Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Closed Thread

Old 20-02-2007, 08:42 PM
ljepotica

Remedies from home etc that you find useful!

Hello all

I thought why not start off a thread where people advise of any kind of remedy that you don't normally find in books to treat common ailments-it would be good to know what you can use without going to 800 different shops to try and locate a certain ingredient don't you think?

Ok here I go:

1) SALIVA: for insect bites, if you're somewhere outdoors and get bitten by a few mosquitos then applying saliva on the bites calms it down for a little while-hey not all of us carry anti-mosquito stuff with us all the time do we? You have to re-apply the saliva from time to time.

2) BLACK TEA (Ceylon, Earl Grey, Darjeeling, Kenya, Assam etc-NOT awful stuff like pg tips or tetley!?!?) is great for hydrating you if you've had too much to drink or are thirsty-works better than water or other liquids at quenching thirst I've found!
Also excellent if you've been out clubbing for the night to drink when you wake-up! It basically hydrates you inside and stops that annoying feeling you get when you're thirsty.

3) MIXED BERRIES-including blueberries: For an energy boost-blueberries are super-foods anyway and they work wonders!?!?

4) OLIVE OIL: Great to condition your hair and for general haircare-just put it in your hair about 1-2 hours before you shower and it will really help your hair a lot!

5) MUSTARD OIL: Excellent for the hair, great to strengthen and condition the hair and great for weak hair as it helps to make it stronger-same as olive oil-put in your hair about 1-2 hours before you shower.

6) EGG: Another excellent treatment for the hair-helps to nourish and condition and gives nutrients to it-apply to hair 1-2 hours before you shower.

7) HENNA: For the hair same as above oils and egg! BEWARE: don't use if you have light/blonde/grey/white hair unless you want your hair to turn a weird orange/red colour!?

8) HONEY: For diabetics-believe it or not it helps keep blood sugar levels in control-and is a natural sweetner. There has been research carried out that honey helps keep blood sugar levels in control and even reduce blood sugar levels.

Ok that's all for now,

Any of you have stuff to share with us?

I look forward to hearing from you guys and your advice-well why not share-you never know you'll be glad you read about saliva the next time you get bitten by mosquitos in the park

Lots of love,

S xxxx
Old 22-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Woman Who Loves Nature

Ijepotica about Home Remedies

Great Idea Ijepotica! I grew up with home remedies so I too will add a few.

1. Comfrey is the best thing to help with cuts and bruises. You just take the leaves and stems and put into boiling water and let steep for 10-15 min. then let cool to comfortable temp and either put the steeped leaves on the bruises and/or dip a small cloth into the liquid and put that on cuts. If the cut is bad but not requiring stitches then soak it right in the comfrey solution off and on for the day or evening and it will close up by the next day. Good for all cuts, scrapes and even helps heal broken bones when taken as a tea. Drink one cup 3 - 5 times a day. I recommend you add some peppermint leaves or other types of mint. If you don't care for mint then add raspberry leaves and/or any berrie leaves to it so that it tastes nicer and honey to suit your taste. Comfrey is a great bone mender tea.

2. A real good all around homemade medicine is honey, garlic and vinegar. You put in equal amounts into a glass container and mix it up, you can add more honey or vinegar to suit your taste. Also the garlic is greatly toned down by the vinegar so don't worry you won't go around making ppl faint from garlic breath. You want it to be a thin syrup, let it set a few days to soak all the ingredients in to one another. Then use a spoonful at a time for colds, coughs and sore throats. You can also make a soothing tea by adding it to a cup of hot water even better for the pain of strep throat. It really does taste good even though it sounds like it wouldn't. This can be stored for months and just gets better with age.

3. Another good remedy is: Apply the membrane of an egg( it is what is left after you pour the egg out the bit of skin like substance at the top inside of the shell) onto a bee sting and let it dry and pull it off and the stinger will come out with it.

4. Good old lemon juice and honey also works for sore throats and also some of the cold symptoms. You can also just use vinegar and honey it does the same thing but I think it is better because vinegar has many more healing properties in it than lemon. Don't take that wrong lemon has its good points too. Some singers drink a bit of lemon juice before performing which cleared the vocal cords and helped the singer to be able to sing with a purer pitch. A music teacher told me that so it must do the trick. If someone out there trys it and it works let me know.

5. Okay this one may sound a bit crazy but I know that it does work quite well. For stomach ulcers and bleeding ulcers of the stomach that is two different things here I am referring to okay? You take one level teaspoon of Cayenne pepper into a cup of hot water, or hot tea and drink at least 2-3 times a day for 3-5 days and it will ease the pain of the stomach ulcers and also stop the bleeding of the stomach ulcers.

Okay I have more but will leave off for now. Anyone else out there have some good home remedies to share? I would love to hear about them as well.

Again, this was a really great idea Ijepotica because these are easy to make and most ppl have the ingreadients in their kitchens and out around their homes and some herbs grow wild in empty city lots as well. Warning: Be sure of what you are gathering in the way of wild herbs before assuming it is safe to use okay?. WWLN
Old 22-02-2007, 11:27 AM
ljepotica

Thank you very much WWLN!

I didn't know about the cayenne pepper nor the egg membrane for beestings!

Yes it's good to share knowledge like this for you never know...the next time you fall and bruise yourself.

I'd love to hear more and thank you again!

Lots of love,

S xxxx
Old 23-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Woman Who Loves Nature

Lightbulb Home Remedies

Okay Ijepotica here goes with a few more then.

1. Good ole Honey is great for skin burns and it relieves the painful smarting of the burn and also keeps the burn from blistering, and quickens the healing process too!

2. Another use for honey or I should say the honeycomb is to chew a bubblegum size to help relieve a stuffed up nose and sinus problems as well as Hay fever symptoms. Helps with the watery eyes, and runny nose and sore throat that happens with hay fever. Just chew the honeycomb for 5-10 min and you should feel the good results and relief it is said.

2a. If you are a hay fever sufferer start using regular honey a couple of months before the season. Start taking a teaspoon of honey after each meal and one teaspoon with water at bedtime. (Strained comb honey is the best because of the enzymes in the wax but the regular honey will do.) Then about two weeks before the hay fever season starts begin taking a mixture of 2 teaspoons of honey and 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with a half glass of water before breakfast and just before bedtime, continue this thru the hay fever season and continue the 1 teaspoon of honey as a dessert after lunch and dinner while you are continuing using the honey vinegar mixture before breakfast and at bedtime. and it can't hurt to chew honeycomb throughout each day to keep the nose open and dry.

Well it is late so I will post this and talk about what Castor oil is good for (Yuck!) Next time! HeHeHe WWLN

Last edited by Woman Who Loves Nature : 23-02-2007 at 08:17 AM.
Old 25-02-2007, 08:04 PM
OceanWaves19161

For laryngitis/voice loss

A bit of shredded ginger (helps reduce inflamation of larynx)
Honey (soothing for throat)
lemon juice (vitamin c to help you fight the cold or whatever you have)
hot water
Old 05-03-2007, 11:54 PM
Woman Who Loves Nature

Talking Home Remedies

Okay All You Home Remedy Enthusiasts, Lets talk about what the ole remedy Castor oil is good for today. Ughh! Well you don't have to drink it Thank God! Okay here goes...

1. You can rub Castor oil on warts morning and night and rub around on it 20 times or so, that way it gets well worked in. Do that each and everytime you apply the oil. It should begin to disappear within a month or so sometimes sooner.

2. Castor oil is also good for other ulcers on the body, apply the same way as above for warts.

3.Castor oil is good for red irritated eyes, just put in 1 drop in each eye and it will soon relieve the irritation.

4. In the old days women would rub a bit of Castor oil on a newborns navel to insure good healing once the cord fell off.

5. Castor oil was also used to rub into the scalp (a few drops) twice a week to help hair growth in babies. It should work for everyone but I myself have never tried it so take your chances hehe You must rub it thoroughly into the scalp and let it remain on overnight, then wash out the next morning. Do this until you see a satisfactory change and then you can apply 1 day a week then later 1 time a month.

6. It is said that Castor oil will also help the eyelashes grow if applied at bedtime 3 times a week. It will thicken them and make them grow longer.

7. The best thing I have heard about the use of Castor oil is that my brother would put it in his hunting dogs eyes(a few drops and rub it gently in) when they had become irritated from running in that grass that sticks in their eyes and causes redness and soreness. He claimed it fixed them right up!

8. Another use for Castor oil is to put it on cuts, scrapes and sores it helps heal and relieves the pain of the affliction.

9. Oh! One more thing, Castor oil also helps make liver spots fade from the hands and face and it does work!!! I tried it and it took about a month using it morning and night. So... let me know out there if you try any of these Home Remedies and report how they worked for you okay?

Well boys and girls there are an abundance of uses for this nasty tasting stuff but I feel this is more than enough to give everyone an idea how to use Castor oil other than drinking it. Which by the way, if anyone is familiar with it knows it was a hard medicine to take! It was good for its cathartic action in times past.
Till the next time... WWLN

Last edited by Woman Who Loves Nature : 05-03-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:18 PM
cweiters

Home remedies

Ijepotica Hyssop is an accent old herb used for many cures:

Heat hyssop herb to a simmer do not boil mix with sugar honey excellent for colds, body cleanser inside and outside too, if you bath with it. I use the hyssop essential oil along with primrose oil been very good for dry skin or eczema.

Hot mud pack good for sores, I boil hot water mix with Red Georgia clay put in handkerchief or thick paper towel let it sit on sore area until hot mud is cool. Is working well for my dog Phoenix. There are many different herbs one can mix in a mud pack to expedite healing process hyssop is one of my favorite.

Love to all
cw
Old 06-03-2007, 08:36 PM
ljepotica

WWLN: hmmmm...I'm thinking in investing in some castor oil:)

Chilli: (the hotter the better) chillis are really excellent for clearing up congestion and blockage during colds-they really make you sweat a lot and work!
Chillis are also great for getting rid of waste and toxins in your body-ok so if you eat rather hot chilli it won't be good during the night but hey you'll get rid of some of the stuff that builds up in your body:)

Another thing my aunts used to do-the ones in Pakistan.

When you heat milk and it boils you get that film layer on top-basically you apply that layer onto your face for about 10-15 minutes and it's great for moisturisation and conditioning of your skin-I've never tried it as I cannot stand the texture of that stuff and find it creepy-but my aunts always used it and loved it!

Honey: excellent for diabetics to help control blood sugar levels-it works big time! For those of you who are diabetic normally after breakfast my blood sugar level is between 11-17 (not so good I know) but basically I had a breakfast of honey on toast and then went to have my blood sugar level checked and it was 7 considering it had not been 7 after having breakfast for a very very long time!

I was actually thinking of buying hyssop essential oil cweiters:)

Lots of love,

S xxxx
Old 08-03-2007, 09:35 AM
celtic_cutty

I find vinegar is good for cold sores and cuts..stingy but full of healing properties.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:23 PM
amy green

Cold Sore & Vinegar + Honey Uses

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic_cutty
I find vinegar is good for cold sores and cuts..stingy but full of healing properties.

A guaranteed cure for a coldsore, if applied when it gets to the first tingly stage, is an ice cube! Just place it on the area until it feels numb.

For those unlucky enough to get flea bites, vinegar stops the itchiness (stings briefly).

Manuka honey is far superior/more effective on burns. For a sore throat, just slowly sip a teaspoon of this honey, letting it trickle down the throat.

I could go on - it's a case of "don't get me started"!
Closed Thread