Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 24-04-2012, 03:23 AM
In_Shadow_I_Wait

Shaman Training?

I have been thinking about asking this for years and I never really know what was stopping me. I feel like I am supposed to be something of a shaman, and would really like to find out how to begin training to become one. Is there anyone on this site who would know anyway to start this training? I have been interested in this for this last two years but never had the courage to ask, I thought I would sound stupid saying all of this.
I feel like something in my future needs me to go through this, and I need the training to help me and others in my future. I feel like I may rely on it a lot actually.
And if it makes any sense, I feel like I may have already done something with this before. By before I mean before this life time, like a really really long time ago. I don't know, something about me has a strange connection with nature, animals, people and the spiritual in general.
If it helps at all I also have some inherent psychic ability I have been working on over the last few years, and it is extremely strong in the ability to predict the future and in sensing peoples emotions.

Please give me some info if you know anything, or if you wish to assist me in any way. Thank you :)
Old 24-04-2012, 07:59 AM
Master
I follow a path which is derived from the Shaman who first came to Britain when the North Sea plain flooded at the end of the Ice Age. The path is one of the Cunning Folk and the modern derivation is Hedge Witch. The "hedge" being what pagans in general would call the "veil".

OK, Shadow. I can only tell you about my journey, yours will be yours alone. Firstly, there are no teachers, no books to read - it is all experiential and practical, and it will take decades. Firstly, it is rooted in the Land - your Land. Essentially, you must "adopt" a tract, preferably "Wild Land" [mine is the Northern Dales of England]. You must come to know your land like the back of your hand, to become part of your Land - every nook and cranny, the flora and the fauna, the weather patterns, the geology, the ancestral inhabitants, agriculture, etc, etc. You must dedicate yourself to protect your Land [don't worry - millions world-wide do this , conservationists]
Along the way, you will begin to sense places in your Land which seem special somehow. You will also become known to the Nature Spirits of your Land - this is crucial ! Those "special places" were places of power in the landscape for ancestral shaman where they invoked the ancestral spirits and gained knowledge from them. Your ultimate aim is to gain access to the spirit world via portals and this is where it is essential to have the goodwill of the spirits.

In a nutshell that is it. It is a long but very rewarding way. The best "tool" I can advise you is Meditation. Find your "special place" in your Land and practice your meditations there. Do overnight vigils there and open yourself to the hidden side of your Land.
Must stress again that this is a personal path but I hope I have given you some ideas.

[For a longer look, check here http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...ad.php?t=4753]
Old 24-04-2012, 01:36 PM
In_Shadow_I_Wait

In a way I used to have what you were talking about. My land. I used to go to this camp a few years ago, and I loved being in this place. The forest made me feel so alive, I felt like I was at home. And I found this one grove, it just seemed so important, so special, like it welcomed me there. I could never explain why I always felt at peace there. But I was a kid, I didn't think about the spiritual implications of it. Well actually that's a lie, I did think about it because it was a church camp, but I thought it was just a closeness to God that I was feeling.

But I no longer have access to that area sadly. No where else has really ever felt the same. So alive yet so desolate, so full of energy but nothing was around. Nothing really feels like that in the middle of the city though, everything here feels so... empty... in the wilderness, far away from the city, it's all so full of life.
Old 24-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Master

Go back to that grove in your mind. If you are destined for shaman you will find it disconcertingly easy.... and real.
Old 24-04-2012, 02:51 PM
In_Shadow_I_Wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
You will also become known to the Nature Spirits of your Land - this is crucial ! Those "special places" were places of power in the landscape for ancestral shaman where they invoked the ancestral spirits and gained knowledge from them. Your ultimate aim is to gain access to the spirit world via portals and this is where it is essential to have the goodwill of the spirits.

What do you mean when you say you will become known to the Nature Spirits? And would this count as an encounter?

One night I out meditating on my back porch and it was a full moon and I was feeling kind of down. I was meditating trying to sense life around me and in the background I felt a strange... presence I guess I would say. It felt like it was in everything that was alive around me. Like it was apart of the environment. I couldn't really pick it out, but I could tell it felt almost alive. I kind of gave a mental tug so to speak. And all of a sudden I felt it surround me. The wind, which was not even blowing, started circling around me. The presence felt very comforting and reassuring like it could tell how I felt.
Old 24-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Master
Hard to put an exact description to that, however your description sounds about right. With me it was walking solo on the moors and knowing I was not alone. Also doing a meditation in the remains of a Bronze/Iron Age round house on the moor, there were shadows moving around me. I suspect that the experience is different for everyone. The acid test is the first time you open a portal. Without the "approval" of the ancestors, this will not happen.
Old 24-04-2012, 06:56 PM
In_Shadow_I_Wait

What do you mean by open a portal? What comes out of the portal? Or does it lead my spirit somewhere?
Old 25-04-2012, 07:19 AM
Master
Portal = Doorway = a place where the "veil" is thinnest. A place where our world and the world of the Spirits can connect. NOT physically but in spirit. A place where the ancestral spirits may impart their knowledge and advice IF they are so inclined. When I say "ancestral", I do not mean your family in particular but all who went before you in your Land.
Old 25-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Master

These are what I know as the Borderlands?
Old 25-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWarrior
These are what I know as the Borderlands?

A good word to use, describes it well ! " A place between places ".
Normally I use "hedge" but that assumes that people think about what the hedge does and is. A border between places. Between pasture and cultivated field ; between the village and the wilderness ; between reality and dream world ; between the realms of being ! A borderland