Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 20-05-2020, 08:46 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
Is there are reason you can't work for God as Witness? I'm an atheist who does God's work and one of the local vicars calls me his "Christian atheist." And if there is no separation between you and God, what then?

Interesting you put it that way because I've basically combined both techniques into one practice. In effect it's circular.

Work as Witness is, for all intents and purpose, resting in awareness, much like do-nothing meditation. The doer of work is simply another form in that field of awareness. And since that's the Atman and Atman is Brahman, Work for God is approaching everything as God, for God and in service of God so that completes the circle, so to speak.

Another way to think of it is the One manifests into the many and experiences itself through the many. So the above approach honors that purpose.

The Work as Witness aspect also dovetails nicely with and reinforces my do-nothing meditation practice, much like informal mindfulness practices throughout the day reinforces a formal mindfulness meditation practice.
Old 24-05-2020, 10:33 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Interesting you put it that way because I've basically combined both techniques into one practice. In effect it's circular.

Work as Witness is, for all intents and purpose, resting in awareness, much like do-nothing meditation. The doer of work is simply another form in that field of awareness. And since that's the Atman and Atman is Brahman, Work for God is approaching everything as God, for God and in service of God so that completes the circle, so to speak.

Another way to think of it is the One manifests into the many and experiences itself through the many. So the above approach honors that purpose.

The Work as Witness aspect also dovetails nicely with and reinforces my do-nothing meditation practice, much like informal mindfulness practices throughout the day reinforces a formal mindfulness meditation practice.
"When we lose our minds, we come to our senses."
Alan Watts

If it's circular then doesn't that fit in with a frame of reference so where do you fit into that frame of reference? Is there a central point - you yourself - and everything else moves around you? Or are you looking at a frame of reference where you have a third-party perspective, you are outside of the circle?

Or does it all come back to you?

Or perhaps if you were not mindful but conscious of what you are conscious of?
Old 24-05-2020, 11:10 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
"When we lose our minds, we come to our senses."
Alan Watts

If it's circular then doesn't that fit in with a frame of reference so where do you fit into that frame of reference? Is there a central point - you yourself - and everything else moves around you? Or are you looking at a frame of reference where you have a third-party perspective, you are outside of the circle?

Or does it all come back to you?

Or perhaps if you were not mindful but conscious of what you are conscious of?

That's close, I think. It's my understanding (and experience) of the non-dual experience spoken of while practicing resting in awareness/choiceless awareness/do-nothing meditation, eventually ripening to a continuous state of being.

But I think it goes beyond that, to the "All within and within all" concept:

"Earth, moon, stars and sun revolve inside me" ~ Baba Muktananda

Last edited by JustASimpleGuy : 24-05-2020 at 07:33 PM.
Old 24-05-2020, 11:23 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
That's close, I think. It's my understanding (and experience) of the non-dual experience spoken of by practicing resting in awareness/choiceless awareness/do-nothing meditation, eventually ripening to a continuous state of being.

By the way, I do contemplate on the possibility of delusion and juxtapose that with experience. What I can say without a shadow of doubt is if it is a delusion it's a beautiful one. LOL!

Last edited by JustASimpleGuy : 24-05-2020 at 07:34 PM.
Old 25-05-2020, 08:30 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
That's close, I think. It's my understanding (and experience) of the non-dual experience spoken of while practicing resting in awareness/choiceless awareness/do-nothing meditation, eventually ripening to a continuous state of being.

Isn't your "ripening to a continuous state of being" contradictory? What were you saying about not thinking about bearing fruit?

There's a knowing that isn't often talked about in these here forums - Gnosis. It's most simple meaning is 'knowing without knowing how you know', and it goes beyond mind and seems to be on the same 'waveband' as consciousness itself. It falls into the "All within and within All", but 'concept' isn't the word I'd use because 'concept' is of the mind.

There's a saying that someone gave me many years ago - "If you want to understand Spirit you have to think like Spirit." Originally the school of thought that would become Christianity and the Gnostics were uneasy bed-partners until Constantine stuck his nose in. Basically, the Christians taught 'God without' while the Gnostics taught 'God within'. Jesus was taught by the Gnostics by an early age and that influenced him, because he taught that God was both within and without. Non-duality. Where does your "Work as Witness and Work for God" sit there?

Krishnamurti said “Eat meat or don’t eat meat, but just get on with it.”

Less mind, more Observer and just knowing without how you know. No more Observer, no more Observed but "All within and within All."

Quote:
By the way, I do contemplate on the possibility of delusion and juxtapose that with experience. What I can say without a shadow of doubt is if it is a delusion it's a beautiful one. LOL!
It being a delusion is the the delusion. When you know you know, you know. Y'know?