Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 27-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Guide

Na Ma Si Va Ya has several levels to it. For just 2 examples, the 5 elements can be represented by each syllable, or Siva's 5 powers can be represented by each syllable. So the accompanying visualization as it's intoned may alter the results some. There is also silent, and with sound, and a couple of different orders. So, although it sounds simple, it can be more complicated with Guru instructions.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:45 AM
Ascender
Miss EmeraldEYES, can you please tell that if you have continued with your mantra practice after your post then on what stage have you reached now?
Old 09-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Deactivated Account

I agree that you don't need to know the meaning. I came across a song once which was a modern version of a mantra and in the chorus it was repeating "Hari om tat sat" and I had no idea what it meant but wow... the effect it had.. it still has. Incredible. Although now I know what it means because I looked it up

(I had to stop listening to it for a while though because it was having such a powerful effect on me.)
Old 09-10-2014, 07:06 PM
Ascender
Why do Sanskrit mantras still work even if one doesn't know the meaning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetruth

Dear ones, every word carries a vibration or signature that carries the meaning to your energetic center. Some languages have been manipulated to reduce the

power of word, others like Sanskrit still hold the original vibrational signature or meaning. It is the oldest languages that still hold this potent power or vibration, and

reflect more than just a mental image, rather a vibrational seed is planted within the sound. It is for this reason that mantras hold such power to concentrate the

mind toward a specific purpose, such as peace and devotion. These chants go beyond your literal interpretation, these are activated sounds of creative power to

accomplish a specific goal. The ancients, well aware of this power, have held onto these languages through the ages and it is why certain cultures have not lost

this direct communication with the divine. Therefore, when a chant is interpreted in another language, you are receiving the meaning of the words only, but the

seed sounds are missing. As a culture begins to lose, through thought of material living only, the importance of these mantras, the unity begins to unravel and a

significant source of power becomes lost. Therefore, have respect for these ancient mantras chants and devotional songs, they hold a key to your release from the

strictly logical or linear mode of thought, as these are able to transport you beyond your static mental states. There are so many ways to open your heart to

deeper awareness and this is but one, albeit, a powerful one. Sacred word, then contemplation, then action will move you beyond the limited human awareness to

the advanced awareness of your deepest nature as the divine. Many of you in the world have access to these tools through you internet connections, thus access

to Sanskrit chants mantras and devotional songs to help you break out of the material mold that has strangled spirituality in so many. All these present technologies

can be used in a positive or destructive manner, depending on the pull of your heart. It is well dear ones, to set aside time to deeply contemplate, meditate or

repeat seed mantras that shift the focus from the outer world to the inner realms. Especially use these before you go to sleep and before you rise in the morning,

to let these divine thoughts and words into you subconscious where they can have a positive influence on your life. Use whatever means that most move you,

sacred song, dance, it matters not, it is the intent of touching that deep cord within that is most important, that place that uplifts and awakens the divine God

within. Babaji

These beautiful words are of Babaji (Babaji mentioned in "Autobiography of a Yogi"), channelled by LoveTruth. Original post: http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=576744
Old 27-03-2015, 01:33 AM
Newbie ;)

kralaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kralaro
Miss EmeraldEYES, can you please tell that if you have continued with your mantra practice after your post then on what stage have you reached now?

Hi Kralaro,
I chanted "Om Namah Shivya" for a year straight. Everyday 108 times. I found that Lord Shiva swept me off my feet and took care of me anytime my life was in despair. Every time, I wanted something to change in my life lord shiva would take care of me when the time was right. I realized this through immense signs that Shiva would speak to me in, along with strong synchronicity. I also noticed an elemental factor in which anytime I would call upon Lord shiva and chant his mantra, when I wanted an an answer about my life Shiva would physically make the rain pour on me.. That is right.. My ex boyfriend noticed this too. He told me that is rained every time I would appear around him. After time I realized it would rain when I would chant with strong spiritual devotion. Also, Since I have chanted I have had spontaneous kundalini awakening. I can't say I like this so much because I live in NYC and it can be very frightening.
Old 28-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldEYES
Hi Kralaro,
I chanted "Om Namah Shivya" for a year straight. Everyday 108 times. I found that Lord Shiva swept me off my feet and took care of me anytime my life was in despair. Every time, I wanted something to change in my life lord shiva would take care of me when the time was right. I realized this through immense signs that Shiva would speak to me in, along with strong synchronicity. I also noticed an elemental factor in which anytime I would call upon Lord shiva and chant his mantra, when I wanted an an answer about my life Shiva would physically make the rain pour on me.. That is right.. My ex boyfriend noticed this too. He told me that is rained every time I would appear around him. After time I realized it would rain when I would chant with strong spiritual devotion. Also, Since I have chanted I have had spontaneous kundalini awakening. I can't say I like this so much because I live in NYC and it can be very frightening.
Thank you EmeraldEYES. What you've shared is amazing.

Can you please also share:
Were you initiated (given deeksha) into "Om Namah Shivya" by someone?
In your opinion, is it the number of chants that count or something else? (Since I just completed 108 times "Om Namah Shivay" within 2 minutes). In your opinion, is doing 40 rounds in a single day same as doing 1 round everyday for 40 days?

Others can also share their point of view, and can also share their mantra experience. I've already read the thread: "How powerful are the Om Nama Shivaya mantra?".
Old 28-03-2015, 03:19 PM
Guide

In the tradition I was initiated into, two minutes for 108 would be way too fast. We'd call this as 'speed japa' . Of course a different tradition might actually initiate that way. I wouldn't know. But the pacing in mine would be like if you're walking at a normal rate, and each syllable is said with each step ... Na Ma Si Va Ya ... and it's sometimes actually done this way, called a japa walk. Anywhere from 7 to 10 minutes would be 'normal'.
Old 28-03-2015, 08:55 PM
Guide

Just to add a bit about experience ... in this tradition the initiation is also a lifetime vow for at least once a day. I'm near to 30 years now. As for what it has or hasn't done, there is no way to actually know, as you can't go back and re-live your life over while not doing something. I FEEL that it has had immense benefit, but that's faith talking, not necessarily logic.
Old 30-03-2015, 01:07 AM
Newbie ;)

"Thank you EmeraldEYES. What you've shared is amazing.

Can you please also share:
Were you initiated (given deeksha) into "Om Namah Shivya" by someone?
In your opinion, is it the number of chants that count or something else? (Since I just completed 108 times "Om Namah Shivay" within 2 minutes). In your opinion, is doing 40 rounds in a single day same as doing 1 round everyday for 40 days?

Others can also share their point of view, and can also share their mantra experience. I've already read the thread: "How powerful are the Om Nama Shivaya mantra?"."

Hi Kralaro,
This might sound weird... I, at 21 years old experienced a spontaneous kundalini awakening upon meeting one of my soul mates. I had no idea what was happening to me or what was going on. It was like having schizophrenic experiences along with complete psychic awareness, it was frightening and liberating. Lets just say at this point in my life I was waiting for a guru to arrive because I needed serious help. A close of mine friend came into my life (he was an avid hindu practitioner, who sat in mediation like a monk for most of his days).
He is the one who initiated me, gave me the mantra, sat with me everyday for 2 months in mediation twice a day chanting one round 108 times in the morning and the other round 108 times at night. I was also given a new name "Dakshina". I was named after Kali in one of her fiercest formed DaksinaKali. This is the form of Kali killing demons and anything that comes before her in the killing field. Only when SHIVA throws himself before her something awakens in her and she is able to stop. SHIVA was the only one who was able to tame her. Dakshina also directly translates to "the gift". It resembles the student bringing "the gift" back to the guru. I was not initiated in a traditional. Eventually the student learns the the actual person is not the guru. The guru shows up in many different ways. Anyone that puts forth spiritual devotion along with chanting a guru will come forth in one way or another. It is good to have guidance in the beginning to what what you are doing.

In my opinion about chanting, two minutes is far to short. Usually, it takes me 15 to 20 minutes to chant "OM NAMAH SHVAYA". Ideally I believe it is good to chant once in the morning and once at night 108 times each. However in todays busy world a lot of people do not have time for that. While you are chanting you should picture shiva in your third eye combined with a yearning and love for him. Just "know" that he will take care of you. You need to at least chant shivas mantra 108 time in the time period of 24 hrs. This is enough to keep the energy around you and your vibration aligned. In my option doing 1 round 108 times a day for 40 days with your time and devotion should be enough. The most important thing in combination with chanting is breathing properly, spiritual devotion, the right pronunciation, picturing shiva in your third eye... And if you want to sit in lotus with you spine straight ;)
Old 30-03-2015, 01:48 AM
Knower
If you are drawn to that mantra, just do it. It intuitively guides one through the process of creation, to unitary consciousness, and then beyond consciousness itself. Just do it.