Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 08-01-2018, 02:03 AM
Master

"Living in the present"?

It may sound like heresy to some, but "living in the present" seems to me inflicting a "numbing of the mind". Could this be a / the reason for which we incarnated here? It doesn't seem likely. Some gurus call for "taming of the mind", but I believe that they miss the point, and a more likely purpose is "training of the mind". We need to get better at creating reality, not at idling our creativity.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:54 PM
Master
If you do not control your mind your mind will control you. We control our minds by filtering our thoughts, but living in the moment is all about being where we exist; we can only exist in the moment, and the mind, thoughts, etc., are projections, or reflections, on the past and future; even if it was just a minute or two into the future or past. The relationship which we have with our soul/ deeper being, or whatever one might want to call that innermost self, can truly only exist in the here and now; in the moment. We miss out on the moment when we get lost in our thoughts.

Thoughts are a tool which we must learn how to use; most people think in flat, ill defined, pictures. I learned this when I worked in the mental health field. Quieting our thoughts can keep our thoughts fresh and we can learn how to think in well defined, color, 3-dimensional, pictures that contain all of the 5-senses. It is not only gurus that advocate this; the Hebrew Kabbalah has lessons on quieting your mind and how to develop more precise thinking. These techniques are also now used by many mental health therapists when working with people who have PTSD, anxiety disorders, or thought disorders, etc.

But the bottom-line for me is that we give our energy to our thoughts and there is this ongoing internal dialogue which never stops for most people; and we condition ourselves with that internal dialogue. It is as an affirmation. Quieting my thoughts conserves and builds up my energy, it also helps to keep me sane and not so impulsive, reacting to thoughts, as well as it helps me to get in touch with deeper parts of my own being that exist beyond thought. I have been doing quiet meditation for more than 40-years and I do not feel any numbness from living in the moment; but then again, I have learned not to overly judge my meditation experience.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:07 PM
Master

I agree with Starman.

Living in the present is actually living with greater awareness, and a greater ability to respond to whatever presents itself.

The mind is still present, and still available as a tool to be used, but the incessant internal mental chatter is diminished. We can then create our reality more effectively, instead of being distracted by every passing thought.

Peace.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
It may sound like heresy to some, but "living in the present" seems to me inflicting a "numbing of the mind". Could this be a / the reason for which we incarnated here? It doesn't seem likely. Some gurus call for "taming of the mind", but I believe that they miss the point, and a more likely purpose is "training of the mind". We need to get better at creating reality, not at idling our creativity.

You sound like the mind. haha. or someone controlled by the mind

"no, no, no, don't get rid of me! I can help you so much! you need meeeee"

no mind, just no.

lol

so there are sages who have been meditating for 30 years, like 8 hours or more a day. but apparently you think you know better than them? because you have a feeling?

just think about that.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:19 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivatar
You sound like the mind. haha. or someone controlled by the mind

"no, no, no, don't get rid of me! I can help you so much! you need meeeee"

no mind, just no.

lol

so there are sages who have been meditating for 30 years, like 8 hours or more a day. but apparently you think you know better than them? because you have a feeling?

just think about that.

:)

I'm not saying that I know better than those 30*365*8+ meditation hours sages. But it doesn't mean that after all that meditation time they do necessarily know better than me either.

"Living in present" is merely a means to an end.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:24 PM
Master
Quote:
I think that no one knows "why" we incarnated here or even what it is "we" were before being incarnated or even if we incarnated. So if we push that off to be something we are not sure about, then we are left with why do some say it is important to live in the present and why do some say it's important to tame the mind.
Only you can answer those questions but I think it's enough to just be open minded to such things while keeping true to what you believe.
Personally I found it impossible to try and be present and I also find that everything goes back to the mind. When I answered all my questions, I found myself left with a presence that is less influenced by a mind looking at it for answers.

The cessation of identifying with the fluctuations arising within consciousness
Old 10-01-2018, 02:27 AM
Master
Quote:

Hi inavalan,

This may not be the most "spiritual" response, but I came across something that makes sense to me.

Living in the past may lead to depression, living in the future may lead to anxiety, living in the present brings focus.

Not saying this is true for everyone, just for me it got me thinking.

When holding onto the past what occurs in the Mind? For me can fill up with should of, could of, and would of. Can lead into regrets or shame if reflecting too much on unfulfilled desires or past acts that caused harm. So, seem to repeat these thoughts and wham get depressed.

When holding onto the future and what all could happen can place pressure upon myself. Can form into worries and anxiety.

Each holding seems unproductive if held onto too long and distracts from the present. Looking at what I can and letting go of what I can not. Creating ways to form ways to redirect my thoughts.

So, yeah it is in a way retraining the mind. Not eliminating what the past has brought or the potentials that may lie in the future. More like placing things in their proper place. Bringing understanding to what has occurred and what I am able to do. All happening, or can occur in the mind at present if noticed and focused upon.

It is not numbing, but bringing focus to the mind as I see it. Which includes all that has been, will be, and is being at present. Each having their place as they pass, have yet to be, and occurring.

May have gone on a bit, but that the way it comes to me at present.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:31 PM
boshy b. good

how do we wake up and learn the art of non sufferment at about walking forward as the best
bet, even if things ragaport, i suggest no one stops the very us from walking forward at any
ever now and we are nice about us, that's a great combination we aught might keep at the
moment. stuff that happens is a slider.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:19 PM
Master

When you try to control the mind you are in a mindset of controlling your life, so the mind tries to control everything. All of a sudden you are in this battle of trying to control something that tries to control you, and now we have an Ego entering the equation... when really there is only your own struggle with yourself. Let go of the struggle, and there is no need for control. Free the mind you might rather say, and live free in the beauty of your Heart (that loves all things)
Old 12-01-2018, 07:26 PM
traceyacey12

for some reason, what you say about living in the present being an means to an end makes a lot of sense.

I don't know if its that I am controlled by my mind but find just "living in the present" in the sense that you're fully engrossed by only what is in front of you at the moment dissatisfying. We (or at least I) need context to enjoy the present moment and I think the past and future do that, if that makes any sense.