Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 10:13 PM
Experiencer

Canadian government apologises to Indigenous people.

Last tuesday a reort on the systematic abuse of Indigenius people was released with 94 recommendations. The report is called the TRC document, which stands for 'Truth & Reconciliation Committee..

Since 1840 and up to 1996 150,000 children of Inuit & Metis tribal groups in Fort Albany, Ontario were taken from their families and placed in church governed so called Residential schools.. These frightened children were in the charge of nuns mostal.. The school were set up to break the spirit and to stamp out everything Indian about these children..

They were kept their against their will, you know the drill forbidden to speak their Ojibwa lamguage and told to speak either French or English.. Beaten half starved, kept in dorms 40 to a room. beaten and abused, never to see their families again..
The survivor gave 7,000 statements, there were over 6000 children murdered. Abuse was , physical, Mental and even sexual..
Since the announcement last tuesday there have been 150,000 tweets on this.

The Canadian government supposedly apologise to some survivors by a photocopyed letter signed by the PM Stephen Harrup.. that was back in 2008.
The survivors were offered 'Compensation' who knows if they ever actually got it and how the hell can one put a price on what was done to them..

How come this has taken so long. I saw some photos on line of the children crammed together, even heard an interview with one 54 yr old man who was still so terribly affected broke my heart...
How can any amount on money compensate for generation of Genocude!!!!

There are more horrors concerning the abduction and murder of young girls from various tribal communities in Manitoba, I saw a website earlier in the week, I think its called Red River Women...it is also heart breaking..

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman : 07-06-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:46 PM
Master
it is another stain on Canada, the church and humanity, all started by the British. Those people believed they were doing right by taking away the children from families they deemed "savages". That was the mentality back then. In many minds, it is still much the same today.

So many people must have had to turn a blind eye and keep secrets to allow those crimes to continue for as long as they did.

No sum can compensate, this is true. The Canadian government continues to devalue the indigenous people, buying back status cards, taking back land, not abiding by treaties, not investigating crimes against Aboriginal people the same way they investigate crimes against whites....
Old 08-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Experiencer

i'm appalled at what they did or were doing and that it was largely hidden. Having checked this out on line and listened to some of those damaged people, their lives are permanently damaged. One man said he only felt safe when they took him back to his former 'Residential school' by standing in the sun with his back against the wall. He is 54 now and was taken about 3 or 4 years old. He physically was trembling when he related some of the abuse he had suffered..

I notice that this kind of thing stemmed from the so called Indian Removal Act which actually was a US Bill, as the people fled north to Canada the same persecution began there but it remained hidden for longer.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:03 AM
Ascender
This is really disgusting. It went on until 1996???? That wasn't very long ago and bare in mind many of the ones responsible would still be around and remember it.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:44 AM
Master
But crimes of this sort, against children and animals, are not looked upon as criminal in law books...they are possessions of the human adult who take charge over them...and all will be well in them when they bow to their god and seek forgiveness as good christians.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:46 PM
Suspended
Religion is all about social order and control. Now you know why I seem so negative about religion in these forums. And not like online preachers.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:31 PM
Administrator
I have to agree with Thunder Bow,religion causes nothing but upset.

Namaste
Old 08-06-2015, 09:31 PM
Experiencer

I also concur atrocities were perpetrated under the guise of Religious Do gooders!! How dreadful is that, I cannot believe this went on for so long and I have to say to heck with compensation, had I been the subject of this abuse, I'd want the people responsible no matter how old they were to be brought to account!!
y
Old 08-06-2015, 11:48 PM
Administrator
I Agree with you but nothing and no amount of money can compensate the people for what was inflicted upon them.
the people responsible will have to face up to it in one way or another.what goes around comes around, the wheel doesn't stop turning.
I have Native blood in me but I was bought up a celt living in wales we too have suffered at the hands of the Saxons (English)they drowned one village not far from here because the English needed water.the people were forced out of their homes graveyards drowned coffins could be seen floating,it is only a few years ago we had an apology from the government for it, but like everything else it comes with a folklore.when the water is low you will hear the church bells ringing again, and the English will pay,
the celtic people are on a par to Native people the way of life is very similar or maybe its just me that thinks that because I was with my grandmother more than anyone and she remembered the old ways both in Arizona and here.

Namaste
Old 09-06-2015, 12:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Wolf Medicine Woman
Last tuesday a reort on the systematic abuse of Indigenius people was released with 94 recommendations. The report is called the TRC document, which stands for 'Truth & Reconciliation Committee..

Since 1840 and up to 1996 150,000 children of Inuit & Metis tribal groups in Fort Albany, Ontario were taken from their families and placed in church governed so called Residential schools.. These frightened children were in the charge of nuns mostal.. The school were set up to break the spirit and to stamp out everything Indian about these children..

They were kept their against their will, you know the drill forbidden to speak their Ojibwa lamguage and told to speak either French or English.. Beaten half starved, kept in dorms 40 to a room. beaten and abused, never to see their families again..
The survivor gave 7,000 statements, there were over 6000 children murdered. Abuse was , physical, Mental and even sexual..
Since the announcement last tuesday there have been 150,000 tweets on this.

The Canadian government supposedly apologise to some survivors by a photocopyed letter signed by the PM Stephen Harrup.. that was back in 2008.
The survivors were offered 'Compensation' who knows if they ever actually got it and how the hell can one put a price on what was done to them..

How come this has taken so long. I saw some photos on line of the children crammed together, even heard an interview with one 54 yr old man who was still so terribly affected broke my heart...
How can any amount on money compensate for generation of Genocude!!!!

There are more horrors concerning the abduction and murder of young girls from various tribal communities in Manitoba, I saw a website earlier in the week, I think its called Red River Women...it is also heart breaking..

Seems like the Government makes a formal apology about the Residential Schools in 2008.

Speech made in parliament https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCpn1erz1y8

text: http://caid.ca/CanPMApol061108.pdf

Australia has a similar history with the 'mission schools' and the 'stolen generation'. National apology was also made in 2008.