latin word meaning "stop," or "to stand still." According to Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, it refers to one of two points when the sun is furthest from the celestial equator.
Old 21-12-2006, 07:49 PM
~Jay~

Anyone feel the energies today? It's got really strong now with me, and I can feel it coming up from my feet & all through my body.
Old 21-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Lapis

A POWER DAY - Winter Solstice

Thanks for this Jaycee, it was great.

Yes the past few days have been really intense, intense good and just plain intense! :drunken_smilie: I'm still 'sick' but that's part of it all it seems. Been having the most amazing dreams every night and yesterday, the New Moon at 28 Sagittarius conjunct the Galactic Genter, I had a couple of wonderful 'downloads' of Light/knowledge or expanded awareness about "astrology" and "joy". Must sound strange but it was wonderful. All of 2007 will be like this so everyone get ready to be changed/expanded again and again and again!

I've noticed an increase in the inner ear clicking I hear, also my eyes are feeling extra weird, been tipsy or sort of ungrounded because its so intense, and.......people have been stairing at me when I've been in the stores recently. I had to check quick to make sure I'd dressed myself!!! Who knows at this point?

Happy Winter Solstice everyone......and USE it wisely!
Old 22-12-2006, 07:19 AM
pokeyjo11

Color

Thanks Jaycee, and Happy Solstice to All
Thank you all for BEing such wonderfully bright reflections...

Lapis, a personal thanks for your experience and optimism! I Love that you shine so brightly!

pj11
Closed Thread