Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Closed Thread

Old 23-09-2006, 01:18 AM
rose

chanting

hi

i'm new to chanting regularly and am curious about it's physical effects.

the other day i was chanting and each time i took a breath my voice went went up nearly a perfect note each time. it hasn't happened since. any views about why this happened? vibrational changes?

thanks
rose
Old 26-09-2006, 02:06 AM
mikron

Hi Rose the adventure you started is Light Fantasic ! there are 2 aspects that will help you understand this subject !
1)chanting opens the throat chakra for people starting a spiritual quest which means over time you will speak a higher truth that relates to your Soul! also relates to a deeper breathing pattern !

2) Chanting can (*especially ohm) can open the chakras in your ears over time and this is especially help in connecting with your guides becuase as you Light increases you can go to higher dimensional reality and you guides will come down one level and youll meet in the middle !

Namaste mikron
Old 26-09-2006, 02:35 AM
BLAIR2BE

"positive" vibration (or frequency) not only is beneficial for you, the vibration carries out to join and interact with the "collective" or global vibration/frequency...
good vibes produce good vibes, remember this in daily life, its a simple lesson for all:>)
Old 26-09-2006, 09:07 AM
rose

thanks mikron and blair. i appreciate your response :) i love chanting
Old 26-09-2006, 05:44 PM
e-ma

Chanting really quite literally changed my life. I was totally addicted to it last year and chanted every moment I could, whenever I wasn't at work. It had some profound and permanent effects for me, my voicetone has now changed permanently, it has gone into a much deeper, smoother more controlled sound and I am quite proud of how I sound now (before I think I always sounded tight and insecure).

I believe that it helped me to open a lot of my chakras, the crown, third eye and the throat, I could feel the changes happening and see the difference in myself and throughout my whole life. I feel now that I operate permanently on a different vibration, which is great, it is much calmer and more harmonious, and I can think much more clearly. Whenever I have a hard time I just chant to get through it and before long can achieve a state of peace again. Enjoy!
Old 27-09-2006, 03:44 PM
kundalini

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-ma
Chanting really quite literally changed my life. I was totally addicted to it last year and chanted every moment I could, whenever I wasn't at work. It had some profound and permanent effects for me, my voicetone has now changed permanently, it has gone into a much deeper, smoother more controlled sound and I am quite proud of how I sound now (before I think I always sounded tight and insecure).

I believe that it helped me to open a lot of my chakras, the crown, third eye and the throat, I could feel the changes happening and see the difference in myself and throughout my whole life. I feel now that I operate permanently on a different vibration, which is great, it is much calmer and more harmonious, and I can think much more clearly. Whenever I have a hard time I just chant to get through it and before long can achieve a state of peace again. Enjoy!

Hi e-ma, I have developed a slight interest in chanting at the moment although I have not yet particularly done any. In the book 'The Lightworker's Way' by 'Doreen Virtue', she said that chanting 'Ohm' was beneficial for matters of manifestation.

You did not say what chants you use and what their effects are. Any chance you could take the time to tell me? Many thanks, Kundalini.
Old 27-09-2006, 04:12 PM
e-ma

Hi Kundalini,

Sure, no worries.. I did start off with a Buddhist chant, a simple karma avoiding mantra which was on a CD.

I progressed to Hindu chants pretty quickly though, because of their powerful nature and general brightness, dramaticness, I guess they were just really beautiful and striking to me.

I bought a CD by Krishna Das called 'Breath of the Heart' and that was what got me totally addicted. The chants go from 'Jaya Seeya Rama, Hanuman', obviously, about Sita, Rama, and Hanuman (the monkey), to 'Om Namah Shivayah', which is a really powerful one about Shiva. There are some about Krishna, and other aspects of Hindu worship.

What they helped me to do the most was understand God and feel a lot of emotion towards God. When I chant I concentrate on opening myself up and it's like both prayer and meditation to me. The more you do it, the more you want to do it. It was only after a year that I realised that some made me really hyper and some others calmed me down. I didn't really understand any of that before but just plunged in and chanted the whole CD again and again and again. It kind of just becomes a part of your psyche and innermost being in the end, it feels very natural.

Edited to add: I find that when I have been living 'not mindfully', or say have been spending a lot of time socializing or not thinking about God / spirituality, then I have to chant really loudly for it to make an impact on me. When I have been living a pure life, peacefully and mindfully, then all I have to do is chant very quietly and can almost immediately achieve a bliss-state.

Last edited by e-ma : 27-09-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old 27-09-2006, 04:26 PM
kundalini

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-ma
Hi Kundalini,

Sure, no worries.. I did start off with a Buddhist chant, a simple karma avoiding mantra which was on a CD.

I progressed to Hindu chants pretty quickly though, because of their powerful nature and general brightness, dramaticness, I guess they were just really beautiful and striking to me.

I bought a CD by Krishna Das called 'Breath of the Heart' and that was what got me totally addicted. The chants go from 'Jaya Seeya Rama, Hanuman', obviously, about Sita, Rama, and Hanuman (the monkey), to 'Om Namah Shivayah', which is a really powerful one about Shiva. There are others about Krishna and various other aspects of Hindu worship.

What they helped me to do the most was understand God and feel a lot of emotion towards God. When I chant I concentrate on opening myself up and it's like both prayer and meditation to me. The more you do it, the more you want to do it. It was only after a year that I realised that some made me really hyper and some others calmed me down. I didn't really understand any of that before but just plunged in and chanted the whole CD again and again and again. It kind of just became a part of my psyche and innermost being in the end, it feels very natural.

Thanks for sharing that e-ma. Your post here has given me a lot of food for thought. As I am unsure about chanting and the effects of chanting but with regards to what you say about it allowing you a more profound connection with God, is the act of chanting self-healing and/or can chanting really be used to create effects in the outside world such as the one professed to be of great benefit by Doreen Virtue? Can anyone answer me this?

I also noticed that you, e-ma, said that you used a specific chanting exercise designed to avoid karma. Can you tell me a bit more about that when you have the time e-ma?

Thanks for reading, Kundalini.
Old 28-09-2006, 12:26 AM
rose

thanks e-ma for your encouraging words :)

i practise Nichirin buddhism where one chants two chapters of the lotus sutra, and the it's title nam myoho renge kyo.

i have also chanted the tibetan ohm mane padme hum which i've been told emcompasses many of budda's teachings.

Kundalini....great questions. i too am curious about why chanting seems to have powerful physical effects as well as spiritual.
Old 29-09-2006, 01:43 PM
e-ma

Hiya kundalini,

I haven't read that book by Doreen Virtue, but I feel deep down that chanting can definitely affect the world around you. I feel that I have changed the vibration of my very being which has a great knock-on effect to people around me and things that happen.

As for being self-healing, perhaps it helps in this way by raising the vibration of your being (that's a concept that I have only just learned on this forum, but understand it completely!)

As for the karma avoiding mantra, I wouldn't have a clue how to spell the words that are chanted, so I'm sorry but can't help any further!

Hiya rose,

Those chants sound beautiful and very meaningful too, it sounds lovely. I got such a profound effect from chanting similar Hindu teachings, say you might have a simple line like, "God is in the heart of all things", which seems pretty innocuous, but if you chant this for four or five hours a day, over several months - wow! Your understanding of that simple truth is deepened and amplified to a massive degree. That is how I 'realized' a lot of spiritual truths.

They say that to set a mantra in your being, you have to chant it every day for 45 days. I think that I chanted for hours each day, and after about a month my chakras burst open and I became reborn in a sense.

I think a lot of the physical affects come from the change in breathing. When you breathe normally, you are taking in a breath to the count of one, or two, then an ourbreath for one or two. When you do the chants, suddenly your outbreath is being elongated to the count of six, twelve, or more. Breathwork can be really powerful, so you have not only the vibration of chanting and the intent in your mind, but you have the breathing exercises on top! I'm sure that's what made the difference for me. Practising for so many hours each day really made a massive change to my physiology, and activated a lot of energies that were previously unknown to me.

Take care
Closed Thread