Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 29-08-2018, 06:27 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7luminaries
... The instinct to murder is one instinct that has been partially mastered in some places, largely under conditions of reasonable distribution of key survival items such as food and water and shelter. Also the instinct to steal more broadly, I would say. ...
Peace & blessings
7L
I don't believe there are such instincts as murdering, or stealing. Those actions are the result of other instincts and emotions.
Old 29-08-2018, 06:29 PM
Deactivated Account
Besides our obvious superior intelligence, the ability to reason and use common sense and logic (although not everyone makes good use of it...)
Old 29-08-2018, 07:04 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
I don't believe there are such instincts as murdering, or stealing. Those actions are the result of other instincts and emotions.
Invalan,
I agree that all instincts in humanity come under the purview of emotions AND of conscience, particularly.

The survival instinct run amok will lead others to take (steal) in situations of scarcity, without consideration of others (worst case).

The stealing of life, to appropriate the goods and household of others, is one obvious historic example of the instinct.

If done for other reasons, it is not an extension of the survival instinct run amok but due to other causes.

This gets back to out mutual point that these instincts (survival, procreation, domination and control of one's environment) are never pure instincts in humanity as they are in animals.

But nonetheless, they are there and we do an extremely poor job of managing the id if the conscience is not fully operational and the emotions are not centred and balanced.

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 30-08-2018, 04:36 AM
Master
Quote:
Mudering / killing out of cold blood is not instinctive. To help me word this do you put killing/mudering in the same category as hunting? I hate people who steal. And I feel you should earn what you have. But stealing is a survival instinct. When we're talking about instincts there are typically very basic. Let's say your in a extreme survival situation and it's very cold and you know it's going to get colder, you see a warm coat by someone's camp and no one is around. You know there not going to welcome you. You know you take the coat or freeze, what do you do? That's what instincts are there driven by survival. I don't believe there's 2 kinds of instincts.
Old 30-08-2018, 05:00 AM
Master
Quote:
We have to be careful not to start with a belief and look for arguments to confirm it. A hypothesis isn't the same thing as a belief.

The progression is nothing, instinct, emotion, intellect, intuition. We aren't more evolved than animals because of "our higher level of emotions" (which I would contest too), but because of our level of intellect.

Don't mix the DNA with the soul. The first belongs to physical, the second to non-physical.

Animals don't kill for sport, but from instinct.

There are spiritual experiences of all kinds. The issue is what we get from them, and the fact that what we get is, most of the time, not what the experience was meant to convey to us.
in the past few weeks I came up with a theory I am unsure about. Instead of possibly going off in the total wrong direction I am looking for feedback from others with more and different backgrounds then I have. Is that bad I am looking for outside feedback?
Old 30-08-2018, 09:01 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
there actually are a few animals that do kill for sport, house cats, and wild dogs. Some whales and elephants more the death of others. animals do learn for sure! Racoons and crows are some of the most intelligent animals. Like I mentioned the main difference between us and animals is our higher level of emotions and we can create and invent things.
Do they actually kill for sport, or are they doing what they've been 'hardwired' to do? Whether we have a higher level of emotion or not is moot but we're certainly better at showing it, especially anger. Animals are also creative and invent things although that hasn't stretched to fine single malts so they're not that clever.

To be honest I think the only real differences are of superiority but then animals aren't destroying the planet so effectively and efficiently, animals tend to be more eco-friendly and use a lot less plastic. I think humans should earn huge negative Brownie points for all the global damage they're causing.

Interestingly enough, in the movie The Matrix, Agent Smith is telling Morpheus that there is one of the natural world that man can be compared to, and that's a virus.
Old 30-08-2018, 09:23 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
Do they actually kill for sport, or are they doing what they've been 'hardwired' to do? Whether we have a higher level of emotion or not is moot but we're certainly better at showing it, especially anger. Animals are also creative and invent things although that hasn't stretched to fine single malts so they're not that clever.

To be honest I think the only real differences are of superiority but then animals aren't destroying the planet so effectively and efficiently, animals tend to be more eco-friendly and use a lot less plastic. I think humans should earn huge negative Brownie points for all the global damage they're causing.

Interestingly enough, in the movie The Matrix, Agent Smith is telling Morpheus that there is one of the natural world that man can be compared to, and that's a virus.
i couldn't agree more. what we're doing to the planet is wrong. Hope we can fix it before the earth decides to fix itself. Chances are if mother Earth fixes herself we're going to be in some major trouble. The farther away we get from nature the more we forget where we really come from. Some animals and people show a stronger drive to do different survival tasks. My neighbor let's her cat out all the time, from time to time I see dead mice in the yard. That cat has a strong hunting instinct. Where my cat could care less about hunting. Humans are similar.
Old 30-08-2018, 01:30 PM
Master
The body ...
Old 30-08-2018, 01:44 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
We can directly experience the Creator.
AS IF there was anything BUT the 'Creator'! What/Who do you 'dream' is 'dreaming' the 'dream'? LOL
Old 30-08-2018, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsun
AS IF there was anything BUT the 'Creator'! What/Who do you
'dream' is 'dreaming' the 'dream'? LOL
Good one!
Keep reminding me!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru