Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 27-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan McDougall
Hi Sparrow,

I agree with your understanding about the afterlife, except in the case of hell. During my NDE I experienced hell like realms, dark and cold and remote from God. These were not images generated by my mind but real places

What are your comments please

Regards

Alan McDougall
Salutations in love and service, dear, Alan.

My comments, yes. Well, let us begin with that which is God. That which God is, is all there is. No thing can be remote from God, for God cannot be remote from itself.

Now, that which is ‘cold’ is an aspect of cellular memory. In that for you to experience something which is ‘cold’ it must interact with your thought process and human memory of a past experiential event. When you experience something within the spirit realm which to you is cold, it is so only because you have attached human cellular memory to your experience within that realm. So too for that which, to you, is dark.

As I have said before, human near death experiences are closely associated and inexplicably bound to human cellular memory and thought processes. The reason for this is because your consciousness persona, or soul, is returning to its True Self. Your human-soul aspect does not simply walk into some heavenly place. It tries to reconnect to its original source; its original core vibration. This means, upon physical death, your human consciousness attempts to return to its spirit counterpart by attuning and atoning its vibration in order for you to ‘find home’. Your home is where your soul group resides. Your soul group resides within a very unique vibration which you, as a being, are attuned to and return to. You may understand this as a sort of dimension, or sub-dimension which separate soul and vibrational groups or families. This will also help you understand why all physical beings do not appear to ‘go to the same place’. As part of the transition into the ether world your consciousness accesses your memory state in order to reconnect with your core vibration, in order that you may return home to the dimensional state where your spirit originates. Your spirit and the spirit of the person sitting next to you in physical state are likely not from the same vibrational or dimensional origin, and so are not likely to encounter the same near-death-experience or perspective of the afterlife.

The fact of you or someone else encountering visual and sensory environments portraying hell-like characteristics simply means you have attuned your human consciousness persona to a particular density, through your own memory retention and interactivity, and thus encountered, not a place of hell, but an expression of detachment from your true Self; your spirit. The observer that you were during such experience was not your spirit, it was observed and experienced through your human persona and had not reconnected to its original source. What you encountered was an experience of a particular vibration, interpreted and interacted with through the instrument of your human persona and its many fears, belief systems and learned formats of interpretation. This is to say, you as a human, interpret such vibrational interactions as ‘places’ because that is how your human thought processes work and relate to it through logical analysis. This is why I have previously stated the common human perspective can only penetrate so far into the spirit world when attempting to define it. Human beings have this tendency to pigeon hole everything into boxes; this place and that place; this is good and this is bad; this is heaven and this is hell. If you are thinking in this format then know you are still experiencing Self from within human persona, and thus subject to its many influences.

Your companion of spirit.
-Sparrow

~~~Spirit Guide Sparrow~~~
From the wisdom of my council to the wisdom of yours

¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆•°☆¸.•°*”˜� �”*°•.¸☆•°☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸

Last edited by Spirit Guide Sparrow : 27-04-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 27-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiss
Dear Sparrow friend,

A big hug of light for YOU and the Asceleottyi.

It is always a pleasure to re-read your posts in this thread. Each time I read I get more and more from them. They are like a never ending source of crystalline and fresh water. Even so, I am still thirsty of knowledge and understanding, and I come back here to review some aspects related to the circle of physical life and life in the spirit realm.

My doubts are mainly related to the soul and the free will:

a. If the spirit is pure and perfect, how comes the decision to live a lower dimension physical life anywhere in order to "experience" other certain things. Is the spirit perfect but at the same time incomplete? Who commands such decision?

b. We know what happens with our physical body when we pass, but what happens with our soul? I am still confused about spirit-soul.

c. I understood that if you act here in the sense of causing pain to other beings there are no other punishment when you pass that your own re-analysis and regret about that. In addition. that it is the essential step to go to higher energy dimensions. I also understood that in that case, the spirit could feel the need to complete some pending issues here in a successive physical life, but not as a karmic duty. My question is whether before incarnating agian you self-impose a kind of "mandate" to close such unfinished businesses and how.

d. When you describe the spirit realm, you use many beautiful "human" representations about what you perceive, and what you do there. As I forgot almost all about the way I felt and what I experienced when I came to this life, I have difficulties to connect the spirit realm with such "extremely improved" human experiences. In other words, it costs me to make analogies of there with the life here. How could I, at least, grasp anything of what truly happens there? Where should I apply my intention to know/ feel more?

I have more, but I prefer to stop here. Thanks in advance for your patience to revisit these issues.

With love as always,

TISS
Dear Tiss,

I am delightfully uplifted to be able to impart flavour to your life through the fruits of my words. I endeavour with every attentive word to provide seed for new thought and contemplation, through which to grow roots to your own heart wisdom. Through your deeds of the days that reflect such wisdom spring the branches of opportunity and joyous abundance. May you savour in the zest of life. May your heart feed your soul, and your soul feed the world.

Let us attend to your doubts, that they may be relieved.

a. If the spirit is pure and perfect, how comes the decision to live a lower dimension physical life anywhere in order to "experience" other certain things. Is the spirit perfect but at the same time incomplete? Who commands such decision?

To begin, it is your human persona which perceives and pigeon holes the physical plane as a ‘lower’ dimension. There are actually many, many physical dimensions which coexist, yet which at times most, are never aware of each other. One is not ‘lower’ than another. That is a judgement you have placed upon its understanding in order for you to relate to it more conveniently. It is more accurate to say, they are simply different expressions of the same source, or, they are different potentials or canvases of creation. One potential is not ‘better’ or ‘higher’ than another, for all potentials come from, and lead to, the same One source. Just in the way you taste a variety of ingredients when preparing food; one ingredient is not ‘higher’ or ‘lower’ than another, they simply provide different flavours, different experiences. The physical dimension to which you relate is simply one of many flavours, one of many sources of experience, which present you with an expanded insight into what can be created from the ingredients of that which you know as God. So, in a sense, you are like a child playing in the kitchen of the cosmos, or the cradle of creation. If such is your human experience that leaves, how to say, a bad taste in your mouth, then your beautiful divine Self will simply pursue other ‘ingredients’ within the cosmos to cook up and create new experiences of its Self.
There is this ludicrous belief that an immortal spark of prime creator (your spirit) is subservient to a repetitious cycle of physical rebirths in order to perpetuate and earn its worth in the eyes of some unseen authority. Since the construct of the human vehicle allows very limited learning or advancement opportunity, it defies logic that any wise being would choose to continuously return to Earth to suffer further constraints. The fact that human instinctual behaviour is repetitious and they continue to make the same mistakes throughout history proves their insufficiency in terms of a ‘speedy ascension’, as it is often portrayed.

Your spirit is like a playful inquisitive child. Given the ingredients and toys of the physical state, its appeal and opportunity to live a fantasy existence as ‘a human’, it is not surprising so many choose to pursue them. How many can recall past memories where you were told as a child not to go into the spooky dark cellar or cave, yet despite the fears of such forewarnings you actually went ahead and explored it anyway?

b. We know what happens with our physical body when we pass, but what happens with our soul? I am still confused about spirit-soul.

The soul is the instrument through which your spirit undertakes its experiential journey. The soul is the changeable consciousness which inherits characteristics from the many experiences it has. Characteristics of personality, ability and destiny. It is the clothing your spirit wears for wherever, or whatever it is doing at any one time. This is inclusive of, but not exclusive to the physical dimensions.

Your spirit is your true Self, the original identity which represents the unique vibrational pattern and resonance that no other being ever created has. Although it is of God nature, that it is of God, an expression of God, it is also unique, original and separate in its will and destiny. It is pure and perfect always, and in all ways. The consciousness that forms its many personas do not, and cannot touch, taint or take away anything of your spirit. That is why there are no evil beings. Merely questionable deeds performed by the masks of consciousness.

When your physical human counterpart perishes, the cellular memory retained from the entire human journey is embodied within an etheric vehicle. This vehicle, or soul, will initially appear exactly like your human body because the cellular memory has retained its shape and characterisations. The personality as well, as the human being you were, is also stored in your cellular memory and thus transferred, by your soul, into the spirit world to return to your natural origin. Your soul then, which is a bundle of your thoughts, feelings and memories, is interchangeable and subject to different environments of experience. Depending on the nature of these thoughts, feelings and memories your experience of the spirit world will differ significantly. These characteristics remain predominant within the journey of the afterlife, and will often cloud other characteristics and memories associated with your ancient spirit identity. This is to say, you will not necessarily remember who you truly are straight away after your passing. It may take some time to let go of this consciousness coat, in order that you accept other possibilities of who you truly are, in order that you can access and enter other states, realms and realities.

c. I understood that if you act here in the sense of causing pain to other beings there are no other punishment when you pass that your own re-analysis and regret about that. In addition. that it is the essential step to go to higher energy dimensions. I also understood that in that case, the spirit could feel the need to complete some pending issues here in a successive physical life, but not as a karmic duty. My question is whether before incarnating agian you self-impose a kind of "mandate" to close such unfinished businesses and how.

Now then, those loving beings who actually committed such deeds of disgrace would have done so purely because of the harsh conditions associated with physical state. It is important for people to understand that human beings do not act is such despicable ways because of spirit nature, but purely because of the nature of the environment which influences their behaviour. When such individuals return to the ether world, their true beautiful pure Self begins to be re-membered, and they feel remorse and regret for their deeds upon other physical beings. In order for these beings to fully re-associate themselves with their divine identity, they will feel compelled to resolve these feelings of remorse and regret by forging a loving bond between them and their subject of injustice. This is usually done by acts of selfless service to the soul group or family to which the other belongs. It lies within one’s wisdom to understand, very little indeed will be gained by returning to such difficult human conditions since they will simply make the same mistakes again and again, creating more remorse and regret. This is true because of the repetitious instinctual nature of human animals and the poor environment they currently exist in. I have spoken before about the effects of environment on human actions.
Suffice to say, such ill-deeds are best resolved in earnest through the clear mind, intent and ability of one’s own spirit, in the spirit world, and not through some tainted persona on Earth which caused such problems to begin with. So then, such resolutions are facilitated within the spirit world, where one is more open to receive love and forgiveness, as well as open to give it.
Those miniscule few who do return to the Earth do so, not for some karmic journey of recompense, but because they wish to create something that was not fulfilled previously.

d. When you describe the spirit realm, you use many beautiful "human" representations about what you perceive, and what you do there. As I forgot almost all about the way I felt and what I experienced when I came to this life, I have difficulties to connect the spirit realm with such "extremely improved" human experiences. In other words, it costs me to make analogies of there with the life here. How could I, at least, grasp anything of what truly happens there? Where should I apply my intention to know/ feel more?

Through your imagination. Imagination connects you to cellular memory and consciousness memory, as well as divine memory. You experience these memories as creative moments and impulses, daydreams and romanticized fantasies. Suffice to say, if you can imagine doing it in the spirit world, then to some degree it is possible. Whatever is your greatest and grandest vision, feeling and fantasy of the spirit world, multiply and expand that by 100, and you will begin to understand what is possible.

Your friend.
-Sparrow

Old 29-04-2012, 02:53 AM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Guide Sparrow

Dear Tiss,

I am delightfully uplifted to be able to impart flavour to your life through the fruits of my words. I endeavour with every attentive word to provide seed for new thought and contemplation, through which to grow roots to your own heart wisdom. Through your deeds of the days that reflect such wisdom spring the branches of opportunity and joyous abundance. May you savour in the zest of life. May your heart feed your soul, and your soul feed the world.

Dear Sparrow,

Thanks for your detailed response. Yes, it is true that your words impart a very sweet flavour to my present life. They are very juicy fruits of knowledge and friendship. Besides, I feel very happy to know that this exchange is also good for you.

I have more to ask you... it is about the miracle of human love and its spiritual meaning, and it has to do with your previous response...

a. In terms of what you wrote in the previous post, I want to understand why have I been blessed with such unconditional and constructive love for so many years? Why did we live such powerful and indescribable attraction in all planes: physical (I mean more than sex, something about sight, skin touch, temperature, voice), intellectual, and spiritual? Why did I feel at home and in peace when I was in his arms? Why did I feel trust only with him? Why did I receive so many moving proofs of his love until his last moments? It was like my persona and his persona were made one for each other... does it mean that our spirits are one for each other? does it mean that we are from the same soul group? why did we find each other here? BTW, I was said that we lived several lives together... it was said by a person who obviously believes in reincarnation.

b. Here is a beautiful description of an spiritual encounter you made time ago:

Quote:

The energy that ignites the desire for sex with another human being is still experienced in the afterlife, but in a different way. It is not felt as a desire to perform animal-like practices, but is felt as a desire to be of service to someone else. To give something of yourself to that other. This can be in the form of all sorts of deeds and creative phenomenon, not even imagined on Earth. One of the most beautiful is a type of merging experience shared by two beings. They will come together to create a unified moulding of the energy between both beings, sharing with one another every intimate sensation, thought and feeling they have within their deepest core. Like two flames from two candles merging together as one. In that moment the two temporarily become as one. This is unlike anything experienced in human form.
The question is: Will I likely live such wonderful experience when I return to the spirit realm? I accept everything to come here just to live it, and I will go very well prepared!

c. I still miss him so much... and at the same time, he is ever-present...in many ways I feel that each of my tears [many] serves, not to pay any karmic debt, but to help me grow up in my spiritual life... could it be possible or am I wrong?

d. Since we are connected here, and we get on well, despite you kicked my back a couple of times at the very beginning, is it likely that my soul group is a friendly group to the Asceleottyi?

Never-ending thanks for your time devoted to respond my questions!

Your friend,

TISS
Old 29-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Master
Tiss.

I am happy that my words continue to be well received, and are subject of reflection within your own heart wisdom for further confirmation. I am forever aware that much to be said contradicts many schools of thought within religion and ‘new-age’ philosophy, but I am confident you will discern the shortcomings within all information by learning to connect the dots together. All information, if accurate and of the clearest truth, will always compliment and support other understandings of every aspect of life. You should experience moments of ‘a-ha’ (eureka) when the pieces begin to connect and the bigger picture empowers you with broader perspective. If someone tells you that something is the ultimate truth, they should be able to explain to you why this is so and how it connects to all other aspects of life, for all things come together within their ultimate understanding. This ultimate truth should also resonate joy and upliftment within you if it is accurate, and never should it disempower you or cause you fear.

a. In terms of what you wrote in the previous post, I want to understand why have I been blessed with such unconditional and constructive love for so many years? Why did we live such powerful and indescribable attraction in all planes: physical (I mean more than sex, something about sight, skin touch, temperature, voice), intellectual, and spiritual? Why did I feel at home and in peace when I was in his arms? Why did I feel trust only with him? Why did I receive so many moving proofs of his love until his last moments? It was like my persona and his persona were made one for each other... does it mean that our spirits are one for each other? does it mean that we are from the same soul group? why did we find each other here? BTW, I was said that we lived several lives together... it was said by a person who obviously believes in reincarnation.

In one sense, within one perspective, understand that it was the environment in which you both lived that brought you together. In the sense that, the hardships and challenges of life, of which neither of you were really prepared for, created the circumstances for you to both attract to one another. You were both seeking a vehicle, or canvas through which to explore and express your true feelings about yourself. Certain actions brought about from genuine intentions, which were true to your hearts created synchronicities which allowed the two of you to eventually cross paths. Because of the nature of the environments through which you both met and interacted, this allowed each other to compliment each others life journey, particularly I have to say, in terms of discovering your core values as a being. What tends to happen, with beings who resonate very closely with one another, is that their core values are profoundly realized and this gives them a developed sense of purpose, of self-worth and of self-direction. This is what is described when a special other ‘makes me feel good’.
This is then to say the presence of this other has created the conditions of self-love and genuine expression for you to realize your core values and sense of identity. So too have you done so for them. Though such relationship was brought about through the vehicle of certain synchronistic conditions, it is not a relationship founded on conditions, but on the foundation of shared values and the journey that is created and shared in their mutual exploration and expression. It is thus true to say, each of you complete one another.

Two beings who are true to themselves and their hearts do not have to be from the same soul group to fall in love. They simply have to resonate their core values that shine from their beautiful source spirit for the other to be bewitched and captivated in a symphony of seduction and romance.
Bless not only then this special other that creates realizations in your life, but bless too the conditions of the human journey which made this all possible, despite its many hardships, challenges and sufferings. You wish to know why so many would choose to endure such painful realities as the physical universe, and it is because it creates certain conditions which bring souls together, to illuminate their deepest inherent values, through the most profound and romanticised journeys.
Should it be that this special other must depart their created role within this journey, through the same harsh conditions of reality that brought you together to begin with, then it is not for you to curse life for this transient gift of realization, but for you to continue your journey using these inherent values you have been led to discover within yourself.

Will I likely live such wonderful experience when I return to the spirit realm? I accept everything to come here just to live it, and I will go very well prepared!

You will experience what you choose to experience. You will be blessed with all that you are open to receive. Prepare yourself to receive, as well as to be in service to give, while you walk the Earth. When it is your time to walk within the mansions of the heavens you will have greater access to joys you have never even yet imaged. Where once you would witness the setting of the sun in embrace of arms of the one you love, now instead shall you witness the beauty of the birth of planets before your very eyes. Where once you walked hand in hand upon yellow sands across the sun bathed shore, now will you walk soul to soul within the sea of stars and swim in the sounds of the cosmos. Where once you submerged skin to skin under the shower of soothing water, now can you submerge your very souls under the shower of the true radiance of your sublime spirits.

c. I still miss him so much... and at the same time, he is ever-present...in many ways I feel that each of my tears [many] serves, not to pay any karmic debt, but to help me grow up in my spiritual life... could it be possible or am I wrong?

If such tears help to illuminate your core values and sense of empathy for other beings within their life journey, then certainly you have matured. If however, your tears are shed consistently with sorrow and from a sense of loss, then this illuminates certain attachments which bind you to the past. Healing must take place and precedence in the present. If such tears fall in reflection of something beautiful you hold within your thought, or your heart, then these are tears of genuine joy and gratitude for their part in your life. These memories impart realizations of value within you which beautify experientially emotional wisdom. Emotional wisdom is your inherent ability as a being to relate and connect with other aspects of the universe, aspects of experience, and aspects of your Self through means beyond the physical. It is a form of language which allows you to connect and communicate with other states of being, and other beings of other states. So in a sense, getting in touch with your feelings, rather than alienating them, is indeed a bridge to greater consciousness maturity, as well as sensitivity to other forms of inherent energy and language in the universe.

d. Since we are connected here, and we get on well, despite you kicked my back a couple of times at the very beginning, is it likely that my soul group is a friendly group to the Asceleottyi?

It means I, as the energy of Asceleottyi, have good rapport with and facilitate a sense of camaraderie with others, such as yourself. Generally speaking, all soul groups endeavour to find rapport between them, and in fact one of the reason you have come to the physical plane is so that you may have close encounters with beings representing other families and vibrations. The experiences you share in physical state form bridges of opportunity and potential for your corresponding soul groups in the spirit world. I understand there to be a fluctuating figure of 2 billion soul groups represented on Earth at this time, so you can imagine the potentials for development in terms of spiritual relations.

I finish with words of thanks for your friendship and fruitful line of questioning.
-Sparrow

Old 30-04-2012, 02:41 AM
Guide

Dear Tiss and Sparrow,

I loved these words from you both. I can't wait to "walk soul to soul within the sea of stars and swim in the sounds of the cosmos," and so many other wonderful things our imaginations will manifest when we are there. In addition to my newly (re)found soul group, I would like to reunite with old friends, family, loves and love interests from this lifetime. We from these threads and forums can all have a little reunion when our souls get there!

Wishing you all love, peace, and happiness!
Justin

Quote:
Tiss.

I am happy that my words continue to be well received, and are subject of reflection within your own heart wisdom for further confirmation.

::TRUNCATED::

Will I likely live such wonderful experience when I return to the spirit realm? I accept everything to come here just to live it, and I will go very well prepared!

You will experience what you choose to experience. You will be blessed with all that you are open to receive. Prepare yourself to receive, as well as to be in service to give, while you walk the Earth. When it is your time to walk within the mansions of the heavens you will have greater access to joys you have never even yet imaged. Where once you would witness the setting of the sun in embrace of arms of the one you love, now instead shall you witness the beauty of the birth of planets before your very eyes. Where once you walked hand in hand upon yellow sands across the sun bathed shore, now will you walk soul to soul within the sea of stars and swim in the sounds of the cosmos. Where once you submerged skin to skin under the shower of soothing water, now can you submerge your very souls under the shower of the true radiance of your sublime spirits.

::TRUNCATED::

I finish with words of thanks for your friendship and fruitful line of questioning.
-Sparrow
Old 30-04-2012, 03:38 AM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
Dear Tiss and Sparrow,

I loved these words from you both. I can't wait to "walk soul to soul within the sea of stars and swim in the sounds of the cosmos," and so many other wonderful things our imaginations will manifest when we are there. In addition to my newly (re)found soul group, I would like to reunite with old friends, family, loves and love interests from this lifetime. We from these threads and forums can all have a little reunion when our souls get there!

Wishing you all love, peace, and happiness!
Justin

Much blessings to you dear Justin and to your pure soul,

I was just thinking of that today, a joyful reunion there!

Count on me!
TISS
Old 30-04-2012, 03:40 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiss
Much blessings to you dear Justin and to your pure soul,

I was just thinking of that today, a joyful reunion there!

Count on me!
TISS

::Hug:: back to you!
Old 30-04-2012, 04:25 AM
Guide

Dear Sparrow,

Within the Spirit World, what is the difference between what can be experienced as one's pure spirit (or being closer to being one's spirit) compared to what can be experienced as a soul or souls?

Happy to feel the creative juices flowing to facilitate further questioning,
Justin
Old 30-04-2012, 06:54 AM
Master
Spirit Guide Sparrow,

Why is it that of all the things that Ive read over my lifetime, you're words make my heart soar, your words make my skin tingle and goosebump...you're words kindle something in me, that resonates with something?......is it home?.....I dont know, but i do feel in my heart of hearts your words are true.....am I taking your words in because what you say is what I truly desire? or because I know their truth? (your words are like a letter of love to me)..do we 'know' each other?......
Old 30-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Time

Hello SGS, hopefully you can answer my long withstanding questions:

1 - Since the only "legitamate" proof of an afterlife, is reported by people who had a NEAR death experience, how is NEAR DEATH proof of an after life?

2 - The only thing we know for certain about our death (and the death of everything in existance), is that it decomposes, and gets reused and remade (liek the allocation of energy study in Ecology). How do we know for sure, that there is an afterlife?

3 - The concept of hell, or similar situations werent really around until christianity became larger. If it always existed, then why didnt people, all over the world know of its name, and concepts?

4 - There are studies showing that the " light at the end of a tunnel" , seeing dead family friends and living through old situations, is a mental construct due to the nerve endings in your brian dying, due to lack of ocygen, stress, and what not. Can you give me a reason as to why I should totaly disregard information like this?

5 - Who says your veiw of the afterlife is the right one? There have been thousands of people who have tried to answer this question, and all get different results. All civs generally have a diferent interpretation of death, then one even a few thousand miles away. What can you say, show to me, or tell me that will make me think other wise about my own beliefs?

6 - IF we are all on one planet, and infinatly connected in some way, small or large, then why would humans have a world apart? We are from the same earth as them, made up of the same stuff, and in many ways, they are much less harmful to this planet then we are? What makes humans so special, if we cause more harm on this planet, then we do good?

7 - Where does this "after life" exist? Is it on a different plane of concsiousness, or in space somewhere? Maybe its right infront of us, and invisible?

8 - What is your feelings, on the thoughts that we may just make up the concept of an afterlife, to make the uncertain more barable?