Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Paranormal & Supernatural > Mysteries, Myths & Legends

Old 26-06-2011, 02:23 AM
nightowl

Spring-heeled Jack

Spring-heeled Jack is a character in English folklore of the Victorian era who was known for his startling jumps. The first claimed sighting of Spring-heeled Jack was in 1837.[1] Later sightings were reported all over England and were especially prevalent in suburban London, the Midlands and Scotland.[2]

There are many theories about the nature and identity of Spring-heeled Jack. This urban legend was very popular in its time, due to the tales of his bizarre appearance and ability to make extraordinary leaps, to the point that he became the topic of several works of fiction.

Spring-heeled Jack was described by people who claimed to have seen him as having a terrifying and frightful appearance, with diabolical physiognomy, clawed hands, and eyes that "resembled red balls of fire". One report claimed that, beneath a black cloak, he wore a helmet and a tight-fitting white garment like an oilskin. Many stories also mention a "Devil-like" aspect. Others said he was tall and thin, with the appearance of a gentleman. Several reports mention that he could breathe out blue and white flames and that he wore sharp metallic claws at his fingertips. At least two people claimed that he was able to speak comprehensible English.

History
In the early 19th century, there were reports of ghosts that stalked the streets of London. These human-like figures were described as pale and stalked and preyed on lone pedestrians.

In 1803, the Hammersmith ghost was reported in the western edge of London. It is rumoured that while a woman was walking past the Hammersmith chapel, the ghost grasped her in his arms. She immediately fainted and died only days later due to shock. Another ghoul, the Southampton ghost, was also reported as assaulting individuals in the night. He was reported as jumping over houses and being over 10 feet high.[3]

It is some years after these accounts that Spring-heeled Jack first appears in the 1830s. These ghosts of London seem similar in their style of attacks and their appearance; however, unlike these other menaces, Spring-heeled Jack was sometimes reported as having a devil-like appearance, or taking the form of a bear.
[edit] Early reports
Picture from a Penny Dreadful

The first alleged sightings of Spring-heeled Jack were made in London in 1837 and the last reported sighting is said in most of the secondary literature to have been made in Liverpool in 1904.[4][5]

The first report of Jack was from a businessman returning home late one night from work, who told of being suddenly shocked as a mysterious figure jumped with ease over the high railings of Barnes Cemetery, landing right in his path. No attack was reported, but the submitted description was disturbing: a muscular man with devilish features including large and pointed ears and nose, and protruding, glowing eyes.

Later, in October 1837, a girl by the name of Mary Stevens was walking to Lavender Hill, where she was working as a servant, after visiting her parents in Battersea. On her way through Clapham Common, a strange figure leapt at her from a dark alley. After immobilising her with a tight grip of his arms, he began to kiss her face, while ripping her clothes and touching her flesh with his claws, which were, according to her deposition, "cold and clammy as those of a corpse". In panic, the girl screamed, making the attacker quickly flee from the scene. The commotion brought several residents who immediately launched a search for the aggressor, who could not be found.

The next day, the leaping character is said to have chosen a very different victim near Mary Stevens' home, inaugurating a method that would reappear in later reports: he jumped in the way of a passing carriage, causing the coachman to lose control, crash, and severely injure himself. Several witnesses claimed that he escaped by jumping over a nine-foot-high wall while babbling with a high-pitched, ringing laughter.

Gradually, the news of the strange character spread, and soon the press and the public gave him a name: Spring-heeled Jack...

This is an excerpt from; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring-heeled_Jack

nightowl
Old 26-06-2011, 04:03 AM
Scibat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicOrin
Can't always assume photoshop is behind these things, you just never know~ :)

Nor can you assume its genuine either.
Old 26-06-2011, 04:05 AM
Master
It's really sad ~ can remember the days when the gp used to trust the pictures. No more.

Old 26-06-2011, 04:39 AM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
It's really sad ~ can remember the days when the gp used to trust the pictures. No more.

It is sad SG...
Old 26-06-2011, 04:57 AM
AngelicOrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
It is sad SG...

Agreed. :(

I have msg'd my brother about the Mothman so I hope he replies...it isn't easy getting one from him.
Old 26-06-2011, 05:02 AM
nightowl

Quote:
Agreed. :(

I have msg'd my brother about the Mothman so I hope he replies...it isn't easy getting one from him.

Hey AngelicOrin,

okay thanks for letting me know...

this is a really cool link all about the Mothmman, check it out if you get the chance...

http://www.mothmen.us/introduction.htm

nightowl
Old 26-06-2011, 05:12 AM
AngelicOrin

I had a look on that website, and guess what!! The Mothman was SEEN flying away from the Twin Towers at 9am! That pretty much backs up that picture...now to look for more evidence...

Quote:
2001 - New York City, New York, USA

On September 11th, at approximately 9am - a winged figure was seen flying from the World Trade Center Towers in New York City.

It was also seen at Chernobyl, Russia around the time it meltdown.

EDIT: My brother replied and as always a guy of small words, just said "Indrid Cold".
Old 31-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Alandra

I read a book on this years ago. The thought then was that the Mothmen appear in certain "flap" areas, that is areas where the fabric between dimensions is weak and some cross over to come into ours (out of curiosity). They are the normal looking denizens of their world.
Old 31-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Master
Smile

Quote:
I had a look on that website, and guess what!! The Mothman was SEEN flying away from the Twin Towers at 9am! That pretty much backs up that picture...now to look for more evidence...

It was also seen at Chernobyl, Russia around the time it meltdown.

EDIT: My brother replied and as always a guy of small words, just said "Indrid Cold".

Hahaha! What's with that brother of yours, LOL.

I love stories like this, I hope to hear more about it soon. Should check out the Coast to Coast 640 AM radio show site...

Old 31-08-2011, 11:17 PM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandra
I read a book on this years ago. The thought then was that the Mothmen appear in certain "flap" areas, that is areas where the fabric between dimensions is weak and some cross over to come into ours (out of curiosity). They are the normal looking denizens of their world.

Kind of like a shapeshifter, working between the folds of existence?

nightowl