Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 23-02-2014, 06:54 AM
Pathfinder

native american Shaman Calling?

Hello all! Ive always been interested in shamanism.
I learned my great grandmother was a shaman in the crow tribe. I was wondering how you know if your being called to be a shaman.Do shaman ancestors have the same totem as you? Any input would be greatly recieved thank you :)
Old 23-02-2014, 07:37 AM
Knower
I have found that I'm meant to be a Shaman myself.
Then again, looking at my energy, its who I am.

I have felt really connected to Native American spirituality and Shamanism, but I'm looking to study different forms of Shamanism as well.

I am going to connect with a Shaman who has a bit more experience than me, and I think that is the best advice I can give anyone.
Old 23-02-2014, 08:19 AM
Master

I didn't connect with myself as a shaman in any way until I went on a course that taught how to journey and from there I have been very consicous of the spirits of the hills and totem animals plus many other things. I had been working with a lady who works shaminically and that was my inspiration to find out more.

So yes, as Rfrost says, go learn to journey and see how you feel about that. I think we all have the ability to connect with our shaman sides.
Old 23-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Master

There are no native american shamans, any more than there are jewish popes or african (culture) bishops. The native american tribes have always had medicine men (and occasionally medicine women) for various spiritual areas. One medicine man might be a great healer by herbal means, another might be good at speaking with the spirits. Consider also that this name might be translated differentially into each of the tribal languages. Shaman is a title for a spiritual figure in the mongolian and nearby cultures of the steppes of the northern asia, and even though the responsibilities and talents of medicine men and shaman are somewhat similar their methods and tools and even tribal situation are to a great degree different. In fact, anyone who calls themselves a native american shaman could be pretending to be something they are not. Consider yourself warned.
Old 23-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Pathfinder

thanks guys! i will definately start to look into shamanism!

i didnt know why my grandmother didnt use medicine woman or any term like that but then again she doesnt know a lot about native american culture.