Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Books

Old 08-01-2014, 01:41 PM
Master
Tintin & Asterix

When I was a kid I used to *love* these books. I still do. Any other fans here?

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:56 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
When I was a kid I used to *love* these books. I still do. Any other fans here?

Absolutely !
Old 08-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Master

The Tintin and Asterix series were two Belgian and French series I grew up with too, along with Gaston and Sprint. The two latter might have other names depending on the languages of the many countries they were published in. They are all part of the postwar European comic book wave. With the exception of Gaston (who was usually singlepagers) all the series were always full album size, and printed on high quality paper. By comparison most of the American series of that time, DC and Marvel titles like Batman and Superman and Fantastic Four, were mostly on low quality pulp paper and using the minimum of three-color-mix raster quality if they were not simply printed in black and white. My country's libraries were always keeping those four labels on stock and they were usually read to rags.

But there were other differences between European and American series than printing quality. American characters were largely Superheroes, or so it seemed, while the European ones were mostly 'normal' guys (Obelix excepted, he fell into the druid's kettle as a kid...) ending up in adventures by accident. And the many superhero series, spearheaded by Stan Lee, were generally trying to be realistic if very very muscled, while the European ones were more slapstick both in humor and drawing style.

Both groups have their advantages. Batman could never have been French, he would not have seen the point in wearing a costume more elaborate than sunglasses. And the US could not have have produced a blonde teenager in tweed and v-sweater casually walking around alone in the deepest Africa. If Superman had been created in Germany he'd have had a swastika on his chest, and Donald Duck made in Belgium would have had pants and a calm temperament.

If I am to pick one favorite though it would have to be the Asterix series, who are placed mostly in Rome and France and Europe about 2000 years ago. The history research put into each of the the 15 first albums or so is astounding. Clothing, food, local customs, relations, socializing and of course history makes these innocuous books into a well camouflaged history course - with warm humor as an addition. I recommend the Asterix series with all its joys to both small and big readers.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Master
Yes the humour in both Tintin and Asterix shines through. I think the English speaking countries ought to be glad they were translated well. It would be nice though to be able to read them in their original languages.

Tintin is my favourite. Herge certainly put in a lot of research to make his stories credible. Like the moon landing, or the sonic weapons, or the type of aeroplanes and so on.

Old 25-04-2019, 09:19 PM
Master
I was flicking through my Tintin books and noticed just how many spiritual ideas are in them. Like levitation (Tintin in Tibet), hypnosis (Cigars Of The Pharaoh), voodoo and curses (The Seven Crystal Balls), aliens (Flight 714), the Yeti (Tintin in Tibet), space travel (Destination moon), e.s.p. (Tintin in Tibet), magic potions (Land Of Black Gold) etc. etc.

Old 25-04-2019, 10:02 PM
janielee

Miss comic books like this, Honza.
Old 26-04-2019, 06:41 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
Miss comic books like this, Honza.

Did you used to read them?

Old 26-04-2019, 05:13 PM
janielee

Asterix more than TT - I really like Asterix comics
Old 27-04-2019, 06:08 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
Asterix more than TT - I really like Asterix comics

They are well known for their satire and wit. Love them too.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:52 AM
janielee

Laughing is cool