Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Affirmations > Manifesting, Creating, & The Law of Attraction

Old 26-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Master
The REAL dark side of The Law of Attraction

The title of a recent thread "the dark side of the law of attraction" reminded me of an article that sheds light on a commonly overlooked aspect of the teachings of the law of attraction, particularly along the lines of works like The Secret.

Essentially the idea is that these teachings are a form of spiritual materialism, in that they tend to exacerbate a person's sensual and materialistic desires, exaggerate a person's sense of ego, and encourage the fulfillment of the ego's desires without taking into consideration the often times unwholesome, unskillful, and harmful attachments and delusions that influence the ego's perceptions and cravings.

I believe it is important to understand that most of our desires for sensual and material-based happiness arise from unwholesome attachments, aversions, and delusions, and we must look past these temporary and unsatisfactory sources of pleasure and focus on acquiring unconditioned and lasing happiness through the practice of purifying the mind and eradicating our ignorance.

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.stuartdavis.com/blog/secret-spirituality-narcissism-0

Here is (a short quotation from) the article:

[quote]It's all the rage. The book and movie have garnered the enthusiasm of millions. Everyone from Oprah to Montel is extolling Rhonda Byrne's spiritual juggernaut. The premise of The Secret is simple; The power of attraction. Like attracts like. What we think, what we feel, acts as a magnetic signal, attracting its correlate from the Universe.......

(Edited by SF Staff.)
Old 26-12-2014, 07:37 PM
Guide

Hmm it seems to me that the law of attraction can be used for materialistic and sensual ends if that is your choice. At the same time it can also be used for more spiritual purposes if this is your preference.

It is a neutral law. How it is used is up to each individual.
Old 27-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charly233
Hmm it seems to me that the law of attraction can be used for materialistic and sensual ends if that is your choice.
At the same time it can also be used for more spiritual purposes if this is your preference.

It is a neutral law. How it is used is up to each individual.
Gravity has also been used for terrible things...
Watch out guys!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist, Vince. It was a good post.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 27-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Master
yes, Vince...it's all part of the ugly face of "new age".
Old 27-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Master
Yes, obviously the "law of attraction" can be used both skillfully and unskillfully.

The point here is that a majority of the LOA teachings out there focus on materialistic gain and do not take into consideration the fact that most of our ego's desires, whether for sensual pleasure or spiritual attainments, arise from an impure mind blinded by it's own defilements.

The question we should be asking ourselves first and foremost is not "How can I manifest my desires," but rather, "How can I purify my mind so that my desires are in alignment with the greatest good for both myself and others."
Old 27-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Master
As far as I'm concerned the essential teachings of the secret are valid in respect of the overall development of humanity because alongside the fulfilling of desires of a materialistic nature people become aware of the role of thoughts and feelings as being fundamental to a peaceful existence.

So while it might be worrisome that initially these people are lulled into a false sense of security by learning these laws they cannot get away from the reality of the higher principles involved and these will come to the fore whether they want it or not because the whole vibration is there in the asking so the whole lesson will arrive.

There is no dark side to the law of attraction but there may very well be unintended consequences as the lower vibrational aspects shape the material after it arrives and gives people a fuller picture of themselves as responsible beings.
Old 27-12-2014, 07:01 PM
KevinO

The law of attraction is the old, old power of positive thinking theory dressed up in a shiny new suit. It is as true as you want it to be and as false as you want it to be, just like everything else.
It might be more useful to learn how this place really works if you want freedom, but if you want to believe in something that sounds good despite logical impossibility, so be it.
Old 24-01-2015, 05:02 AM
Experiencer
Well, the point is, that you have to feel pretty good most of the time to attract, what you want into your life. If you feel good, you won't be attracted to dark deeds.
As far as money goes - it is not spiritual to be poor or to be rich. Living life is spiritual. Period. You don't have to meditate or read very serious books to be spiritual. I think, when you talk about materialism, you mean people, who are insecure and think that money will give them security and happiness. But with LOA there is a trick - we have to feel secure and happy first, before we get what we want, and by then we already know - our thoughts and attitude is what makes us happy and secure, not anything or anyone in our reality. Even if often we use them as our excuses to feel good.
Old 30-01-2015, 11:29 AM
AllenD

There is no good or bad only choice, a choice of belief, a choice of what to believe is REAL.

Everything is spiritual including materialistic matter.

However there is a dark side to the law of attraction and it is the miss use of it, not using it correctly.

You attract what you ARE right now therefore:
You attract the opposite of what you WANT!!!

I had many very dark periods before unlocking this secret, and as I see it, right now still there are only few who understand it.
Old 30-01-2015, 02:00 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenD

You attract what you ARE right now therefore:
You attract the opposite of what you WANT!!!

This erroneously assumes that who you are is always the opposite of what you want.

If this were the case, there would be no change. We would always just attract more of the same, more of the opposite of what we want.

What happens when a person decides to change who they are, how they think, what they believe? What they are right now changes, and therefore, the nature of what they attract changes.