Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 14-03-2015, 12:02 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisa
i read a quote something like "humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less" i liked that.
Ah, I like that

I think it's true, people can (very often do, imo) confuse humility with self-flagellation, but humility's simply about seeing yourself as you actually are - strengths and weaknesses - and not judging yourself for being the way you are. It means neither trying to make excuses for yourself, nor, on the other hand, of thinking less of yourself.
Old 14-03-2015, 02:32 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisa
"humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less"

This is perfect.

It can be confusing to discuss these issues because context is so often lost. It has been noted that desire is bad and also that desire is necessary - what is difficult is that desire is necessary at first, but upon enlightenment is lost as an impediment. So, desire is both necessary and bad, depending on when you are talking about it.

All of the spiritual values and faults work similarly, in varying stages and contexts.
Old 14-03-2015, 02:34 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanb
This thread is for being honest about yourself.

Being honest and forward about our flaws is a great way to make it harder for us to be offended when somebody points them out to us, because that's usually the case. And it ultimately makes it easier for us to address these flaws.

I think forming a sense of humility is important for spiritual growth, so lets list our flaws :)

My flaws:

I'm Lazy, Sometimes unmotivated, Emotionally unstable, Sometimes Anxious, Dogmatic, Too philosophical, I have compulsive desires, Sometimes selfish, Unreliable, Introverted, Easily distracted, Lacking morals in certain areas, I'm not very social, I do occasionally get angry, I over think, I need to listen more, i have attachments, i can't take criticism, I get confused easily..

I'm very sure there are more so i will add more as the thread progresses.
I already feel great for letting all those out! i feel my ego dissolving away :)

Now it's your turn!

Hi Humanb,

Humility is not the same as humiliation!

Humility does not require a public confessional of one’s 'weaknesses', for that could also be seen as an inversion of prideful boasting about one’s ‘strengths’, assuming one could accurately make those assessments anyway. Both involve much ego presumption and therefore may not be so humble! At the same time, neither of those binaries which are simply the announcement of a theory, represent a true self-examination which requires a rigorous self-assessment as a precursor from which to base real action, in practical demonstration of actual behavior in interdependent action with others, not self-reflexive proclamations about oneself.
Humility is an essential dynamic of oneness in the apparently separative physical.

It is a functional recognition and active demonstration of the innate equality of Spirit in and through each and all life being.
~ J

Old 14-03-2015, 02:37 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotir
Humility is an essential dynamic of oneness in the apparently separative physical.

Very wise words Jyotir.
Old 14-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Master

For me, true humility is a sign of recognition of the Divine. This is only made possible by suppression of the ego.
Old 14-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Master

Spend a night in contemplation under the stars in the desert......this can go a long way to disturbing the notion that the universe revolves around yourself. It is a good step in acquiring genuine humility. It is not contrived....nor does it represent an exercise of willpower. It has the character of a gift....an act of grace.
Old 14-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by celest
The desire to become enlightened will stop you becoming enlightened,

This. Humanb, look inside yourself for the answers, don't take official figures words as authority so much.

I realised the other day that my own disagreement of the things people like Buddha and Jesus have said probably comes across really offensive to other people but to me thinking for myself has always been so natural.
Old 14-03-2015, 03:50 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
For me, true humility is a sign of recognition of the Divine. This is only made possible by suppression of the ego.

Suppression of the ego is a cruel act, the ego is meant to be recognised and cared for properly. It is meant to recognise the divine and step back and say "ok, I'm out of my depth, I'll let you take over now". You shouldn't have to force it. It will just feel more resentful.
Old 14-03-2015, 03:53 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanb
Yeah, i understand that. but personally i think if something isn't desired you wont bother working towards it, maybe i have to keep the desire to become enlightened right up to the point where i have abolished all my delusions. apart from the desire to be enlightened, then i let go of the desire to become enlightened and suddenly I'm there.

It's a useful tool to motivate yourself to practice spirituality and remove delusions. if you have nothing to aim for then its just too easy to give in.

If you have no desire then you remember what you forgot you always had in the first place. Desire and acting on that desire is like searching for a pair of car keys that were in your hands the whole time. You rip your house apart looking for them then give up and place your head in your hands in resignation and lo behold there they are.... now right in front of your face.
Old 14-03-2015, 05:43 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettHayden
Suppression of the ego is a cruel act, the ego is meant to be recognised and cared for properly. It is meant to recognise the divine and step back and say "ok, I'm out of my depth, I'll let you take over now". You shouldn't have to force it. It will just feel more resentful.

ScarlettHayden,

Semantics maybe? I did not say eliminate the ego.....that is not possible IMO. Maybe I should have said 'overcoming'. But if you are meaning it is proper to strengthen the ego then I would strongly disagree with that. We see this very differently.......I see the ego as that which imposes slavery.....you see it as a means to freedom?