Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 23-12-2017, 02:22 PM
Master
I am a priest.
Wearing my robes, my prayer beads in my left hand, I ride my bicycle.
I go from house to parishioner's house and chant sutra.
I am a priest.
I have a wife, I have a child.
I drink sake, I eat meat.
I eat fish, I lie.
And still, I am a priest.
A dirty, too dirty, priest.
When I call upon parishioners and accept their donations,
is that not theft?
Oh, the five precepts that Shakyamuni kept,
I have broken them all.
But yet, I am a bodhisattva.
I travel the path of the bodhisattva.
I have faith in the Dharma, I sit in the palm of the Law.
I live in the Dharma, I live amongst the people.
Within endless life, I practice the way.
Hand in hand with other practitioners, I proceed down
this peaceful path, this path without equal
the path of Truth, the bodhisattva path.
I am filthy, and I have broken all of the five precepts but,
but, because of the Dharma, all will become Buddhas.
That path, that bodhisattva path.
I am standing on that path.

This made me
Old 23-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
I am a priest.
Wearing my robes, my prayer beads in my left hand, I ride my bicycle.
I go from house to parishioner's house and chant sutra.
I am a priest.
I have a wife, I have a child.
I drink sake, I eat meat.
I eat fish, I lie.
And still, I am a priest.
A dirty, too dirty, priest.
When I call upon parishioners and accept their donations,
is that not theft?
Oh, the five precepts that Shakyamuni kept,
I have broken them all.
But yet, I am a bodhisattva.
I travel the path of the bodhisattva.
I have faith in the Dharma, I sit in the palm of the Law.
I live in the Dharma, I live amongst the people.
Within endless life, I practice the way.
Hand in hand with other practitioners, I proceed down
this peaceful path, this path without equal
the path of Truth, the bodhisattva path.
I am filthy, and I have broken all of the five precepts but,
but, because of the Dharma, all will become Buddhas.
That path, that bodhisattva path.
I am standing on that path.

This made me

But who wrote it?
Old 23-12-2017, 02:52 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
But who wrote it?

It's from the book and written by a Monk.
'Japanese Temple Buddhism: Worldliness in a Religion of Renunciation '
Old 23-12-2017, 03:05 PM
Master
"Now I will tell you the layman's duty. Following it a lay-disciple would be virtuous; for it is not possible for one occupied with the household life to realize the complete bhikkhu practice (dhamma).

"He should not kill a living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should he incite another to kill. Do not injure any being, either strong or weak, in the world.

"A disciple should avoid taking anything from anywhere knowing it (to belong to another). He should not steal nor incite another to steal. He should completely avoid theft.

"A wise man should avoid unchastity as (he would avoid falling into) a pit of glowing charcoal. If unable to lead a celibate life, he should not go to another's wife.

"Having entered a royal court or a company of people he should not speak lies. He should not speak lies (himself) nor incite others to do so. He should completely avoid falsehood.

"A layman who has chosen to practice this Dhamma should not indulge in the drinking of intoxicants. He should not drink them nor encourage others to do so; realizing that it leads to madness. Through intoxication foolish people perform evil deeds and cause other heedless people to do likewise. He should avoid intoxication, this occasion for demerit, which stupefies the mind, and is the pleasure of foolish people.

'Dhammika Sutta '

this is all I have found up to now.
Old 23-12-2017, 05:07 PM
Experiencer

Hi Folks..

Sky;
Quote:
These things could become attachments and aversions in our mind, also they might distract our mind from seeing things as they truly are.

lol - I was just re reading the thread - saw the part again about "not watching plays", and immediately realised this time, of course don't watch it, don't get involved in it, don't get ATTACHED to it lol - then lo and behold I scroll down and there You are , explaining it clearly for me also...

Gem;
Quote:
It's a rule that monks can't eat after midday.

Can you tell me, why it is a rule though..?...What does it aim to achieve or prevent..??.. ( Im sure it must be to do with our intenal energetic cycle ??)

Quote:
Maybe cuz it's a bunch of silly rules, but monks have quite austere lives, and that's how they like it.

Hmm - may seem silly at the surface, to a layman like Me - but that's what I mean above - underneath there sure is a legitimate reason why such things would be stipulated....Id very much like to uncover that deeper reasoning...

Quote:
I think precepts for the monkhood number more than a hundred.

How des this actually work in the real world though..?.. For instance, lets say I wanted to become a proper monk - Id have to then, have these precepts in place - but how is it judged..?...can I just SAY that I "agree" to the precepts, and that would be enough credentials..?...or is it a case where another must say they witness the precepts already present in my character, and so THEY decide if Im ready to progress..??.. ( the second option would seem more genuine to my mind)..

I mean - commandment - hmm - doesnt seem to fit somehow - but precept..?...surely means I must ALREADY have that attribute..??..

Sky; That passage you quoted - the monks actual life..?...lol...sounds EXACTLY like my own daily life right now...lol...except of course I don't have "parishioners" but there are plenty around who are in need - and I don't take a donation of course lol - though I may share their tea and a smoke for my time

Be in the world but not OF the world my Mate would say - as usual, my Christ and your Buddha have a LOT in common...

Oh wow - I read the final post - the laymans approach - and again this could have been written directly about ME..lol....I hold all those truths as my core identity - core Self Honour - crucial....These things were revealed from the Inner process and became Self evident, undeniable, foundational.. This is the Light within that my mate revealed.. Find that truth, stand by it always He says, and again, here is Buddha teaching of the exact same real world situation
Old 23-12-2017, 05:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab Origine
Hi Folks..

Sky;

lol - I was just re reading the thread - saw the part again about "not watching plays", and immediately realised this time, of course don't watch it, don't get involved in it, don't get ATTACHED to it lol - then lo and behold I scroll down and there You are , explaining it clearly for me also...

Gem;

Can you tell me, why it is a rule though..?...What does it aim to achieve or prevent..??.. ( Im sure it must be to do with our intenal energetic cycle ??)

Hmm - may seem silly at the surface, to a layman like Me - but that's what I mean above - underneath there sure is a legitimate reason why such things would be stipulated....Id very much like to uncover that deeper reasoning...

How des this actually work in the real world though..?.. For instance, lets say I wanted to become a proper monk - Id have to then, have these precepts in place - but how is it judged..?...can I just SAY that I "agree" to the precepts, and that would be enough credentials..?...or is it a case where another must say they witness the precepts already present in my character, and so THEY decide if Im ready to progress..??.. ( the second option would seem more genuine to my mind)..

I mean - commandment - hmm - doesnt seem to fit somehow - but precept..?...surely means I must ALREADY have that attribute..??..

Sky; That passage you quoted - the monks actual life..?...lol...sounds EXACTLY like my own daily life right now...lol...except of course I don't have "parishioners" but there are plenty around who are in need - and I don't take a donation of course lol - though I may share their tea and a smoke for my time

Be in the world but not OF the world my Mate would say - as usual, my Christ and your Buddha have a LOT in common...

Oh wow - I read the final post - the laymans approach - and again this could have been written directly about ME..lol....I hold all those truths as my core identity - core Self Honour - crucial....These things were revealed from the Inner process and became Self evident, undeniable, foundational.. This is the Light within that my mate revealed.. Find that truth, stand by it always He says, and again, here is Buddha teaching of the exact same real world situation

Keep telling you, you sound like a Buddhist... minus the ciggies
But we have to remember.... Buddha and Jesus are Brothers...

Regarding eating after noon. I can only think it has something to do with many many moons ago when Monks walked around villages with their begging bowls and they would recieve whatever food was left over from the villagers previous evening meal, take it back to the Temples and eat. Sometimes these rules are carried on when they really are irrelevant today...I know that some do eat an evening meal because I have sat with some sharing a meal...
Old 23-12-2017, 05:56 PM
Master
Alcohol in Buddhism.

Some Tibetan Buddhist Schools do incorporate drinking alcohol in some ceremonies... so it does seem not all precepts are important when it suits....
Mybe it's called ' mindfull drinking '
Old 23-12-2017, 08:22 PM
Experiencer

Hi Folks...

Sky;
Quote:
Some Tibetan Buddhist Schools do incorporate drinking alcohol in some ceremonies... so it does seem not all precepts are important when it suits....
Mybe it's called ' mindfull drinking

now that is bloody hilarious haven't heard anything so funny since I read that fantasy thread on the Christian forum...lol...

These precepts though - get me thinking - its all about MIND isn't it..?? - accessing that inner Presence - the ENERGY it brings - the energy it "is"......

Im sure behind them all, is a knowledge and wisdom of the subtle energy, its affects and how to best bring it forth... From my own experience for example, I know that if my belly is too full, I simply cannot meditate effectively for some reason - but if I haven't eaten for a few hours, trance is easy to enter.. Similar, the position of the body - asana ? .. Im not sure how it relates to Buddhist tradition, but I know again from my own experiences that the way Im laying the manner and the orientation, all affect my inner tranquillity - and Im thinking here things such as, height of the bed then, its size etc may be related to this inner process and its cultivation or hinderance..

Im convinced actually that behind all these little nuggets of wisdom, contained in all spiritual sayings and traditions, lays a universal metaphysical truth - and if we can just retrace the symbology we will find that treasure anew..
Old 23-12-2017, 08:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Hi Folks...

Sky;

now that is bloody hilarious haven't heard anything so funny since I read that fantasy thread on the Christian forum...lol...

These precepts though - get me thinking - its all about MIND isn't it..?? - accessing that inner Presence - the ENERGY it brings - the energy it "is"......

Im sure behind them all, is a knowledge and wisdom of the subtle energy, its affects and how to best bring it forth... From my own experience for example, I know that if my belly is too full, I simply cannot meditate effectively for some reason - but if I haven't eaten for a few hours, trance is easy to enter.. Similar, the position of the body - asana ? .. Im not sure how it relates to Buddhist tradition, but I know again from my own experiences that the way Im laying the manner and the orientation, all affect my inner tranquillity - and Im thinking here things such as, height of the bed then, its size etc may be related to this inner process and its cultivation or hinderance..

Im convinced actually that behind all these little nuggets of wisdom, contained in all spiritual sayings and traditions, lays a universal metaphysical truth - and if we can just retrace the symbology we will find that treasure anew..

Well aren't you a breath of fresh air...

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 23-12-2017, 10:01 PM
Master
Quote:
Hi Folks..

Sky;

Gem;

It helps to prevent drowsiness at the evening dhamma teachings, is better for the early morning meditation, and I guess the logic is, you don't need the energy for sleeping, so why waste the food?

Quote:

To the laymen like us or early novices there is just the first 5 precepts, and if you advance a little in formal meditation practice then there are 8, adding no food after midday, no adornment or perfume, no luxurious bedding.[/quote]

The adornment is for vanity, Ie worn to impress or signify something to others, so two reasons, first because of the vanity and second distracting others by drawing their attention. The meditation involves breathing through the nostrils, and perfumes are particularly distracting.

The bedding is more about luxurious bedding, as in the meditation it's ok to be comfortable, but not to turn to comfortable sensations for emotional comfort.

Quote:

You generally have to demonstrate behaving according to precepts to undertake the more advanced practices of the monkhood.

Quote:

Precept just means a rule that guides conduct. Commandments are what God ave Moses. Precepts help to create the conditions which are either necessary or assist with the meditation.

Quote:

Yes, the first five are basic guidelines to good conduct, but the implications of virtue are deeper than obedience.

Last edited by Gem : 23-12-2017 at 11:22 PM.