Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 14-07-2013, 07:10 PM
Pathfinder

Self-santification

Motivation is the key component when it comes to self-sanctification. Do we have a self-sanctification in the positive sense of separating ourselves from those things we know that are not good for us or not good for others, not in order to merit any more righteousness before God through that performance, but in light of all that God has already made us to be IN Christ (Our new identity). On the opposite end of that self-sanctification spectrum, we have those who suppose that their behavior is the source of their right standing with God, that is self-sanctification negatively. They suppose that becoming more righteous in practice will make them more righteous in God’s sight, faulty thinking on their part, Paul called it foolish. It will not gain them Heaven, it will not help them avoid the second death. Paul lets us know that in the book of Romans that God did not make Heaven for good people, God made Heaven for sinners who are justified freely by God’s grace. Paul did not set himself apart in order to gain a greater righteousness before God through his performance, but that he made his life-style (to the best he could) conform to who God had already made him to be in his sanctified or set-apart position being joined to Christ that he might more affectively reach others. That was Paul’s key motivation; there is a vast difference in those two motivations. Setting oneself apart for holiness is one thing, setting oneself apart because of the holy standing God has already given that individual in Christ is something altogether different.
Old 15-07-2013, 12:46 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnature
Motivation is the key component when it comes to self-sanctification. Do we have a self-sanctification in the positive sense of separating ourselves from those things we know that are not good for us or not good for others, not in order to merit any more righteousness before God through that performance, but in light of all that God has already made us to be IN Christ (Our new identity). On the opposite end of that self-sanctification spectrum, we have those who suppose that their behavior is the source of their right standing with God, that is self-sanctification negatively. They suppose that becoming more righteous in practice will make them more righteous in God’s sight, faulty thinking on their part, Paul called it foolish. It will not gain them Heaven, it will not help them avoid the second death. Paul lets us know that in the book of Romans that God did not make Heaven for good people, God made Heaven for sinners who are justified freely by God’s grace. Paul did not set himself apart in order to gain a greater righteousness before God through his performance, but that he made his life-style (to the best he could) conform to who God had already made him to be in his sanctified or set-apart position being joined to Christ that he might more affectively reach others. That was Paul’s key motivation; there is a vast difference in those two motivations. Setting oneself apart for holiness is one thing, setting oneself apart because of the holy standing God has already given that individual in Christ is something altogether different.

newnature –Welcome to the forum. To make myself pure, holy or sinless seems to be an impossible task. I understand sanctification, but self-sanctification doesn’t seem possible. I cannot separate myself from the things I know wouldn’t merit righteousness before God. If I could, I suppose I would be a monk. My human errs are all that make up me just as my good deeds are. I won’t degrade myself because I’m not without what Christians call “sin.” I am human and as a human having living experiences I do as well as I can given my current state of mind. If I had complete control over that, would I be perfect? The answer would still be – no. I have regrets, but I don’t spend a lot of living time worrying about whether or not I’m getting into Heaven, but rather I try to keep a healthy sense of consciousness about what’s right and wrong, getting it wrong a lot. If God created us in this imperfect form, why would He want to judge us and punish us for our human errors?

Blackraven
Old 15-07-2013, 07:59 AM
justme50

To be good enough is all that matters. One should try to do good as one passes through life, and as little harm as possible.
Old 15-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Master

I don't believe we sanctify ourselves, only God does that. It's about trusting and being open to inspiration. Trying to be good for God doesn't make any sense because how good or bad I am doesn't affect God, it affects me. God is there to help me, not to accuse or condemn.

The motivation is to be free, it isn't to save others. If I try to save or 'lead' or 'teach' or 'reach' others I'll make them worse, but if I become free then those around me will be affected. But it won't help them if I think I'm supposed to be saving them, because they don't need saving, I do. If I look at others as 'needing' something I can give them, then I don't have a clue. It's actually me that's needing something. This idea of 'reaching the lost' is so dysfunctional, and I think Christians sense it.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:55 AM
StaroftheSea

Self Sanctification

Sanctification in Jesus

Jesus loves all of His Children (us) and wants the 'best' for our 'Souls' (ie Eternal Souls) however God has justice that needs to be administered for all Souls whom have not believed in Jesus (His Beloved Begotten Son) and this is the point of why many people who do believe in Jesus spread Jesus' Holy Scriptures in which they contain believing in Him. ie The Old Testament and New Testament Scriptures. This is exactly what satan does not want; people setting time aside to come to know Jesus/God through prayer, fasting on occasions, confessing all sins after each committed (cleans up our Souls for later), receiving Jesus in The Holy Eucharist by whatever means His Children can receive Him through the Holy Eucharist to Honour His Death, His Resurrection, Ascension into Heaven.

Jesus Last Supper: "Do this in Memory of Me".