Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Closed Thread

Old 25-05-2019, 03:10 PM
Master

Shivani, I must confess I like Gabor Mate now that you introduced him here.

I have studied some of his notes in the internet just now.

The irony however is that Gabor Mate too holds Eckhart Tolle with respect and reverence.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...life-1.3147725

"Eckhart really invites you to look inside, to see how we create our world through our mental processes and our emotional predispositions which are programmed into us before we know it. - Gabor Mate

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 25-05-2019, 06:51 PM
Master
The real chalenge with the power of now,is to learn how to ''look'' outside time.
Unfortunaly that's something you can only experience it,so i understand why some people can't get a glimpse of it.

From that point it's up to you to utilize the ''now'' in your daily life,and choose what to do.
Sometimes i used it to reach beings,and it worked.
One other time i tried to exit my body but i ended up feeling numb and something like electricity circulating my body.
Anyway.(at least i managed to use it).

The point is that you can do a lot by utilizing the present moment,which is when your presence comes forth.
Old 25-05-2019, 09:22 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by django
Didn't the Buddha himself sometimes criticise the teachings of the Brahmins of his day, ie. judging they were wrong. And Jesus had quite a few choice words to say about the scribes and the pharisees, the religious elite of his day, because to him they did not follow God with a pure heart and seek the Kingdom within, and they didn't teach the people the right way either.

Must we really say all teachers are equal, no matter what they say or do?

Of course not, django.

This is where things get confusing. If & when we know what Jesus/Buddha do it may clear things up. Until then, yeah I know we're just doing our best.

BTW I don't have a firm view on Tolle but find little desire to back up the nature and logic of criticism levelled against him - nor do I agree with what I see here on that front..YMMV
Old 25-05-2019, 09:28 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
I PERSONALLY found nothing in them...It didn't resonate whatsoever! but I get the same feelings from Louise Hay, Wayne Dyer etc...even Mooji and Sadhguru doesn't do it for me...I must admit to being particularly fussy when it comes to spiritual Teachers...they need to reach me somewhere inside and touch something for me to take notice and Ekhart just didn't "do it for me".

I think you've captured how I feel. I personally don't disagree with a lot of what he points to but it doesn't capture something for me. Ditto many others on the market.

Thanks Shivani Devi.
Old 26-05-2019, 12:46 AM
Deactivated Account
Good afternoon all

Strange that people look to another, when they already have it.
But then you must be getting the real deal if your paying dearly for it.
But then again, maybe looking for a trigger, even if they knew about such a thing.
And when that comes it will be out of the blue, from unknown source.
Old 28-05-2019, 12:36 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Like
I think it's totally fine to be a spiritual teacher and be a millionaire at the same time .. but when such peeps find themselves in the spotlight one can't help but be scrutinised when what they teach seems to go against their way of living .. because anyone worthy of respect in my book has to live by example.
I can only imagine, getting back on track that teachers in the spotlight can potentially have a difficult time, it seems there are going to be as many guru worshippers as there are bashers and people are going to be waiting for the mighty to fall unfortunately, but if you as said live by example then there will be no mud to stick to anything ..

While in Tolles case while there is 70 million sitting in the bank there are going to be questions raised in reflection of desires, attachments and needs etc .. that relate to his teachings ..

No-one perhaps is going to lose any sleep over it unless there is an attachment to it either way, either from Tolle or other's ..

I don't see personally how one can be non attached to something that one keeps hold of lol ..

It's easy to say I have a house and money but I am not attached to it but won't give it up without a fight ...

In regards to what you said about disassociation Amanda I agree, and it's funny that there is no disassociation in effect when it comes down to owning the money in a personalised bank account but when there is pain in or of the mind-body one should distance themselves from it .

x daz x
Hey there Daz LOL...agreed. What his behaviour says to me is 1) ok to disassociate pain but cleave to money...so you are absolutely ok to indulge in the worst of the Western "prosperity gospel" that so many still seek as "proof" of spiritual worthiness. And sadly, I think that is exactly why he was popular with Oprah and many in his home country and elsewhere. God wants you to be rich coz just look at me!!! -- oh and it's spiritual... details, see my website for products and prices.

To be frank, his behaviour (word and deed, the combo) perpetrates and perpetuates IMO an example of a rather insipid self-indulgence and egregious indulgence in wealth accumulation by any means.

Such as positioning yourself as a guru accumulating huge sums from spiritual seekers but with no transparent plan or commitment for all these transactions and now "your" funds, save for yours truly.

And then 2) saying do as I say but not as I do regarding authenticity and transparency in the moment. Thus, do go ahead and do as I do regarding your desire to avoid pain (which IMO tends to brings a particular relationship to your reflection and to your ownership), and do go ahead and do as I do regarding material accumulation without transparency of commitment or service regarding said funds. It's yours to take and keep - you don't owe anyone anything even whilst society sustains you in every way...not unless you are forced to pay taxes but if a "religious" entity, perhaps you get major tax breaks or concessions. Strategic contradictions and cherry-picking = compromised integrity and serious ethical dilemmas...even if you haven't broken civil or criminal law.

All this whilst ultimately staying away from working through the reflection, honest pain and soul-searching and frankly even the remorse that such a lifeway might actually inspire in the awakened and conscientious, when confronted with all these dubious moral and ethical issues.

I don't want to disparage those who have found something in his words, which as you say, so many of which are sourced from others and regurgitated. I'd frankly have no real issue with him for just that, if not for all the other monetised and thus real ethical issues

Peace & blessings Dazzle D
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 28-05-2019, 01:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7luminaries
Hey there Daz LOL...agreed. What his behaviour says to me is 1) ok to disassociate pain but cleave to money...so you are absolutely ok to indulge in the worst of the Western "prosperity gospel" that so many still seek as "proof" of spiritual worthiness. And sadly, I think that is exactly why he was popular with Oprah and many in his home country and elsewhere. God wants you to be rich coz just look at me!!! -- oh and it's spiritual... details, see my website for products and prices.

To be frank, his behaviour (word and deed, the combo) perpetrates and perpetuates IMO an example of a rather insipid self-indulgence and egregious indulgence in wealth accumulation by any means.

Such as positioning yourself as a guru accumulating huge sums from spiritual seekers but with no transparent plan or commitment for all these transactions and now "your" funds, save for yours truly.

And then 2) saying do as I say but not as I do regarding authenticity and transparency in the moment. Thus, do go ahead and do as I do regarding your desire to avoid pain (which IMO tends to brings a particular relationship to your reflection and to your ownership), and do go ahead and do as I do regarding material accumulation without transparency of commitment or service regarding said funds. It's yours to take and keep - you don't owe anyone anything even whilst society sustains you in every way...not unless you are forced to pay taxes but if a "religious" entity, perhaps you get major tax breaks or concessions. Strategic contradictions and cherry-picking = compromised integrity and serious ethical dilemmas...even if you haven't broken civil or criminal law.

All this whilst ultimately staying away from working through the reflection, honest pain and soul-searching and frankly even the remorse that such a lifeway might actually inspire in the awakened and conscientious, when confronted with all these dubious moral and ethical issues.

I don't want to disparage those who have found something in his words, which as you say, so many of which are sourced from others and regurgitated. I'd frankly have no real issue with him for just that, if not for all the other monetised and thus real ethical issues

Peace & blessings Dazzle D
7L

Old 28-05-2019, 05:20 AM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffin
Good afternoon all

But then again, maybe looking for a trigger, even if they knew about such a thing.

That's like saying why does a runner get a training coach when everyone knows how to run.
Old 28-05-2019, 05:29 AM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Luminaries
And then 2) saying do as I say but not as I do regarding authenticity and transparency in the moment. Thus, do go ahead and do as I do regarding your desire to avoid pain (which IMO tends to brings a particular relationship to your reflection and to your ownership), and do go ahead and do as I do regarding material accumulation without transparency of commitment or service regarding said funds.

Tolle:

“the intensity of the pain depends on the degree of resistance to the present moment.”

“When the ego is amplified by the emotion of the pain-body, the ego has enormous strength still – particularly at those times. It requires very great presence so that you can be there as the space also for your pain-body, when it arises.”

“All negativity is caused by an accumulation of psychological time and denial of the present. Unease, anxiety, tension, stress, worry – all forms of fear – are caused by too much future, and not enough presence. Guilt, regret, resentment, grievances, sadness, bitterness, and all forms of nonforgiveness are caused by too much past, and not enough presence.”

“If you are present, the pain-body cannot feed anymore on your thoughts, or on other people’s reactions. You can simply observe it, and be the witness, be the space for it. Then gradually, its energy will decrease.”

"Every addiction arises from an unconscious refusal to face and move through your own pain. Every addiction starts with pain and ends with pain."

I'm no Tolle fan, or even reader really, but if you're going to criticize someone, it would be better if you actually read what he says. How quick we are to condemn this fellow, and all for teaching personal development practices in this world - I've seen significantly more harmful practices, and by all accounts, this guy actually speaks sense, and far better than a lot of what goes for spirituality on these boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Luminaries

1. He has never shied away from pain - the folks who keep saying that he has clearly have no clue what he is teaching (and remember, I am no adherent, but this interpretation is clearly misguided, in my opinion)

2. There are no moral and ethical issues - he is earning his money openly and without harming anyone, forcing anyone to listen, chaining anyone up, and offering his service with full cost outlined and at affordable rates for most people.

That you and so many others on this thread seek to disparage him for daring to have money speaks more to each of you, in my opinion. Greed, jealousy, judgement...or ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7luminaries

No, just Tolle himself, based on dubious moral judgements. And yes, apparently earning money is now a huge ethical issue??
Old 28-05-2019, 06:00 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffin
Good afternoon all

Paying dearly for what? The audio book is free on YouTube.