Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 25-08-2016, 07:40 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
The list of the kosha's first appear in the Taittiriya Upanishad, TU ch. 2. I which dates to around the 5th or 6th century BCE, or just a couple hundred years before the Buddha. The Five Sheaths are a series of increasingly subtle levels of the Self, and describe our bodily and energetic reality as humans:

Thankyou Sky that was informative.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 25-08-2016, 07:40 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Self
I've read about these sheaths as well and it all makes sense, I'm just not sure what to do about it.

When you say you don't know what to do, are you feeling you could do more in this regard? Remembering that action less action requires a point of balance within that can view it from this more complete.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 25-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
The list of the kosha's first appear in the Taittiriya Upanishad, TU ch. 2. I which dates to around the 5th or 6th century BCE, or just a couple hundred years before the Buddha. The Five Sheaths are a series of increasingly subtle levels of the Self, and describe our bodily and energetic reality as humans:

Some say the 5 Skhandas are similar.
But here again, what does one do with that information?
Old 25-08-2016, 10:13 AM
Master
Quote:
But here again, what does one do with that information?

Read it, digest it, enjoy it and then store it for later use or just ignore
Old 25-08-2016, 10:27 AM
Master
Funny but that's not what I meant. I think one approach might methods of approaching other dimensions such as drumming and journeying. It seems this level of consciousness can only offer what this level is.
Old 25-08-2016, 11:10 AM
Master
To me it means I'm here living; connected to life itself. Aware, and sharing a moment of existence with everything.
Old 25-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Master
It will always mean that to me as well but in addition I believe it means more
Old 25-08-2016, 02:04 PM
Suspended
Master

Quote:
It seems this level of consciousness can only offer what this level is.

That's an amazing sentence to me. To me it relates to how we "know." It refers to a "knowing" that I can only know me, therefore, to move beyond me, I have to let go of me knowing. (Which is a knowing lol.... thus the paradox of language.)

It's like a person who knows they know nothing. This results in less ego or a humbling of the self. Or, a self inquiry that results in a stopping of self as thought and thinking. A being in the present moment with an awareness and letting go of what is normally brought into the experience. An understanding of what you are and how this relates to what actually is, which changes what you are in this moment.
Old 25-08-2016, 04:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanWind
That's an amazing sentence to me. To me it relates to how we "know." It refers to a "knowing" that I can only know me, therefore, to move beyond me, I have to let go of me knowing. (Which is a knowing lol.... thus the paradox of language.)

It's like a person who knows they know nothing. This results in less ego or a humbling of the self. Or, a self inquiry that results in a stopping of self as thought and thinking. A being in the present moment with an awareness and letting go of what is normally brought into the experience. An understanding of what you are and how this relates to what actually is, which changes what you are in this moment.
Actually that sentence was the result of my struggling with the recent earthquake in Italy and how those poor people were crushed in their beds and how the city was packed on that day because of a festival.
I struggle with such things because I won't settle for the standard answers religion or science offers such as karma, illusion or even that it means there is no God.
I conclude that I do not know, that it is over my head, that in this state of consciousness and how it knows things, that it is beyond that.
For every event that shakes my faith, there are 3 that I have had the pleasure to experience that leave me in awe. No closer or smarter, just in awe. I really don't know anything beyond what this level of consciousness can know.
Old 26-08-2016, 06:22 AM
Suspended
Master

Quote:
I struggle with such things because I won't settle for the standard answers religion or science offers such as karma, illusion or even that it means there is no God.

I've read a lot of books about these topics and thought a lot about it so I view the whole thing differently than the 3 common viewpoints, that there is a God that made all of this, there is no God, or evolution made everything or various versions of these.

I do believe in a God type concept or the "source" of our conscious energy but from my studies, it exists at a much higher level than where the common concepts put it. It is indirectly involved in creation of things like us and planets but not directly. We all are a part of it and are all linked up to it, but all of this down here is our creation, whether we are creating from the physical body or creating from the energy dimension between incarnations. So all of the "mistakes" we see down here are due to us and our imperfections, not some God.