Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Paranormal & Supernatural > Electronic Communication

Old 23-11-2010, 03:04 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scibat
My statement holds true of spirituality -- At least in my opinion. Television only causes the harm that the individual allows it to, be that emotional, mental or spiritual. I think its been stated almost as long as TV existed that "Too much television rots your brain." I would imagine the same can be said of one's spirit as well, "Too much television rots your soul."

I haven't been able to help but notice life is a lot more complex than that.

I understand your viewpoint, though.

Old 23-11-2010, 05:09 AM
Scibat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
I haven't been able to help but notice life is a lot more complex than that.

I understand your viewpoint, though.

At least to me, it isn't that complex. I don't let what I see on the television influence or control me -- I make a conscious effort not to watch it to the point that I need it -- Thus I choose not to let it cause me harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra-violet
yes, yes and yes.

I still maintain there are no mind control waves or subliminal messages coming through the TV -- Having studied and taken apart electronics (including TVs) I know the former is impossible and the second is highly unlikely.
Old 23-11-2010, 05:33 AM
Master
Quote:
I still maintain there are no mind control waves or subliminal messages coming through the TV -- Having studied and taken apart electronics (including TVs) I know the former is impossible and the second is highly unlikely.

That's ok, even if there were no mind control 'waves' or subliminal messages (which I think was proven that they exist looooong ago), there is still the simple matter of simple human psychology that is used to manipulate people.

You have to be living in a cave to think no manipulation is being done.

Old 23-11-2010, 06:08 AM
Master
Silver good answer I do beleive thoroughly manipulation is being done with TV, I mean how can ads not be manipulative for one thing?
There's a great example. And how do we know messages aren't being very quickly flickered while watching a show to brain was us?
Spiritlite.
Old 23-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritlite
U know when I didn't have tv for a few years because I was in that stage of "tv is manipulative" I think I was emotionally healthier than I ever had been and more than I am now. In the sense that my self esteem was very high (I didn't have to watch ads about how skinny women were, about how if I didn't have that new cell phone I was a looser etc). I would love to not watch tv and not even have a tv in the home but because Dan loves his tv I'm really out of options. Although I don't watch tv while he's at work, and usually I read for a few hours while he watches tv, and when I do watch tv I try to watch uplifting shows such as highway to heaven or little house on the prairie I know kinda lame but those shows make you feel good not icky.
Spiritlite.

I wrote this thing about TV so please enjoy.

LIAR, LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE!

There’s an idiot in the corner incanting meaningless drivel and inanely yelling moronic slogans with incessant repetition. With its glaring eye, the maniac hypnotizes all who meet its gaze and with open mouths they absorb its sublime message and succumb to its suggestion.

It never moves, but when prompted, springs to life and draws them to its eerie glow, all the while insanely ranting to drown out other sound.

They love their blabbering fool. It lights up and rambles endlessly, but when they’ve had enough it shuts up, so they love it, and are comforted by the light idiocy that distracts them from their dreary lives.

The barmy git is raised on a pedestal, and they arrange their chairs around it in anticipation of daily ritual.

It illuminates the room with truth and enlightens them, so they know what to eat and how to act. The affairs of the world are reiterated tirelessly, and they are assured of their righteousness.

With its next breath it exhales dumb ditties about sexy pizza and healthy milkshakes, before returning to solemnly imparting another world shattering veracity.

On and on and on. Over and over and over again. They know the stupid thing is ever recurring, but entranced cannot resist its lure, and under its subtle spell they gape blankly, while being reminded to fulfill its daily instruction.

They are secure and well informed. The imbecile warns them of impending peril and reassuringly allays how heroically they are defended from imposing terror. They feel scared, but protected.

What would they do without it?

Somewhere, crazed men control this dinky widget, but it’s far too daft to realize its enslavement, and with the pure innocence of the profoundly demented it faithfully recants anything they say, having complete trust.

It lies.

The populace is bewildered by the box’s benign presence and manipulated into enhancing vile powers as they are subliminally tempted into the service of evil.

Massacre, murder, bombs and burning babies.

The wound up refrains of hyperactivity, horror, and the perpetual chanting of satanic indulgence engrave lifelong foreboding, rampant consumerism and greed into people’s minds as they are reduced by fear into senseless self servitude.

Bemused and harried into frenetic bustling they unwittingly enable the malevolent malice of their elitist leaders.

The contrivance! It lies at the bidding of those most foul. Lies! Lies! Unspeakable lies!

War. Oily, greasy, bloody rotten lies!

Strong men rained fire upon the quivering and weak, and the helpless souls burned in hell, shrieking with the eternal agony of pitiful regret.

Crusaders pillaged and raped mother Earth. They burnt her blood to fuel their monstrous phantasms, and her vital organs as offerings to the forthcoming Lucifer.

The Earth choked on the gaseous effluent, and in death’s throws unleashed its wildest tempests, spewing back poison, raining acid and rancid canker upon the world.

Calamity becomes them as they watch it (again).

The whole bleep world watches it!

There’s a square eyed bleep in every home who’s totally bleep in the head as his view of the world is formed by the bilious blathering of the idiot box.
Old 23-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Scibat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
That's ok, even if there were no mind control 'waves' or subliminal messages (which I think was proven that they exist looooong ago), there is still the simple matter of simple human psychology that is used to manipulate people.

You have to be living in a cave to think no manipulation is being done.

No argument on the psychology front, everytime you see a TV commercial its a psychological attempt to manipulate you into buying their service or products. The media is the same way, trying to steer public opunion about this or that a certain way.

But once aware of manipulation, it only really succeeds if you let it.

However on the waves and subliminal messages, if they were out there and being used on the populace, there are enough conspiracy theorists, and people who look for such things I am pretty sure it would have been discovered by now.

I hope I haven't offended anyone here BTW -- I am getting this sort of adversarial vibe from some of the replies here.
Old 23-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Master
More good points Scibat.

The main channels I watch are National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, BBC, Discovery Channel, and Discovery World.
Pretty good programmes here and there. Their commercials are usually about their own programmes, so hardly damaging.

If we watch popular commercial channels, soap series, real life series, political debates, and stuff like that... sure I think it may have negative effect on us. But still, we are ultimately responsible for what we watch.

We can only judge the programmes, not the television as a whole.
Old 23-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Scibat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
More good points Scibat.

The main channels I watch are National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, BBC, Discovery Channel, and Discovery World.
Pretty good programmes here and there. Their commercials are usually about their own programmes, so hardly damaging.

If we watch popular commercial channels, soap series, real life series, political debates, and stuff like that... sure I think it may have negative effect on us. But still, we are ultimately responsible for what we watch.

We can only judge the programmes, not the television as a whole.

Yep! I agree 100% and I watch mostly the same stuff -- Add Science channel, History Channel and recently AMC to that list for me.
Old 23-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Master
Yeah I try to watch positive shows like I said earlier ones that make me happy or allow me to learn.
Spiritlite.
I avoid the news like the plague, if I feel icky after a show I usually say okay never again.
Old 23-11-2010, 10:19 PM
LightFilledHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritlite
I avoid the news like the plague, if I feel icky after a show I usually say okay never again.

Very wise practice...!