Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 14-02-2020, 01:03 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Key Points

The real self (atman) is distinct from the temporary body.
Material designations do not apply to this eternal soul.

Atman is not the body.
Atman is not material.
Hence there is no physical Atman

The atman is spirit (brahman) – unchanging, eternal and conscious.

Atman is spirit, unchanging, eternal, soul. Conscious in this context is unmanifested. Formless. It's all the same, all One. Self = Atman = Brahman = Awareness = Infinitie = Vast = Absolute

Consciousness, as spread throughout the body, is a symptom of the soul.

In this context consciousness is a mere reflection of the above consciousness of Soul. A symptom, manifestation. Manifested consciousness. Another way to phrase it is witness Consciousness vs. reflected consciousness.

You are stuck on (in) the physical universe, objective reality, mind, thinking, ego, positive, negative, LoA, etc.... This is all maya. Duality. Look for the escape hatch.
I know Atman is not the body, like I said Atman is consciousness.
It all depends on how a person interpretates what you put in red. What you put in read does not explicitly state that Atman is not or could not be a part of the physical body, it just states that Atman is conscious and is not something physical, meaning the consciousness that comes out of your eyes is not a physical thing. Yes Atman/consciousness is a manifestation of Brahman that is inside the physical body. I say inside the physical body because consciousness comes out of my eyes, and I can not see consciousness anywhere outside of myself around me. And I do not believe or have faith in anything blindly. Yes, consciousness could be all around us, but, what is the purpose of having the consciousness shine out of our eyes then? If consciousness was all around us, there will be no need to have consciousness shine out of our eyes because the purpose of the consciousness that shines out of our eyes is for us to be conscious/aware of the physical universe.

Edit: the only reason I can think of for consciousness being all around us, outside of us, is for oneness/Brahman to be conscious of everything at the same time, including what all of our individual consciousnesses combined together, are not conscious of.
Old 14-02-2020, 01:23 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS80
I know Atman is not the body, like I said Atman is consciousness.
It all depends on how a person interpretates what you put in red. What you put in read does not explicitly state that Atman is not or could not be a part of the physical body, it just states that Atman is conscious and is not something physical, meaning the consciousness that comes out of your eyes is not a physical thing. Yes Atman/consciousness is a manifestation of Brahman that is inside the physical body. I say inside the physical body because consciousness comes out of my eyes, and I can not see consciousness anywhere around me. And I do not believe or have faith in anything blindly. Yes, consciousness could be all around us, but, what is the purpose of having the consciousness shine out of our eyes then? If consciousness was all around us, there will be no need to have consciousness shine out of our eyes because the purpose of the consciousness that shines out of our eyes is for us to be conscious/aware of the physical universe.

Consciousness does not shine out of our eyes.

Light comes into the eyes and is focused on the retina where photons are 'absorbed' by rods and cones. This in turn starts a chain of electro-chemical activity starting at the optic nerve and traveling across synapses all the way to the vision center at the back of the brain where the signals are processed. How that creates a conscious experience is one of the biggest mysteries in science. David Chalmers, a philosopher of mind, coined the phrase "The Hard Problem" of consciousness. Conscious experience/qualia simply cannot be accounted for or explained by neuroscience or psychology.

Besides vision is but one vector for conscious experience. Sound, smell, taste, tactile, proprioception and interoception are others vectors.

This can be said to be one meaning of "creating our own reality" because we don't directly see, hear, smell, taste anything. It's all sensory input and signal processing inside the brain where a reasonable facsimile of the external world is reproduced. In actuality there's no way to gauge just how accurate that reproduction is, or if the reproduction within your brain is the same as that within my brain.

You should poke around the consciousness playlist on my YouTube channel. It contains some interesting videos. Here's two great ones.

https://youtu.be/YpUVot-4GPM?list=PL...XfywQvhBzzdrQA
https://youtu.be/-d4ugppcRUE?list=PL...XfywQvhBzzdrQA
Old 14-02-2020, 01:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Consciousness does not shine out of our eyes.

Light comes into the eyes and is focused on the retina where photons are 'absorbed' by rods and cones. This in turn starts a chain of electro-chemical activity starting at the optic nerve and traveling across synapses all the way to the vision center at the back of the brain where the signals are processed. How that creates a conscious experience is one of the biggest mysteries in science. David Chalmers, a philosopher of mind, coined the phrase "The Hard Problem" of consciousness. Conscious experience/qualia simply cannot be accounted for or explained by neuroscience or psychology.

Besides vision is but one vector for conscious experience. Sound, smell, taste, tactile, proprioception and interoception are others vectors.

This can be said to be one meaning of "creating our own reality" because we don't directly see, hear, smell, taste anything. It's all sensory input and signal processing inside the brain where a reasonable facsimile of the external world is reproduced. In actuality there's no way to gauge just how accurate that reproduction is, or if the reproduction within your brain is the same as that within my brain.

You should poke around in the consciousness playlist on my YouTube channel. It contains some interesting videos. Here's two great ones.

https://youtu.be/YpUVot-4GPM?list=PL...XfywQvhBzzdrQA
https://youtu.be/-d4ugppcRUE?list=PL...XfywQvhBzzdrQA
That does not mean Consciousness does not shine out of our eyes. Are you conscious of the light that comes into your eyes and is focused on the retina where photons are 'absorbed' by rods and cones and the rest of the process? Believing things blindly, even science, and not asking questions, will keep you from knowing the truth.
Old 14-02-2020, 01:46 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
That does not mean Consciousness does not shine out of our eyes. Are you conscious of the light that comes into your eyes and is focused on the retina where photons are 'absorbed' by rods and cones and the rest of the process? Believing things blindly, even science, and not asking questions, will keep you from knowing the truth.

Does consciousness come forth from your nose in search of smell? From your ears in search of sound? From your fingertips and every other square millimeter of your skin in search of tactile contact? From your tongue in search of taste?

Why just the eyes? Why just vision? In the case of skin and taste why does consciousness have to wait for contact with skin and taste buds but for eyes it can leave the body and same for smell and hearing?

And no, I'm not conscious of what's going on inside my eyes, nor down the neural pathways. I'm only conscious of the finished product constructed within the brain.

Methinks you need to reassess your hypothesis on consciousness, and when you have it solved let neuroscience and psychology know because they haven't the slightest clue.
Old 14-02-2020, 01:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Does consciousness come forth from your nose in search of smell? From your ears in search of sound? From your fingertips and every other square millimeter of your skin in search of tactile contact? From your tongue in search of taste?

Why just the eyes? Why just vision? In the case of skin and taste why does consciousness have to wait for contact with skin and taste buds but for eyes it can leave the body and same for smell and hearing?

And no, I'm not conscious of what's going on inside my eyes, nor down the neural pathways. I'm only conscious of the finished product constructed within the brain.

Methinks you need to reassess your hypothesis on consciousness, and when you have it solved let neuroscience and psychology know because they haven't the slightest clue.
Hearing, smelling, taste and physical sensations are ego and body related thus there is no reason to bring them up in a discussion about consciousness because consciousness has nothing to do with them what so ever. This is the type of b-s that sets off my hypocrite detector

Edit : Except of course, consciousness being conscious of them.
Old 14-02-2020, 02:10 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Hearing, smelling, taste and physical sensations are ego and body related thus there is no reason to bring them up in a discussion about consciousness because consciousness has nothing to do with them what so ever.

So you're not conscious of sound, smell, taste and touch?

I like to think I have a lot of patience but this is a reply too far. Good luck.
Old 14-02-2020, 02:13 AM
Master
Quote:
So you're not conscious of sound, smell, taste and touch?

I like to think I have a lot of patience but this is a reply too far. Good luck.
I edited my post to add except to be conscious of them, which you conveniently left out of your response to me. It is about time you left you b-s hypocrite.
Old 14-02-2020, 06:59 AM
Deactivated Account

Okay, let's forget about all the debate. Let's look now at what we can do to align ourselves with Godliness. I'm afraid vagueries won't do it; we need a more detailed approach to approaching, aligning and becoming Godliness in this day & age.
Old 14-02-2020, 08:20 AM
Master
Quote:
I suppose there are different states and/or levels of enlightenment, some very transient, some more enduring and the rare cases where it's total and complete.

Even for the transient variety there's a residual reverberation and it might increase and decrease in intensity at times, and beyond that the intellectual realization simply cannot be unrealized, even if the experiential aspect totally vanishes, never to return.

Why a fully realized One might be more public and engaging in various venues I cannot say. Why a fully realized One would isolate I also cannot say, however I would think engaging in life seems to me the better choice.

EDIT: By the way, the body-mind still exists and short of complete enlightenment I suppose it's possible if not likely to have small lapses in Awareness. Jesus had one with the money changers. LOL!

In regards to 'complete' enlightenment and 'oneness' it's all subjective anyway isn't it?.. and the ironic and funny thing is that because we are individual and unique within sameness each peep can potentially have a different point of view on what 'oneness' is or what 'enlightenment' is.

If there is only 'one' and the point of perception reflects 'one' then there would be no differences had or reflected upon.

You would in this state of awareness not see a bird you would see 'one' .

There would be no difference within identity and it clearly is the case that pees do identify differently in many instances .

Sure Jesus had his human traits like everyone does, the Zen master who reach for the zen stick does the list is endless ..

We need to get things straight here in regards to what Oneness is and what Oneness constitutes while perceiving this world .

How I see it is that there is only what you are .. You can call that what you like but bearing that in mind it doesn't negate individuality nor does it refer to individuality as illusory.

If someone really believed that this world and everyone in it was maya based then one would not engage life and peeps as if it was .

If one does, one lives a lie and one as said before in another thread, one would not marry their partner if their partner was not real or was actually 'you' or didn't exist ete etc

This is key here and this is why I have picked up on other teachers who say they are not attached or have no ego or don't have a self identity or are dream characters because they don't behave like it .

It is rather do as I say not as I do lol .

The whole enlightened and the God realized scenarios / premises are wholly inflated at times and therefore in my eyes are misunderstood based upon a myth of how it is or supposed to be .

Jesus I dare say taught the masses based upon the perception that all were god's children . In this respect there is 'oneness' as in we are all fundamentally the same, but would an enlightened Jesus whom was God realized bother to teach other's if other's were only illusory appearances of peeps and dream like lol .

This is the thing supposedly about enlightenment and God realization is that you see through maya and duality and yet one continues in the same vein regardless ..

x daz x
Old 14-02-2020, 08:31 AM
Master
Quote:
The people who misinterpret the teachings of oneness and of non-duality to nullify the positivity and the goodness of the oneness being conscious of itself and of oneness being and becoming defeats the whole and entire purpose and intent of all those teachings. Msinterpret those teachings, is taking those teachings and the knowledge they contain, completely out of context.

But what is oneness and non duality if not conceptually made sense of?

It becomes subjective when one reflects upon how oneness is or how it applies to self .

Now if self is illusory and everything is maya based so to speak then what aspect of what you are is beyond maya?

The intellect is not separate from the mind, the mind is not separate from the brain the brain is not separate from the body the body is not separate from the soul or the spirit because it's all one ..

What seems to be the case is that peeps point to maya and forget that maya is not separate from that which is pointing .

It's like suggesting that there is a real fish in an unreal pond .

This is why I say that Oneness and non duality is misunderstood and when peeps believe what certain teachers say about it confusion reigns .

x daz x