Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Old 30-10-2011, 01:32 AM
Racer X

A Red Tailed Hawk vs. A Squirrel

A Red Tailed Hawk vs. a squirrel~

I watched as the squirrel ran up, down and around the tree......
The Hawk watched from a nearby branch and swooped down~

The Hawk did not fly off as I approached, I wondered how close I could get~

Over and over the Hawk swooped down on the squirrel~
I edged closer and closer...... 25 feet, 20 feet, 15 feet~

The Hawk had one eye on me and one eye on the squirrel~

I said to the squirrel "This is your best chance, I suggest finding a hole in the ground, rather then the tree"

The squirrel ran down the tree and into a hollow log~

The Hawk was not happy and showed me how close he could come to me, she swooped down on me! Two feet and that was amazing to see!
Old 30-10-2011, 01:39 AM
Master
This really happened to you, Racer? If so, that's a wOw!

Old 30-10-2011, 01:48 AM
iolite

We have a hawk family that nests in the trees behind us, in a wooded area between our fenced in back yard and the parkway. I've seen one or the other in the trees in our yard and even though it was usually at least 100 feet away and 50 feet up, it was still amazing. Then one morning I go into the kitchen to get a cup of coffee and there is a hawk on our deck!! Previous owners built a frame at the end of the deck with a cross beam. We kept it when we rebuilt the deck. There the hawk was on the cross beam, doing it's toilette. It was busy cleaning it's talons that it didn't notice me. The view was perfect, it was about 15 feet away. I called to my husband and daughter, but it flew off and they didn't get a chance to see it. I'm guessing that the hawk caught a squirrel or chipmunk in the yard and flew up to the post to eat it.

My cat, Bounder, is quite the hunter and self taught too!! Since we've been here (almost 6 years), I've gotten over my squeamishness in dealing with his offerings and cleaning up after his leftovers (he just doesn't seem to enjoy the insides and I get clean that up)! The squirrels have either gotten faster or the word has gotten out about him because he doesn't catch as many as he used to. Our dog, Willow, sees it as her job to keep our back yard squirrel free. She quite enjoys chasing them up a tree. Her tail wags the whole time!

I'm glad the squirrel got away from the hawk! On one one of my walks with Willow, I saw an owl catch a bird in a tree and then perch there to dine!
Old 30-10-2011, 05:59 AM
Sentientno1

Sorrry guys but i am on the hawk's side. If it wanted to kill the squirrel there are only 3 reasons for it, the hawk needed to eat, the hawk had a family to feed, ( if this happened this past summer) the hawk was protecting it's young.
Squirrels will rob birds nests of both eggs and young, when they need to eat.

In any persuit, any animal that is a predater can afford to spend only so many calories in the chase. if it isn't successful it has fewer calories to spend in the next opportunity to eat, so it's chances at survival diminish. Raptor Birds especialy live on the edge since thier skill is hampered or cancelled out by weather conditions.

Wish i could soften the facts, but nature is raw tho it is honest.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Racer X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
This really happened to you, Racer? If so, that's a wOw!

Yes........ It was a most beautiful Hawk~

and a most beautiful squirrel~

If only I could teach the Hawk to take down the Golfers which are destroying both of there habitats.

Perhaps then the Hawk and Squirrel could work together..... The Hawk could save the Golfers nuts for the squirrels.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentientno1
Sorrry guys but i am on the hawk's side. If it wanted to kill the squirrel there are only 3 reasons for it, the hawk needed to eat, the hawk had a family to feed, ( if this happened this past summer) the hawk was protecting it's young.
Squirrels will rob birds nests of both eggs and young, when they need to eat.

In any persuit, any animal that is a predater can afford to spend only so many calories in the chase. if it isn't successful it has fewer calories to spend in the next opportunity to eat, so it's chances at survival diminish. Raptor Birds especialy live on the edge since thier skill is hampered or cancelled out by weather conditions.

Wish i could soften the facts, but nature is raw tho it is honest.

I feed the bluejays in my yard and we have bonded as a result. One day a hawk caught one of them and i watched as it tried to get away. i was so distraught that I went outside with the thought to try and help the half dead bluejay get away.
It was then that the hawk hopped under a bush with the blujay in his talons and looked at me and an overwelming understanding came over me followed by a great sense of compassion for the hawk and his need to eat.
Quite the experience.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X
Yes........ It was a most beautiful Hawk~

and a most beautiful squirrel~

If only I could teach the Hawk to take down the Golfers which are destroying both of there habitats.

Perhaps then the Hawk and Squirrel could work together..... The Hawk could save the Golfers nuts for the squirrels.

Love your quips! I prefer wildlife to golfers anyday of the week, RoFL!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:01 AM
Sentientno1

Thanks for that testimony WS, i think your compassion for what could have been villanized was beautiful.

We had a hawk that made a habit of taking songbirds from our feeders in the winter. It was always a wrench to my heart, i don't deny it. One day i walked out and checked after the hawk fed, to see what it ate of it's kill. i was amazed...except for a few larger feathers, it eats EVERYTHING,legs, feet, beaks, bones, it leaves no scraps.

In the winter months especialy with snow cover, hawks and eagles will eat carrion too out of necessity. One animals death may mean a number of others will live..re cycled life.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Master
Quote:
Thanks for that testimony WS, i think your compassion for what could have been villanized was beautiful.

We had a hawk that made a habit of taking songbirds from our feeders in the winter. It was always a wrench to my heart, i don't deny it. One day i walked out and checked after the hawk fed, to see what it ate of it's kill. i was amazed...except for a few larger feathers, it eats EVERYTHING,legs, feet, beaks, bones, it leaves no scraps.

In the winter months especialy with snow cover, hawks and eagles will eat carrion too out of necessity. One animals death may mean a number of others will live..re cycled life.

Very nice ...thank you. It was certainly memorable!

When I worked at the wildlife rehab, I would feed the hawks dead mice. Afterwards I would have to clean up the mess and they always left the same parts.
These must have been spoiled hawks.........lol
Old 08-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Master
Quote:

I remember a hawk would come sit in one of my trees and wait for the songbirds to come to the feeders, and then enjoy his/her own breakfast. I was mortified, but it was part of life. I'd much prefer it to go back and sit in the forests and fields across the road.

I went to my favorite jogging/hiking trails yesterday morning and found a pile of feathers. I wondered if it was a hawk that got the bird. There was nothing but the feathers.