Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 21-07-2012, 11:41 PM
amy green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
Here's another: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-bia071912.php

Not very earth-shaking by a long-shot. But still, I think awe and spirituality/religion belong hand in hand.

Interesting Matt. Don't know about you but when I experience awe it doesn't last long enough to be beneficial enough to apply to, say, decision making (as is suggested here). I was trying to visualise how they tested people when they were in awe! When you're in this state, you don't readily respond to rational questions! (Perhaps they are asked after their experience).

Old 23-07-2012, 11:25 AM
amy green

The emotion of awe seems to be very much in the news lately. (One definition is an experienced event that makes time stand still).

Here is an article from The Independent, Monday 23rd July (today!)

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/awe-is-good-for-mental-health-study-claims-7965146.html
----------------------------------------------------------

Whilst this article is fairly interesting, I don't think it's surprising. Your comments?

Edited by SF Staff

Last edited by arive nan : 03-03-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 23-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Master
"psychological science". Now there's an oxymoron for you
Old 23-07-2012, 02:43 PM
amy green

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
"psychological science". Now there's an oxymoron for you

Really? How so? A word ending in ology is regarded as a science, e.g. psychology.

Old 24-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy green

Really? How so? A word ending in ology is regarded as a science, e.g. psychology.

A collection of unproven theories based on dubious studies. Sociology is similar.
Old 24-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
A collection of unproven theories based on dubious studies. Sociology is similar.

lol...a bit like quantum physics!
Old 24-07-2012, 12:25 PM
amy green

Norseman - I guess the science of people (e.g. psychology and sociology) don't readily lend themselves to the laboratory environment....if that's your definition of science.

Psychology is grounded in the scientific method (i.e. the theories are tested and evaluated/validated) and sociology involves empirical investigations and critical analysis.

For me, whether these constitute as being labelled science is not the be and end all; if the answers resonates as being true then that's good enough, i.e. worth considering/accepting.

Old 24-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Master
Fish News for an Age of Enlightenment

This is a brilliant idea amy green. It's good to follow how the cracks in the system are letting some light in.

Do spiritual people need so-called scientific breakthroughs - or ways to fight the oppression of Western, white male dominated Cartesian science?!

Deepak Chopra has a recent book out called The War of the Worldviews - I love this and the direction it takes us because we need a paradigm shift before the whole human race goes down the toilet!

Here is a wonderful site bringing together academia and community partners working to break the ice of scientific dogma: http://tlc.oise.utoronto.ca/
Have a look at the kinds of conferences they are hosting.

United Nations is also a centre of light, and Amnesty International.

The Dalai Lama has opened the doors to all these Western expropriators who extract "mindfulness" out of the 8-fold path and ignore the rest....because at least they are sharing a piece of Buddhism. http://www.dalailama.com/messages/bu...e-and-religion

But the colonized and exploited are fighting back using research as a weapon. See also www.ipi.org.in/
The Indian Psychology Institute in Pondicheri

Thanks Amy for opening the door for these sharings!

p.s. Almost forgot - the most important one: www.blue-star.org
Old 24-07-2012, 01:12 PM
amy green

Duplicated post - oops!
Old 24-07-2012, 01:19 PM
amy green

Uma - thank you for contributing this post. Hopefully it will generate some feedback here.
The reason I started this thread though was to share breaking spiritual news (not ideas or courses), i.e. that is generated/made available to the general public.