Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 25-08-2014, 03:52 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMyself
If you don't mind my asking, are you of Asian descent, and/or is Shinto your religion of origin? I'm curious, because from what I know of Shinto, it seems like it could be difficult to be a convert to Shinto without already being immersed in Japanese culture specifically, perhaps more difficult than, say, a Pagan who follows the Greek/Celtic/whatever pantheon.

Personally, I view it(Christian-Buddhist intermixing) as similar to Santeria or Voodoo - an amalgamation of Christian and African indigenous religion.

Regarding Buddhism being identified with "no God". This is a matter of percerption, you know. And, involving the nature of God.

"Tathagata-garbha (how do you pronounce that?) is IMO the very same concept as "Christ Consciousness" or "unio mystica" - the concept of consciousness that everything is interconnected and we all are part of Godhead.
That is a concept often encountered in the NDEs."
(Azure - NDERF Forum)

Quote:
"Gautama Buddha speaks of the Supramundane (Lokuttra, Lokottra) or Unconditioned (Asankhata, Asamskrta). He refers to God as being the known, but unknowable, and that even an attempt to label the name God is insufficient to define the Absolute."
- "Buddha and God"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is, O monks, an Unborn, Unoriginated, Uncreated, Unformed. Were there not, O monks, this Unborn, Unoriginated, Uncreated, Unformed, there would be no escape from the world of the born, originated, created, formed." - Buddha

From - Udana passage of the Kuddaka Nikaya:30

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 31-08-2014, 06:33 PM
SkywalkerStoryteller

I have been practicing Vajrayana Buddhism for 20 years. But, it had taken me over 20 years of reading and study before I took refuge with my teacher. So, first thing is just be patient. Second, use your difficult situations as practice. It really helps to read though - and look for books that are easy to read. I found the Dali Lama's books initially very difficult. And the first Zen book I read made me say this is too hard for me. One good source is FPMT - they have many articles you can read on line and they are very easy to understand. Finally, there are two Buddhist practices you can easily do. One is to offer up your suffering for the benefit of all sentient beings. Instead of reacting in anger or self-protection, look at what is happening, say, why am I getting angry? Why am I hurt? I offer up these emotions for those who are angrier, who are hurting more than me. Another practice is to take in the suffering and anger of others and send them light, and grace, and blessings for peace. I'm new, so hope this helped a little.
Old 31-08-2014, 06:37 PM
SkywalkerStoryteller

Oh, yes, when I took refuge with my teacher, as a Buddhist he said, I was entering a religion that is not a religion, it is a way of life. A daily practice in developing compassion, patience, and the recognition that there is no separation. Through my daily practice, (and it took several years) I began to see that it was my anger that accelerated the often violent arguments I had with my husband. I recognized that he was my practice. And through this I learned to recognize my anger and to control it. As for God, the basic Buddhist position is, it is too deep a subject to be even discussed. Our goal is to attain enlightenment for the benefit of others.