Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Islam Faith

Old 01-03-2016, 02:37 AM
Experiencer
I too got an impression there was something else motivating your consideration. I'm not convinced it is a political statement more so than you taking a personal stand perhaps to spite that which you find undesirable.

Having said that - I believe you are what is referred to as a seeker. You have a lot of questions you are hoping to find an answer for. In this spirit - I think that is awesome and you are in a great place. As for deciding the direction you need to go - I would simply encourage you to follow your heart. The steps you are taking is a great first start in talking with an Imam. If your heart is pointing you towards Islam - then jump into it with both feet for yourself with the understanding this will have a tremendous influence on your future. As others have suggested - this is your journey and I would not go out of your way attempting to bring your family and/or friends along with you on this journey until you better understand yourself and the faith you wish to practice. At the end of the day -- this decision is solely about you and the relationship you wish to build with God (English translation). It's not about making a statement to your sphere of influence.

Good luck and enjoy your journey

A man who has not passed through the inferno of his passions has not overcome them.

-- Carl Jung
Old 01-03-2016, 03:33 AM
Master
Sound advice :) Thanks for that.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:29 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMcCann
Have you read the Quran? Does it contain the things you believe in? That's surely the real question.

Very well put.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:24 PM
Master
Went to mosque last night and it was amazing.

I have attended worship in a variety of buildings under a variety of faiths in my life and I just love how it seems I end up where I need to be to see what I need to see and last night was no different. The speaker they had really connected to me on a deep level and the people were so welcoming and friendly... I will continue this path for now exploring who I am and what will continue to enriching my soul.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:07 AM
Knower
The Quran is very beautiful, lot of good stuff in there. And I think there are many peaceful Muslims. But it's another religion, that's been distorted by greedy old men in the past and also claims that is alone has the answers. But you already knew that last part I think. I'd say go for it! A lot more devotion and real spirituality in a mosque than almost any Christian or Jewish church i'd say.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:43 AM
Master
Thanks Euda :)
Old 10-03-2016, 03:17 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eudaimonia
I'd say go for it! A lot more devotion and real spirituality in a mosque than almost any Christian or Jewish church i'd say.

Wow!!! That's a bold statement

A man who has not passed through the inferno of his passions has not overcome them.

-- Carl Jung
Old 12-03-2016, 03:17 PM
Suspended
Master

Some religions are political. For example, women fought for equal rights with men in many countries and after a hard fight won those rights, in 1895 in Australia, in 1920 in the US, in Britain in 1928. Some religions do not treat women as equal to men which puts them at odds with the rights some countries give women by law. Some religions see women as property that men own.
Old 13-03-2016, 12:05 AM
Master
Societies determine the rights of its citizens, not faith.

There are activists within Islam, within societies where there are still many freedoms and equalities to be fought for, men and women alike whom are actively fighting for women's rights.

It does shock me a bit that with the entire internet at your disposal you can still make such a comment without feeling compelled to research it first.

For starters, Pakistan, Marvi Memon and numerous other government officials. In fact on the back of, A Girl in the River, (which was also produced by a woman, Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy) winning an Oscar they are really cracking down on Honor Violence in Pakistan. But if you want a name you have probably heard of in Western news how about Malala Yousafzai.

Afghanistan, the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan aka RAWA.

You may also be surprised to learn that the societies struggling for women's rights aren't even solely Islamic. India for example, look up Sampat Pal and the Gulabi Gang. Not that I condone beating up abusive men and dirty government officials with sticks but they are none the less empowering women and making great strides for improving theirs and the surrounding communities.

This short list only scratches the surface.

As I may have expressed in so many words before... I have done my homework. I have already had every arguement under the sun thrown at me. So, misleading information won't get you anywhere with me. But you are welcome to keep trying... Freedom of speech and such.

Last edited by 002 Cents : 13-03-2016 at 01:39 AM.
Old 18-03-2016, 03:54 PM
Master
Below is a beautiful article about a group of Imams and Islamic Scholars, both male and female, taking a stand against radicalism and "the misogynistic interpretation of Islam".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ani-zo...b_9411194.html

This link provides examples of powerful women in Islam

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ani-zo...llery/444884/0

Quote:
10 (word omitted for forum rules) Female Muslim Politicians You Need To Know

1. Benazir Bhutto
Bhutto was the 11th Prime Minister of Pakistan. She was the first and only female to hold such a powerful and and prominent office in Pakistan thus far, serving two non-consecutive terms as head of government in 1988–90 and then in 1993–96.

2. Megawati Sukarnoputri
Sukarnoputri was the president of Indonesia from 2001 to 2004.

3. Sheikh Hasina
Sheikh Hasina is the current Prime Minister of Bangladesh. She has been in office since January 2009. She also served as Prime Minister from 1996 to 2001.

4. Khaleda Zia
She was the Prime Minister of Bangladesh from 1991 to 1996 and again from 2001 to 2006. She was the first woman in Bangladesh’s history and second in the Muslim world (after Benazir Bhutto) to head a democratic government.

5. Atifete Jahjaga
Not only is she the current President of Kosovo, she is also the first female President, the first female head of state in the modern Balkans and the youngest to be elected to the office.

I would include more but I really do need to leave something for the article to tell you.