Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 31-03-2015, 02:30 PM
Raven Poet

Question Change Name of this sub forum?

Hi there. I would like to offer a suggestion with warm-hearted respect, please. It's been something on my mind for a while now as a happy member of SF, and it now feels like a good time to bring this up.

Might it be possible to change the name of this sub forum?

"Native American" is a term I hear commonly used to refer to the Indigenous Peoples of the United States. But the Indigenous Peoples of Canada and Mexico don't use this term - we can't because we are not "American".

I know some Indigenous peoples in the US use the term "Native American" when identifying themselves, and I respect their right to do this.

With humble respect, I'd suggest re-naming this sub forum to "North American Indigenous". It would still encompass all the distinct Indigenous Nations of Turtle Island (North America) as a general term, for I can appreciate there can't be a sub forum for each Nation. (That would require probably a ton more pages!)

I wasn't sure "who" to address this to, so I thought I'd put it here for one of the forum moderators to see. Please feel free to PM me if necessary.

And if this can't be done, I will accept that and remain a happy member of SF, but if I could ask for a bit of an explanation as to why not, that would be fabulous - just so I understand the reason better (I'm not very technology savvy!)

If I have unintentionally offended anyone by posing this suggestion, please excuse me for what I have said, I am sorry.

Kitchi Miigwetch! A huge thank you for considering this!
Old 31-03-2015, 05:02 PM
Newbie ;)

I am very new to this forum but I had those very same thoughts. There are indigenous communities around the world. Thank You.

Kchi Migwech Gzheminido Kinagego
Old 31-03-2015, 09:34 PM
Experiencer

I know what you mean.. Maybe First Nations people would tick some boxes...
I understand that there were in excess of 600 separate indigenous peoples...
Old 31-03-2015, 09:42 PM
Newbie ;)

indeed...and that is just north of the 49th...:)
Old 01-04-2015, 12:36 AM
Guide
Location: Up a mountain communing with the Grandfathers, Ancestors, Ravens n Horses beside the Stones
I always refer to myself n others of my kind as 1st Nations n that go's world wide. So I'd agree to a change, how about contacting Admin about it?

Makoiyi

Here's where we go off the map.
Out past the power lines,
up that little side road without a sign.
Hidden from the mainstream.

Keeper's of the Ancient future, Keepers of the Drum.
They don't preserve it.....
They live it......!
Old 01-04-2015, 12:52 AM
Neville

Thank you all, This suggestion has now been accepted and acted upon.

Last edited by Neville : 01-04-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:35 PM
Newbie ;)

Respectfully, I ask that you be of peace and of peaceful mind for what I wish to say today. I thank you Neville for this consideration and response. And I speak from my heart when I share this with you.
It must be understood though that the indigenous peoples were and are spiritual peoples since time immemorial. While many see the indigenous peoples through myth and legend it must be told that we have had our prophesies,
philosophies and oral cultures long before contact and colonization. And while many good people have embraced religion, before contact indigenous peoples were a spiritual people understanding that we are all related and our relationships are integral to the mother that sustains us, the air that we breathe, the water that we drink and most certainly the sun. The birds and the animals, the fish, the trees.....all is integral to life and is respected.

With that said, I hope that you consider my request that this thread be named simply "Indigenous peoples" It will speak to all peoples that way.

Thank you for listening my friend.

Kchi Migwech Gzheminido Kinagego
Old 01-04-2015, 07:32 PM
Neville

Hello makwaiskwew,

Within the context that these are first and foremost a spiritual forum I have somewhat truncated the sub forums title to Faiths of Indigenous Peoples

Though having said that an alternative could be "Beliefs of Indigenous Peoples"

My personal view is that some allusion to the spiritual context within the forum and forums this sub forum is , should have mention. "Indigenous Peoples" alone would seem to omit the nature of this sub forum within it's current context and in the worst case even become a basis for political expression, which is of course far removed from the spirituality orientated nature on which this part of the forum ( Religions & Faiths) is based.

However ,Thank you for your feed back in this regard
Old 01-04-2015, 10:31 PM
Raven Poet

Booshoo and Hello to all my Relatives!

Thank you very much for hearing us, Neville and Co! I was delighted to see the new forum name.

Delightfully inclusive.

(Lovely photo of the feather, btw)!

Thanks so much again.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:32 PM
Raven Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Wolf Medicine Woman
I know what you mean.. Maybe First Nations people would tick some boxes...
I understand that there were in excess of 600 separate indigenous peoples...
Whoa! More than 600! Incredible ... thanks for sharing this.