Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 19-05-2015, 06:21 AM
Experiencer

general rules

I know the general rules, similar to most religions and sacred places. However, what does one do, can expect, when visiting a temple? I know to dress modestly, be respectful, stay lower than statues, etc.

Are there services? Are there one on one audiences with elders/monks? Is it an all by oneself experience or perhaps group times?
Old 19-05-2015, 09:32 AM
Suspended
It very much varies. Some temples will not have much going on apart from during festivals, while others will have daily rituals and meditation periods.

As long as you are respectful to the monks then I am sure you will gain a lot from visiting a temple. After getting to know some of the monks I think you can have consultations at a later time. In my experience, they are quite open and friendly.
Old 19-05-2015, 09:43 AM
celest

When I visit a Temple, we have always been asked to remove your shoes, no other rules.
Old 20-05-2015, 09:25 PM
Experiencer

etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by celest
When I visit a Temple, we have always been asked to remove your shoes, no other rules.

http://goseasia.about.com/od/travelp...st_temples.htm

http://www.thranguhk.org/buddhism/en...?keepThis=true
Old 20-05-2015, 09:32 PM
Experiencer

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsoul
It very much varies. Some temples will not have much going on apart from during festivals, while others will have daily rituals and meditation periods.

As long as you are respectful to the monks then I am sure you will gain a lot from visiting a temple. After getting to know some of the monks I think you can have consultations at a later time. In my experience, they are quite open and friendly.

I can meditate at home or exchange with people, like this, via the internet. I am interested in Buddhism but prefer interaction and want to have live and offline experiences with others. I'm now surrounded by people very different than who I am.
Old 21-05-2015, 07:13 AM
celest

Birds, different temples, different countries, different rules.
I have visited a temple every week for a few years and the only rule is to remove your shoes. Of course you should be respectful in how you dress and behave but this should be common sense not a rule.
Old 21-05-2015, 09:12 AM
Ascender

The only thing I could add to the above advice is that if it's a Thai temple don't point your feet towards statues or monks/nuns. Also don't touch an ordained person of the opposite sex, even a seemingly harmless handshake done in sight of other people is a problem & don't touch anyone's head under any circumstance ie ruffling a kids hair. Apart from that common sense should get you through.
Old 23-05-2015, 03:55 AM
Experiencer

general rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by celest
Birds, different temples, different countries, different rules.
I have visited a temple every week for a few years and the only rule is to remove your shoes. Of course you should be respectful in how you dress and behave but this should be common sense not a rule.

That's why I added the word general to the topic. I could have italicized it. Most of it is about common sense and respect which too many modern people lack in general but even when visiting a church, temple, or the like.

Maybe you've just been following the rules and didn't realize it. I wouldn't have known about the feet issue. Christians can also touch their pastors, preachers, etc. I wouldn't have attempted to touch a monk but it's good to know about that rule.

I'm in the US. I've yet to visit a temple. I've been sent signs, feeling a tug, and researching a bit regarding Buddhism for awhile now. I recently too discovered, yet another sign, a Vietnamese Buddhist temple that I've driven by a few times while visiting others. The large golden statue outside is interesting. I want to go inside but not just to stand there or appear like a museum gawker.

I'm not around any other Earthly humans that aren't of another religion, would be open to it, and/or mindful of the practices and experience. I don't just want to stand there alone. I can do my own thing here. I though feel so drawn lately that something may happen even during my first visit.

I'm open to all advice, ideas, etc.
Old 31-05-2015, 02:22 AM
Experiencer

info

Thanks for the replies and I also found the comments on another website helpful. I knew I wasn't the only one with the question. Here's the comments people posted to another's question.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Buddhism/com...emple_for_the/

They too mention the different types and differences in formalities.
The Vietnamese one is the only one within current comfortable driving distance for me. I wonder which type they are. It doesn't state on anything I can find but will follow all the formal rules just in case.
Anyone know which sect the Vietnamese generally are?
Old 31-05-2015, 03:43 AM
Ascender

Generally Vietnamese buddhism is mahayana. Quite often similar to chinese , a hybrid of pureland /zen. Thich Nat Hanh is Vietnamese, you should enjoy it if it's anything like his sect.