Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 03-09-2014, 01:42 PM
Knower
Cat Loki's turning point

I am focusing on Loki as the only male (and I use that term very loosely) force in my current circle of interest. I am centering a lot around Norse and Celtic deities, but on to the question.

At some point Loki, whom I feel is the most dynamic of all the mythological deities, changed from being basically playful and roguish but ultimately a boon to a truly malevolent and harmful figure. What brought this about was a blackened or burned heart that Loki found while walking in a field towards the end of the cycle. Loki then ate of the heart and his nature turned truly dark as the legend goes.
Strange eating and hygiene habits to be sure, but I have only seen this reference once. Although a few others have referred to it. No unfortunately I cannot find the link to this or the source (sorry bad form, I will continue looking).
I am hoping somebody else has seen, heard of, or even knows associated material that might point to some more understanding of this "turning point".
Loki represents many things to me and finding out some possible connections would make a difference perhaps in my connections. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

To all Be Well
Old 03-09-2014, 03:04 PM
Experiencer
www.sacred-texts.com/neu/ice/coo/coo19.htm
Old 03-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Knower
Cat Very helpful

Thank you so much. You responded so quickly it is embarrassing. i have read reams of Norse myth and have never seen this portion, thank you again. It explains much. The timeline is slightly confusing, but so is much of the Norse timeline (and much of the collective grouping known as Norse myth and paganism, not exactly librarians those guys :) ). I appreciate your contribution, it helps. I always thought that bitterness and rejection as well as avarice were part of Loki's motivation (not all) and this supports that some.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Experiencer
I don't know,would like to say something,some comment,but for now i don't understand the full,or maybe hidden meaning of His turning point.Seems to me there is something more to it than the first thoughts.Yes,perhaps bitterness,still i can't get used to the concept of Loki's malevolence.Secret or misunderstood purpose maybe...
Anyway,i'll keep looking for my insights on the matter,though i know it's Tricky...

Glad the link is helpful.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:11 AM
Naddread

The key to understanding Loki's "turning point" most likely has to do with the Christianization of Northern Europe.

~Naddread~
Old 05-09-2014, 08:49 AM
Experiencer
Consistent view,Naddread,great idea!
Old 06-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Knower
Cat Interesting twist

Interesting thought i had this am then is that depending on the view you take of Guveig (I am waxing incredibly nerdy here) is that if you take Loki eating of the heart as the impetus of Ragnarok, which I do. This would mean that the Vanir ultimately are involved since Gulveig is the cause of that conflict or the heart of it. Gulveig is either thought to be a separate Vanir in her own right or possibly Freyja. The other thought I have heard is that Gulveig is possibly Angrboda Loki's wife of sorrows, a Jotun, which throws yet another cast on the story. Again incredibly geeky I know.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Experiencer
I have read about a connection between Angrboda and Audhumla,and an interpretation of Ragnarok/Twilight as a meeting between the Worlds of Night and Day/Aesir and Jotuns/Dusk and Dawn.Wyrdic Figures are part of both,and at the same time of neither,their purpose is to trigger the End and the New Beginning.
The Lesser Voluspa says that when Loki swallowed Gulveig's Heart,partaking of his lover,he gained the ability to give birth.
And Angrboda appears one more time before the Aesir;according to some interpretations her strength was notorious and it was Her,in the form of Hyrrokin who launched Ringhorn,here she acts as a psychopomp.Naglfar is also viewed as the Ship of Nal.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:35 AM
Knower
Cat Impressive

Thanks again, this leads me further. The concept of Loki being endowed with the ability to give birth is new to me as well, outside of Sleiphnir of course. The Wyrd is still a totally unknown concept to me aside from seeing mention of it once in a brief reading about Asatru.
I have tried contacting some Asatru followers for follow-up but so far have been rebuffed. Wyrd is definitely an interesting concept though. from what I gather it is to Asatru almost a group consciousness well and in traditional Norse mythology it is a mixture of Fate and Destiny.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:10 AM
Experiencer
My own understanding of Wyrd is that it is like a map which is made for the personal journey of everyone.Since the original meaning of the word is "to become" and the term is connected to words like "worth" with a meaning "to identify" or "value",and the weaving of Fate was described with the word "urlaug",literally meaning "beyond law",i don't see Wyrd as something predetermined.Rather Wyrd is what is the most suitable for us,being woven each moment,and in accordance with our free will,choice and purposes in life.
Also,as far as i know,the Web of Wyrd connects all beings and the Nine Worlds.
So,i see it more like a compass rose,a nautical chart which help us not lose direction and navigate through ocean of life.

That is just my view,of course.