Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 02-05-2017, 04:58 PM
Experiencer

As one who lived through the "hippy era" (I started college in 1967...the year of the Summer Of Love), looking back at that era it has little to do with the reality of the meaning of the word 'hippy' compared to the concept today.

The root word of 'hippy' is 'hip'. 'Hip' means you're wise to what's happening in the world around us. The word 'hippy' was merely a label tagged onto people and movements that were contrary to established mores and politics at the time. Those movements were comprised mostly of college students and any young person (and yes, sometimes even old people) who were concerned with what was going on in the world...war, social injustice and materialism...and rejecting the ills brought on by those things.
Started by the Beat Generation (beatniks) became the Hippy Movement. The Beat Generation were thinkers, philosophers, contemplation of existence expressing themselves in song an poetry. Enter the Viet Nam War. Great protest was started in universities and college by well educated professors and Ivy League students. It grew from there, and many negative things were fused with it by the news media that appealed to the general youth.

The first time I can remember hearing the word "hippy" was in a song by a R&B group The Orlons called "South Street". "Where do all the hippies meet? South Street, South Street...Where the dancing is elite...South Street, South Street". This was in 1962 when the Beat Generation was still the label, and in the song the meaning of 'hippy' had only to do with those who knew what was cool concerning the latest dances and fashions.

So, 'hippy' is just a label with memes attached to it. Those memes can be good or bad...depending on which ones one chooses to attach to it.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:52 PM
Master

I liked the MC5's attitude towards hippies. **** them off and make their ears bleed lol.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:11 PM
Newbie ;)
Master
Color I'm Hip Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARDAV70
The root word of 'hippy' is 'hip'. 'Hip' means you're wise to what's happening in the world around us.

I agree Mardav's assessment as being the most correct. You could see it in movies when one dude, or dudette, states this or that, to the other and that dude-dudette would reply 'yeah man, I'm hip dude' meaning the are aware of whats happening, whats going down etc irrespective if it is local, nationwide or global events.

r6

"My education has been of my biggest impediments to my learning"...A. Einstein

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."...R Feynman
Old 02-05-2017, 11:19 PM
Suspended
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
I liked the MC5's attitude towards hippies. **** them off and make their ears bleed lol.
Hello,
Only because MC5's music was obsolete,and unwanted so they need someone/something to blame,99% of folk always need a scapegoat for their lack of "**** music sales".
The Stooges were a better band,but Motor City 5 ( MC 5 ) just didn't get the sales and airplay they needed,so blame the " hippies" derived from the word "hip"! Bob Dylan, Joan Bayez, etc,etc, put bands like MC5 on the buying publics back burner list,no sales means no contract,I am a big big fan of the Detroit music scene, in particular Ted Nugent,and am still a 64 year old Australian hippy!

Kind Regards Billy
Old 03-05-2017, 03:07 AM
Master
Hey.. this is grooving.

I'm not a hipster, a hippie at heart I am!

I am a child of the 70's, long hair was still cool back then, good sid was still out there, and mind expansion was amazing.

And society was screwed. What's changed?

The get ahead worldddddd.

I have long hair once again, been growing it out after all these years. I still have it.

Living small, it's the new hip!

And Korea is back in the news, is this a time warp?
Old 03-05-2017, 11:17 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEmbers
I aways took the word 'hippy' as a compliment hahaha... how naive of me!

Recently I have correlated the word to mean to other's to mean "naive", living in a fantasy land... not based in reality ect.

People often say things like " I was a hippy once but... xyz happened and now I live in reality"
"Now I am just like the rest of them, playing the game".

I've met hippies who play the game and I've met "reformed hippies" who also play the game.

Somehow I decided to be authentic but suspicious folk seem to form the perception that I am also playing the game... perhaps I am... perhaps we all are to some degree... but... mostly I just feel like
A delinquint drop out

I remember "passing through" the hippy aspect in myself. It was more coming into being more open and "free spirited". I was feeling more myself, open and clear to express and create, less inhibited by the conditioned self. It was a great turning point all the same. I began creating stuff in places that no one else was game enough to do. I got down to the nitty gritty of myself and let it out. For some it was like "shock value" ...I didn't care, I was free as a bird..hehehe.

Of course over the years I tamed it down, had to learn and integrate some valuable lessons in all that "opening" in myself. So being open it all comes flooding in to notice and clear out without fear in place.. I like dressing like a bohemian and hippy at times (most often)..Getting back to my more open natural self, I kind of look at my whole life creation from a more authentic expression, without fear in place.

And of course I haven't lost that through the integration process, it has simply deepened and grounded me stronger as a free spirit, which was freed me up to be more true to myself in everyway of my own creation.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 04-05-2017, 03:39 AM
Master
A free spirit, that's the "word".

How can a person be true to themselves as "free spirit" when the struggle to get by is ever-present and pressing.

That's reality.

Then even hippies conform.

But I love having long hair.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:57 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake
Hello,
Only because MC5's music was obsolete,and unwanted so they need someone/something to blame,99% of folk always need a scapegoat for their lack of "**** music sales".
The Stooges were a better band,but Motor City 5 ( MC 5 ) just didn't get the sales and airplay they needed,so blame the " hippies" derived from the word "hip"! Bob Dylan, Joan Bayez, etc,etc, put bands like MC5 on the buying publics back burner list,no sales means no contract,I am a big big fan of the Detroit music scene, in particular Ted Nugent,and am still a 64 year old Australian hippy!

Kind Regards Billy
I hear there was a lot of punks vs. stoners(semi-hippies) in the 70's. Maybe this started it all!
Old 04-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Suspended
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
I hear there was a lot of punks vs. stoners(semi-hippies) in the 70's. Maybe this started it all!

Hello,
Do you know I have 37 Jimi Hendrix LP's,all at my sisters house in Sydney,all his early stuff with Curtis Knight and different sets of European imports,just thought I would mention that because of your signature!

Kind Regards Billy.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:27 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake
Hello,
Do you know I have 37 Jimi Hendrix LP's,all at my sisters house in Sydney,all his early stuff with Curtis Knight and different sets of European imports,just thought I would mention that because of your signature!

Kind Regards Billy.
That's a crazy collection! The only LP I have is Cry of Love, used to trip acid to it back in the day lol.