Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 08-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound
Ok ... well just dismiss my post as same then ... if it helps you to support your claim ...

I didn't accuse you of anything, Sound. Methinks she doth protest too much.

Lora
Old 08-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemex
But the promise. If you find you ever change your mind would you tell me.

Sure, Lemex. But do you mean about this subject (unsolicited offerings) or just anything in general?

Lora
Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinie
I empathize HeyMA, as I know that I've been in both positions (turned off by the unsolicited wisdom and a follower of the poster of such...) They don't help me much but I keep in mind that they might be helping someone, even if it means becoming turned off by the new preacher. Kind of like an AA meeting? I'm not an alcoholic so the meetings don't really benefit me but they might be benefitting someone who is an alcoholic. *shrugs*

The flip of that is that I get the feeling that in these posts, these people are trying to explore themselves (which has its pros and cons...) and so in that sense I just leave them to explore and share ever so often.

I agree, Prinie, that someone may get something from it.

The AA analogy, though, isn't exactly the same because people who have commonalities and want information come to the meetings for that purpose. (Although I suppose we all come with the commonality of increasing spirituality.)

I guess sitting through other's speeches is the same as reading through posts offering advice ...for a question not asked.

This isn't something I spend a lot of time worrying about. It just struck me that I can read the first two sentences of those posts and hear whether or not there is (a) self-questioning or (b) question-asking or (c) question-answering going on.

And my real bugaboo, I guess, is a firmly-held belief that it is a sin against the soul for one to force their ideas on another.

But...this isn't exactly forcing.

Yeah, I can just go back to seeing it as part of public discourse.

Lora
Old 08-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbie
Wasnt it Silver Birch who said something along the lines of discarding things which dont sit well with us?

Yeah, and I guess I am sometime discarding before I absolutely know what the poster is saying.

But, we all make choices, one way or the other. I tend to pay attention to information I am seeking at the time. Maybe not the most efficient way.

Lora
Old 08-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate Carpark
Could you be more specific IsleWalker.
I understand what you're getting at, that if a person seeks advice, others share their "wisdom".

The there's the other element of discussion, a topic is begun and people just equally share their "wisdom" towards no one in particular.
And who knows where the discussion will go.

The bit i don't understand is how do you define unsolicited sharing of "wisdom".

Well, Carpark, without being too specific, let's say the topic is "Finding Your Center" and the poster begins the discussion, not with saying they have been thinking about this or someone else's post reminded them of this, but they begin by saying, "In order to find your center: (a) Do this (b) Do this.

That's what I mean.

I have no problem when someone throws a (controversial) topic out there, states there opinion and (explicitly or implicitly) invites others to participate.

I have no problem with someone, in response to a question, states what they think is true. They can state it as a certainty. I don't care as long as it's in response to something asked.

Again--this is not really the thing that bugs me most in the world, just a thought (based on experiences on the site).

This topic itself is one of those throwing out there a controversial subject. but I did ask for other thoughts.

Lora
Old 08-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Master
SquatchGuru said
"Maybe they're psychotic. "

That definitely helps

Not saying "maybe they're psychotic" ; I mean that being psychotic
definitely comes in handy on boards like this
Old 08-02-2012, 09:55 PM
silent whisper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleWalker
Yeah, and I guess I am sometime discarding before I absolutely know what the poster is saying.

But, we all make choices, one way or the other. I tend to pay attention to information I am seeking at the time. Maybe not the most efficient way.

Lora

Where we place our attention is what we receive. In placing your attention on what you dont like, I wonder if you receive more of it?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Master
i have no problem with folks preaching their personal profundities. it's when they insist that any other view but their own is invalid, that i must follow their way to their goal and if i don't i'm somehow lacking or even bound for some kind of nasty after life. i admit that i find that kind of attitude rather annoying.

but i've lately come to the point where i don't really care about the opinions of others as i really don't care much about my own. **shrug**
Old 08-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
more often than not, someone is talking about something that is real or works for them and they feel like it may be of use to someone else , so they say it.
That's what I do . At worst, it's someone doing vision takeover , and since I don't live in anyone else's reality, or think that they should live in mine, vision takeover doesn't get very far with me, or go very far coming from me.

Dar--

Yes, you're right that people put those kind of posts out there because they feel it is real and has some value for someone. Agreed.

Can you explain what "vision takeover" is?

Lora
Old 08-02-2012, 10:02 PM
silent whisper

Is vison takeover like walking in anothers shoes in understanding, compassion or empathy? Or all or none of them?