Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 20-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Guide

Here is another link to a vast on-line downloadable library of Hinduism. http://hinduonline.co/digitalLibrary.html
Old 20-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Suspended
Thanks for that, Vinayaka!
Old 20-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Guide

Still, having found that, I'm not a scripture kind of guy. I'm more into practice via temples, sadhana, and seva. In the east (India) maybe 5% of all Hindus are scripture orientated. In the west, among adoptives, and converts, it is much higher. It is said that Hinduism has 3 great pillars: the realised saints and teachers, the temples, and the scriptures. All we need to maintain Sanatana Dharma is any one of those three, as the other two Would naturally re-grow out of any one of them.

In my opinion, the idea of focusing the practice on scripture is horizontal transfer from other faiths that are primarily scripture based.

That is not to say it's 'bad' or detrimental, but just that experiential knowledge is probably of more value in the long run.
Old 20-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Suspended
Ummm.. Not sure about the 5% quote. Vaisnavas have the Gita, and the Yoga Sutras are central to yoga practitioners, etc. I think especially in Vaisnavism the stories and literature are really fundamental to the faith.

Of course, one key difference in India is the fact that it is such a religious country compared to say the UK which only has 7% of the population attending church regularly. So, you find village and temple Hinduism which reaches out to the poorer -often illiterate- masses and the scriptures would not be important to these people as much as the acts of devotion. But, when you look at Hinduism as a whole (including other castes and areas) I think you find scriptures like the Dharma Shastras as being very important...
Old 20-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsoul
Ummm.. Not sure about the 5% quote. Vaisnavas have the Gita, and the Yoga Sutras are central to yoga practitioners, etc. I think especially in Vaisnavism the stories and literature are really fundamental to the faith.

I agree ... what I meant was the idea that the entire focus is on scripture. Of course Hindus of all branches use scripture to some extent. Although many people do study the Gita etc. in depth, that's for sure not the only thing they do. Vaishnavas also like to sing a lot. I did meet one group of people from India who did only that though. There were only 5 in number and called themselves the Gita reading group. No puja, no bhajans, no temple, just taking turns reading Gita.
Old 21-12-2014, 12:14 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinayaka
Still, having found that, I'm not a scripture kind of guy. I'm more into practice via temples, sadhana, and seva. In the east (India) maybe 5% of all Hindus are scripture orientated. In the west, among adoptives, and converts, it is much higher. It is said that Hinduism has 3 great pillars: the realised saints and teachers, the temples, and the scriptures. All we need to maintain Sanatana Dharma is any one of those three, as the other two Would naturally re-grow out of any one of them.

In my opinion, the idea of focusing the practice on scripture is horizontal transfer from other faiths that are primarily scripture based.

That is not to say it's 'bad' or detrimental, but just that experiential knowledge is probably of more value in the long run.

The bold part is very true. Experiential is very important. If you're not experiencing any spiritual growth, then move on. It's why I stick w/ my particular path. It's all experiential - no books.
And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. - 1 John 4:16
Old 21-12-2014, 02:32 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tainamom
The bold part is very true. Experiential is very important. If you're not experiencing any spiritual growth, then move on. It's why I stick w/ my particular path. It's all experiential - no books.

At the same time, its not like trial and error. The guidelines to living laid out in the yamas and niyamas and elsewhere guide the experiences to be those that produce results. So scripture supplements or guides choices one can make. In other words, to live according to dharma.
Old 21-12-2014, 03:06 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinayaka
At the same time, its not like trial and error. The guidelines to living laid out in the yamas and niyamas and elsewhere guide the experiences to be those that produce results. So scripture supplements or guides choices one can make. In other words, to live according to dharma.

well, i guess for me, experiential is better. books are wonderful guidelines and they make more sense after i've experienced them.
And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. - 1 John 4:16
Old 21-12-2014, 02:09 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tainamom
well, i guess for me, experiential is better. books are wonderful guidelines and they make more sense after i've experienced them.

Yes, there are certainly 'Aha' moments when you read about an experience you've already had.

"Oh, i get it now. That's what that was."
Old 09-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Suspended

The only books worth reading about this subject, or Yoga in particular, are the works of Sri Aurobindo and His Twinsoul Partner The Mother - they are referred to as Twinsoul Avatars. Guru's like sai baba and m.meera are basically self-deluded, and although they have some power, they're certainly not Avatars (l know because l've had experiences with both - but it's an astral not a Divine power IMO). Also, stay well clear of sri chinmoy, who is a complete charlatan, as is Osho (chinmoy and s.baba are dead now, anyway). Sri Aurobindo's 'Letters on Yoga' - four massive tomes, will answer all your questions. He's written interpretations of the Veda's, Gita and Upanishads as well, but His 'Letters' will answer everything. Anyway, His knowledge and Realisation go way beyond anything you'll find in Western esotericism, like Rosirucianism, Theosophy or Anthroposophy (steiner) etc..ln the end we follow the path we're destined for, l suppose..
You can find free PDF's of His books at the link below:

http://www.sriaurobindoashram.org/as...o/writings.php